Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ditch the dish?

Our 2000 Jayco Designer 3230K had a Winegard satellite dish from new. It's one of those white fold-back jobs with the crank in the ceiling. We bought the RV three years ago and never used it and probably never will.

The rig has developed a (hopefully minor) roof leak that has damaged the wood under the rubber membrane in the front corner of the roof. It includes the area around the dish.

I'm planning my repair strategy. My question for the audience is whether to simply eliminate the dish when doing my roof work. Given that this dish is already 15 years old, I don't know whether the hypothetical future buyer would need to replace it anyway. Is there any value in keeping it? Or should I eliminate it since it's (a) useless wind resistance and (b) one more roof penetration to leak?

All opinions (valid, ridiculous, half-baked, and otherwise) welcome!

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had one of those on a TT we owned. If it's the same model, there was a significant hole (1" or so) for the shaft mechanism to pass through. You would need to patch in something to cover that hole.
Personally, I'd go over the base with eternabond tape or Dicor and leave it in place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
There is zero value in keeping the dish as far as being able to ever use it is concerned. I would be inclined to lose it entirely since you already have a problem in that area of the roof. Getting it out of the way will likely make inspection of the problem AND the repair easier and more sure.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #4

I also would lose the dish. That will give you the opportunity to dry the area under it and check for damage. If your roof is anything like mine, the underlayment may be OSB. If it has gotten wet you can plan on replacing it. Mine was 3/8" thick and plywood was a better replacement.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:38 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies everyone! This is helpful. I just wasn't sure if the thing was technologically obsolete anyway. Sounds like it should probably go.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #6
JCM

Triple E Owners Club
Use expanding foam in the hole. Place a smoke detector over the inside of the hole hole - to hide it. Finally use proper roof sealant. If a rubber roof use the patch kit from Camping World. Make sure you clean the old roof - sand paper will work.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:11 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good idea with the foam. Thanks! How I handle the roof membrane will depend on what I end up having to deal with on the rest of the repair job. May end up changing the membrane anyway...

Old 10-31-2015, 11:15 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
While I'm doing the roof and have everything off, should I re-install the TV batwing antenna? Or is there something markedly better for over-the-air TV these days?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
While I'm doing the roof and have everything off, should I re-install the TV batwing antenna? Or is there something markedly better for over-the-air TV these days?

Thanks!
I replaced my batwing antenna a few months ago with the new Winegard Rayzar antenna. Easy installation and it works very well.

Winegard Rayzar Automatic - Automatic RV Antenna

Good luck with your roof repairs!

SWag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish