Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

DIY Carpet Job?

We were doing some cleaning and maintenance, and when my wife removed the floor vents to vacuum......WOW! I forgot our carpet use to look that nice and be that color. So, after this season we were thinking about putting in new carpet. So remove:

Captains Chairs
The other chair (Don't know what to call it)
The sofa which is on the slide floor
The Dinette Benches

And all of the carpet is exposed. You can grab it anywhere and it lifts up, so I'm guessing it was kicked in onto tack strips all around the perimeter, Not sure how it butts up against the tile. Just wonder if this is something we want to do (Especially that motor cover!!), or just pay a guy to come out and do the job after we remove everything. Have no idea what it would cost. We would want new plush padding and higher end carpet, but the amount of carpet needed isn't that much. Can anyone share their experience regarding carpet jobs?
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I had to redo my carpet and lanolin because the owner before me screwed it up. When he removed the carpet under the slide he just took a razor and cut it. Well after I bought it I had the slide out and was getting read to lube the rails and sticking
out was the old carpet. On my RV I have the baggage doors move with the slide. And the carpet was stapled to the floor with a lot of staples. I have now got about 80% of it out and that has been 3 years now. My slide sets high when extended out so if yours is the same there is a better way to remove the carpet.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

I looked at that. Thought it would be really interesting getting that carpet out, and getting new carpet in under the slide. And my slide drops down when out, rides up a little higher when I bring it in. Many things to ponder here.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
We were doing some cleaning and maintenance, and when my wife removed the floor vents to vacuum......WOW! I forgot our carpet use to look that nice and be that color. So, after this season we were thinking about putting in new carpet. So remove:

Captains Chairs
The other chair (Don't know what to call it)
The sofa which is on the slide floor
The Dinette Benches

And all of the carpet is exposed. You can grab it anywhere and it lifts up, so I'm guessing it was kicked in onto tack strips all around the perimeter, Not sure how it butts up against the tile. Just wonder if this is something we want to do (Especially that motor cover!!), or just pay a guy to come out and do the job after we remove everything. Have no idea what it would cost. We would want new plush padding and higher end carpet, but the amount of carpet needed isn't that much. Can anyone share their experience regarding carpet jobs?
Hey Brian,
Just wondering, have you by any chance taken a look at the newest carpet alternative? It's a product called "Luxury Woven Vinyl". It's now being installed in newer coaches, higher end pontoon and tri-toon boats, as well as family pleasure boats. I won't bother going into any details unless you'd like to know. I just removed all the carpet in our boat and, sewed up and installed this new product. We really love it. Just something to think about.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

I've never heard of it, but I will check it out. We're both fans of carpet cause it feels good to the old treads. It also holds the stickers the dog brings in real well, and we love painful surprises!!!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #6

I just looked at it Scott. Prolly great for a boat, but we're gonna stick with carpet. Thanx for the idea tho.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I did mine, with help from a buddy who also has good handyman skills and some flooring experience. I would not suggest an RV as your first-time learning experience for laying carpet, though. Even though the area is small, it tends to have all the challenges that one is likely to encounter in a carpet job. Stairwell, odd-shaped borders, doghouse on front engine models, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #8

Gary, that's kind of what we were thinking. I'll check some locals and see what they would charge. Sometimes it just pays to play!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had my last coach done by a local carpet store. They did a wonderful job, much better than factory and even bound the edge of the slide flap just like the factory. The best thing was having real carpet instead of the junk they put in these things. We didnt have to contend with a doghouse as it was a super C which had a factory rubber flooring. The carpet store however did make us a custom fit snap in mat that covered the entire cockpit and was bound around the entire edge. A masterful piece of work I might add! Even though our carpet is like new in our bounder, I'm thinking about having it done just because it looked so much richer and felt so much better under foot. We had it done in a frizze, which was the height of style at that time. Not sure if it is still in style, would have to ask the wife LOL! I just hope they can make the doghouse look like a factory job.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Consider a nice "luxury" vinyl plank or maybe even laminate as an alternative. You need to be more cautious about the floor height, though, or the sides can scratch it. I stayed with carpet in the lounge for that reason - my flush-floor slide has large rollers that ride onto the flooring when retracted. I installed a mid-range Pergo wood laminate in the bedroom where the slide does not touch the floor at all.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet