Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

DIY info/tips

I have an old '94 Class A Dutchmen gas guzzler. Since getting the diesel pusher, it sat neglected. Now the generator won't start, it developed a leak, both ACs are bummed, ... you get the picture- it needs love.
But, "Old Blue" now has a new need and purpose in life as a SCUBA Swedge Mobile! Wife would kill us if me and the guys trashed the new RV with stinky dive gear.

I really believe that with proper how to guidelines I could fix most needs without big expense of a shop. Repairs don't have to be beautiful; just adequate and workable.
Please save us from riding hot to and from dive locations because the generator won't work. And, even if it did, the roof ACs don't work either.
Thank you kindly.
Jerry
Bookmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

So, are you asking how to fix your generator?
First: Use Search. Guaranteed it's problem has already been discussed and fixed in a thread.

Basics: It's a gas motor. So, it just needs to be repaired as such.
Does it crank?
If so, does it want to fire?
What does it sound like?
Have you tried to start it with a SMALL burst of starting fluid to the carburator air intake? If it starts then dies, this is indicative it's Fuel related issue (not ignition, not compression etc).

The great odds without knowing anything other than age sitting is that the filter needs to be replaced and the carburetor is plugged up. It likely needs to be removed, taken apart (it's simple) and cleaned. I would apply a gas rated suction pump on the tank side of the filter connection to pull some fuel from tank through the lines and inspect in a glass jar if there is any dirt obvious.

In general - before I start on a project, I inspect Look for telltale marks. For example, look for dirt build up near A/C hoses. That could be where it's leaking as the oil that leaves with the freon attracts dirt. Then I clean (Gunk / power wash etc). I hate working on dirty stuff. Not inspiring.

Post each issue in it's own thread. Provide make / model and as many symptoms as you can identify. GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) applies to forum fixes.

Have fun with your restoration project!

Tags
diy