Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #1

I am still in the learning process since I haven't dealt with satelites in my previous units so please bare with me. I did a lot of reading on this but still have questions.
1. When I am outside of my local area, do I need additional service (meaning paying more per month than I do in my stick house) to catch the 110 (ABC, CBS, etc.)? Last week I was about 200 miles from home and couldn't catch any of these, do you know how much football I missed??
2. I have a KVH roof mount and when obstructed by trees what is my best portable unit to go with? Do I just plug this unit into the wall plate in the basement compartment and leave the KVH off? Tips on set up??

Thanks...Ted
2007 Bounder 36Z

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

I am still in the learning process since I haven't dealt with satelites in my previous units so please bare with me. I did a lot of reading on this but still have questions.
1. When I am outside of my local area, do I need additional service (meaning paying more per month than I do in my stick house) to catch the 110 (ABC, CBS, etc.)? Last week I was about 200 miles from home and couldn't catch any of these, do you know how much football I missed??
2. I have a KVH roof mount and when obstructed by trees what is my best portable unit to go with? Do I just plug this unit into the wall plate in the basement compartment and leave the KVH off? Tips on set up??

Thanks...Ted
2007 Bounder 36Z

Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #3

I assume because of the 101 satellite you have Direct TV. If your home 'base' is not the N.Y. City area, you will lose your local channels after about 200 miles. NY feeds are beamed throughout the country.
On your second question, if you have a "satellite" connection, you can hook up a remote antenna, if you only have a "cable" connection, you will need to run a new RG-6 cable and not use any splitters (like you probably have in the 'cable'. If you need to split the line, you need to use a 'di-plexer'.
I installed an exterior "satellite" imput connector on the exterior and installed a 'antenna 1 / antenna 2' switch so I can choose between the automatic roof dish and the tripod remote dish.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #4

Added; As to the type of remote dish, if you plan on having both tvs on the same station, you only need a single LNB antenna & only have to run 1 wire. Get on mounted on a tripod.
Buy a good compass & get the settings for the degrees (southwest)& the elevation by turning on your tv, go to menu, & dish pointing. Put in the zip code where you are and it will display the settings. When using the compass, be sure not to have it near metal as it will effect the readings. Turn up the TV to hear the signal tone. Move the antenna only slightly & slowly.
As to added service to get the local channels where you are, Direct TV has an added package that will alow you to receive the locals when traveling in a motor home. A waiver must be signed by you giving the info on your MH. Go to Direct TVs web site for the info & a downloadable form. Good luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Enforcer--

If you have Direct TV service you will need "distant signal reception" from Direct TV. Give them a call and request a waiver for this service. You will need to provide them with a copy of your RV registration (or title). This process will take about 4 weeks and will cost $9.00/month- when approved. Be sure to call them if it's not coming in by then. You'll get the east coast and west coast feeds for ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX on channels 380, 381, 382, 383. 386. 387, 388, 389.

If you require HI-DEF- you'll need a waiver for that- $9.99/month-- then the channels will be the 80's to the 90's on Direct TV. Of course you'll also need HDTV's and HI-Def satellite receivers and a 5 LNB antenna larger than the standard round antenna. I've just gone through all the HI-DEF upgrades in my rig. I have an outside antenna permanently installed in Maine for the summer, for HI-DEF. I use the cable input to route the signal to the front TV-- as said before, no splitters - a clear line fom the antenna to the satellite (input) terminal. I use an A B switch (radio shack- about $15) to select either the dome antenna or the tripod antenna.

Good luck
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry -- my post should have been to Rajuncajun
Old 11-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have a follow-up to this question. We have Direct TV, and we were going to add the national channels (we "mirror" our house reception in the coach for $5.95/mo per receiver), but when we got the paperwork from them to add those channels, they said they would then have to charge us the full fee for the coach receivers as they were no longer "mirroring" the house receiver. That would be ridiculously expensive, so we didn't do it. Any advice?? Or have they changed their policy?

Thanks in advance!

Brenda, of...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Retired enforcer,
I've hooked up to my cable connection that is hooked to a switch & the D* satelite works well, I've read that this shouldn't work in this months Highways, but it does. Glad I did it before I read it.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brenda & Tony--

I've had my distant signal reception for over 5 years now, and its fuzzy how I did it.

It's true it would require two subscriptions to receive Direct TV,one at home and one in the motor home for travel purposes-- I also have minimum cable service at home for local channels. I think I just changed my service to the motor home completely. I've had no problem with the Direct TV folks with this setup.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 AM   #10

Thanks guys it's getting a little clearer. I do though have Dish Network not Direct, not that it seems to matter, just two birds to look for instead of one. I do have an exterior "satelite in" connection, so I should be able to plug the portable dish directly in there. I'm not sure the logistics of switching between the roof mount and the portable, may just be a matter of trial an error. Seems Winnegard portable with a Tripod is the way to go. Any other input would be appreciated if there is any other advice out there!
Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two points:

Dish and Direct seem to be working off of different rules for National coverage. There is a huge underlying issue against both by the advertisers who don't want either of them to be able to beam advertisements into other areas and have jumped up and down to the FCC to maintain limits.

I picked the Winegard tripod because it is easy for me to leave it all assembled and stuff it into my basement door as a unit. Actually, that is usually one of the last things that I do after I have the slide retracted and am ready to pull out. If storage and ease of takeout and put away were not issues from me, I'd go the PVC pipe route. There are a couple of examples of frames that people have made which are far more stable than the tripod in heavy weather situations. I've improved my tripod's stability by suspending one or two gallon jugs of water from the tripod, depending on the current conditions. The PVC stands appear much easier to level, too, making them better platforms during the aiming process.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chasfm11:
Two points:

Dish and Direct seem to be working off of different rules for National coverage. There is a huge underlying issue against both by the advertisers who don't want either of them to be able to beam advertisements into other areas and have jumped up and down to the FCC to maintain limits.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the TV stations pay the networks for EXCLUSIVE rights to broadcast network programming in their area. These contracts between the local providers and the networks are all exclusive and no other entity has the legal right to broadcast network programming in that area. Advertisers only enter into this equation by paying the local channels to run their ads. The locals then use this revenue to pay the networks for exclusive rights to broadcast network programming and hopefully what is remaining is their profit.

Without these exclusive rights to broadcast there would be no free to the public over the air TV service.

Dish Network violated these exclusive agreements and the FCC had to step in to protect the local providers rights. DirecTV did not.

-Tom

Tom N is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tell you folks that the Direct TV satellite (101) is slightly higher in elevation in the southern sky. If you plan on traveling to northern tier states you should consider this in your selection process. We have spent the past three years in coastal, central Maine, and my neighbors all had Dish and all had trouble with their reception. An RV sales and repair facility told me they hate to see Dish systems up there because it is such a problem to get decent reception-- Just bringing this to your attention.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have Dish, you can get the distant networks, PBS, ABC, CBS, NBC, both East and West coast for around $10 a month, they will come in on sat 119, if you have a 2 head dish, you can call in your zip code and get the spot beam locals where you are for your reg price. Someone asked about Direct, you need 2 accounts, 1 for house, 1 for RV, and they allow you to turn the one account you aren't using off between trips. We have Dish, when we on on the road, I pay $60 to American Direct for 6 months of both the East and West coast network feeds and drop the locals as we only have the reg Wineguard dish.