Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

DIY Dash Cover

I have just begun to carpet my dash in my 2014 Itasca Sunstar. I am interested in how any other DIYers have dealt with rounded part of the dash over the intruments. It looks like commercial covers are ither steam blocked (which I don't know how to do) or seamed by an industrial sewing machine (which i don't have). Any ideas, and in particular, pictures, would be helpful

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never had a dash cover until I bought a 64 Caddie convert last season and the OP had bought it. Boy they sure are nice first time driving I noticed no glare. I haven't even looked for one for the 82 Pace Arrow but I would buy one if I came across one. Right know I just use long bath towels when at a CG or @ the S&B. Do you know where I could buy one for the MH?

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #3

I f you find a place to buy one please let me know I have a 40 mountain aire 43
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #4

there seem to be several places to buy them. just try Google. I am
interested in making one myself.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigarazz View Post
I have just begun to carpet my dash in my 2014 Itasca Sunstar. I am interested in how any other DIYers have dealt with rounded part of the dash over the intruments. It looks like commercial covers are ither steam blocked (which I don't know how to do) or seamed by an industrial sewing machine (which i don't have). Any ideas, and in particular, pictures, would be helpful
taigarazz,

I have an industrial sewing machine that I goof around with every once in a while making stuff. I've not tried a dash mat yet but, that could be right around the corner, who knows. I did look one place up though. This looks to be a nice place to get one. I might give them a call and see what they come up with.
Scott
Dashboard Covers by Josie - Specializing in Dashboard Covers for Motorhomes!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Some where I heard of this place but when I went there nothing happened, after the hundredth time looking for a place to buy one, I came across your forum and retried the site and it works. I am going to get the info they request and see if they can do it and what the cost is for my 82 PA.
Has anyone done this?
Old 12-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a 1992 Hawkins Motor Coach, 30 foot class A that came with a stock dash carpet. No glare when driving and when I lifted it, the dash looked like new. It is a very good thing to have if you have a dog that likes to sit or lay up there like we did. Too bad they don't make those rigs anymore, they had every convenience including ice maker, blender in counter, built in vac,, and safe in the floor. If it had slides, I would still own it.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought one for our 2013 Tiffin 35QBA from Covers From Jossie and are very satisfied with it. We mainly bought it because our little dog gets on the dash and we didn't want the dash scratched. Other benefits are less glare and things don't slide around.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
We had one on our Newmar that we also got from covers by Josie and it fit and looked great. You have to cut the opening for any vents or vent holes but that was pretty easy to do. I have heard of some that had bad service or experiences from Josie, but as stated ours was great. Not sure if we will put one on our new Eagle or not.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #10

I was hoping to hear from more folks that tried the diy route...
Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #11

We purchased a dash cover from JOSSIE and have been entirely satisfied with the material and fit. IMHO the extra cost over purchasing material and doing the cutting and sewing yourself is well worth it. The expertise to fit to a contoured dash warrants paying the price from JOSSIE.
JimB
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I too am in the same boat, oops motorhome,I don't have the sewing machine to do the edges. I have see prices and they all seem way under $50.00 bucks so I will wait and see if they can make mine for the 82.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I chose to not cover the high points over the instrument cluster and rear view camera monitor areas and it works for me. I picked up roll of lightweight indoor/outdoor carpet at Costco for under $30 I believe, now this was 5 years ago, and created a pattern using heavy Kraft paper and transferred it to the carpet. I didn't glue it down. It may not be as professional looking as some that I've seen but it's been serving the purpose of protecting the dash from our 4 legged travel companions just fine. Here's a link to another DIY dash mat project that you can maybe glean some pointers from. http:///www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mad...er-133385.html
Here's couple of pics of my less than professional but economical dash mat.
Al

Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I have never had a dash cover until I bought a 64 Caddie convert last season and the OP had bought it. Boy they sure are nice first time driving I noticed no glare. I haven't even looked for one for the 82 Pace Arrow but I would buy one if I came across one. Right know I just use long bath towels when at a CG or @ the S&B. Do you know where I could buy one for the MH?
I have not used these folks, but I have heard that they do a good job on the dash covers.
Dashboard Covers by Josie - Specializing in Dashboard Covers for Motorhomes!

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash