Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,135
DIY Awning Extension Project

I decided to add an awning extension to my Carefree main awning. I wanted a bit more sun protection and privacy. Screen cuts the available light by about 40% (depending on the weave). This project is applicable to nearly any awning on any type RV so everything described is rather general. My goal was to make a screen that was wide enough to fit nearly the entire awning width and long enough to "almost" reach the ground with the awning in the position I use most ... for me, that's about 8 ft from the roller to the ground. I'm 6'3" so your preferred height might be different. It hangs from the accessory slot in my awning roller.

The project costs about $100 depending on size and what you can scrounge for free.

Photos are in a PhotoBucket Album and the text is here. The Photos aren't in sequence so just rummage around and you'll get the idea.

All the parts were from Home Depot and WalMart (except thread from fabric store).

If you can't sew, or find someone that can, your project is done !!

Tools you will need:

1) a stout sewing machine ... if it can mend jeans it's fine.
2) grommet tool with some (you'll probably need more) grommets (Home Depot).
3) hammer.
4) utility scissors or utility knife.

Parts you will need:

1) a roll of screen that meets your needs for width and length (my roll was 96" X 25').
2) extra grommets.
3) a spool of "Outdoor UV resistant thread" ... commonly used for outdoor furniture cushions (JoAnn's Fabrics ... about $6).
4) Camco party light holders or similar.
5) Ball bungees.
6) Adjustable bungees in a length of about 4'.
7) sturdy tent stakes.
8) wine bags (I get 1 for free with every 4 bottles at Publix Supermarket).

Start by figuring out how high you want the awning and how close to the ground you want it to hang. My height was 8 ft. so I needed a 96" width roll of screen. Due to hemming you'll lose about 2". The total width of my awning (front to back) is 20' but the slot in the roller is about 19'. I decided to make my screen 18 1/2' ... a little gap on each end.

So, I cut my screen to 18 1/2' plus 2" ... 18' 8".

Double hem each side about 1/2" ... this means fold the fabric about 1/2" (on the 96" side) and stitch it ... I use a tight zig-zag. Fold it again and stitch again. This will leave a hem with 3 layers of screen (at the edge) on each 96" side.

Double hem the top and bottom about 2". This will create a wide hem of 3 layers to carry the grommets at the top and bottom. The total remaining height of the awning will now be about 7' 4" (96" minus (2,2,2,2)). This allows a drop at the roller for hanging hardware and a few inches gap at the bottom so it doesn't drag.

Install your grommets ... I used 10 one top and 10 on the bottom. I installed 2 with closer spacing at each corner. This is to allow a sideways bungee at each corner for tension.

Have a beer ... you just spent about 3 hours sewing.

It's time to hang the screen. I used Camco party light holders, Quick clips, and ball bungees to attach to my awning roller slot. See the pics ... you'll get the idea. The holders and Quick clips allow fast and easy removal in the event of a storm. Spin the nuts and slip the bungees from the clips in about 2 minutes or less. Drop the screen, roll up the awning, slip the screen under the RV, get out of the storm!

Now we''ll get to the anchoring. Depending on the angle you want the screen, and whether you are on dirt/sand or concrete, you'll use the tent stakes and adjustable bungees ... or, (I know you were wondering) the wine bags filled with sand/rock.

You can't have too many wine bags ... they are made of recycled materials and eventually fall apart. I use them to weight all kinds of stuff and to store stuff.

Awning Extension Project Photos by bdkolber | Photobucket


I'm very happy with mine. it's easily adaptable to any size ... you can add end panels if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3083826.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	57760  
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
pddgm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunrise Beach, MO
Posts: 193
Very interesting, what kind of screen did you use? Aluminum or nylon?
__________________

__________________
Joe
2000 Pace Arrow 33v
2016 GMC Terrain, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
Very interesting, what kind of screen did you use? Aluminum or nylon?
Nylon ... 18 X 14 mesh

Phifer 96 in. x 25 ft. Charcoal Fiberglass Screen 18x14 Mesh-3003400 at The Home Depot
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
Ours looks about the same except that it's black and when hanging you can barely see the coach on the other side of it. It's also 19' x 8' and slides into the track on the awning rail. A couple here in FL make them and ours was $90 plus the bungees and stakes which we purchased at the flea market. They use the same material that is used on the window sun shades. It sure gives some privacy, cuts down on the heat and gives you and extra patio room to enjoy.
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Ours looks about the same except that it's black and when hanging you can barely see the coach on the other side of it. It's also 19' x 8' and slides into the track on the awning rail. A couple here in FL make them and ours was $90 plus the bungees and stakes which we purchased at the flea market. They use the same material that is used on the window sun shades. It sure gives some privacy, cuts down on the heat and gives you and extra patio room to enjoy.

Thanks, yes ... you can use various weave density materials for the screen. I chose 18 X 14 but my house windows have 20 X 20 no-see-um screens. Sunblock screening is even denser with a flat weave. Mostly, it's a tradeoff between the amount of light vs. loss of ventilation ... tough choice. Having lived in Florida for over 20 years, and owning homes with pools, I've actually used different densities in different panels of the pool enclosure to meet different needs (privacy/ventilation/sun protection). If you make your own, the actual screening costs between $40 and $80 depending on the product. Stakes and bungees add about $30.

The price for yours was quite reasonable considering the labor.

I chose to hang mine from party light holders to facilitate quick disconnect in bad weather.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Steve N Sal's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Thanks, yes ... you can use various weave density materials for the screen. I chose 18 X 14 but my house windows have 20 X 20 no-see-um screens. Sunblock screening is even denser with a flat weave. Mostly, it's a tradeoff between the amount of light vs. loss of ventilation ... tough choice. Having lived in Florida for over 20 years, and owning homes with pools, I've actually used different densities in different panels of the pool enclosure to meet different needs (privacy/ventilation/sun protection). If you make your own, the actual screening costs between $40 and $80 depending on the product. Stakes and bungees add about $30.

The price for yours was quite reasonable considering the labor.

I chose to hang mine from party light holders to facilitate quick disconnect in bad weather.
Yes, mine has a rubber insert in the top that travels thru the awning tube channel. It's not hard to install but the material is quite heavy. I'd say the screen weighs about 30 - 35 pounds when folded up. The couple that do the work are here for the winter months. They come from Canada and work in the various parks around the area. There rates are very affordable and they do a lot of roll out awning replacements over the slideouts along with these shades, window covers, and tire covers. . They keep plenty busy and make a few extra $$$ which suppliments there stay here and there's nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing your article.
__________________
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Michigan (Winter For Now)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Yes, mine has a rubber insert in the top that travels thru the awning tube channel. It's not hard to install but the material is quite heavy. I'd say the screen weighs about 30 - 35 pounds when folded up. The couple that do the work are here for the winter months. They come from Canada and work in the various parks around the area. There rates are very affordable and they do a lot of roll out awning replacements over the slideouts along with these shades, window covers, and tire covers. . They keep plenty busy and make a few extra $$$ which suppliments there stay here and there's nothing wrong with that. Thanks for sharing your article.
Good for them !! There's no shortage of worn out awnings ...

Thanks for your comments!
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Bart anderso's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Myers Florida
Posts: 190
I did the same thing a few years ago. I ordered white 80 per cent shade from Pak Unlimited in Georgia and they shipped it to me in the exact length that I specified with grommets on one foot centers on both long sides. I hold it in the track with S hooks and stake it in the ground with ground anchors. It also holds the canopy down in strong winds.

Bart Anderson
__________________
Bart Anderson
Bart anderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart anderso View Post
I did the same thing a few years ago. I ordered white 80 per cent shade from Pak Unlimited in Georgia and they shipped it to me in the exact length that I specified with grommets on one foot centers on both long sides. I hold it in the track with S hooks and stake it in the ground with ground anchors. It also holds the canopy down in strong winds.

Bart Anderson

Sounds nice ... got any pics??
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Old Radios's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Upstate (the other) New York
Posts: 581
Or there's this for under $20: RV Awning Shade Net 10' X 16'
__________________
2006 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q
Toads: '15 Ford Focus, '10 Harley Softail Custom and '15 Harley Softail Deluxe
Upstate (the other) New York
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: St. Lucie West, FL
Posts: 5,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
Or there's this for under $20: RV Awning Shade Net 10' X 16'

Yes ... but the gauge and mesh are unspecified ... and it's actually $29 shipped. Still not bad though and probably worth a shot.

This is a more realistic comparison at $102 shipped:
19 x 7 Black RV Awning Shade Drop Shade Area Under Awning 7' Drop | eBay
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slide Topper Awning Support MSHappyCampers iRV2.com General Discussion 22 08-13-2017 03:41 PM
Awning Replacement Flatrekker iRV2.com General Discussion 3 03-03-2014 06:55 PM
Girard Awning - learned something interesting yesterday OWV Entegra Owner's Forum 2 02-28-2014 03:48 PM
Awning Ratchet locking lever Old Sarge iRV2.com General Discussion 1 02-17-2014 04:44 PM
Dometic A&E door awning adonh Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 07-16-2013 08:23 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.