Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I just got a storage tub from Walmart..don't remember the size, but its abt 8" high n holds all the oil from my ISL. works for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ive changed mine and lubed it for the last time. I'm at that point in life that it's really hard to get down there any more, even harder to get back up. If I could, I would still do it. Heading to Gaffney in a couple of months to have it done.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #17

American Coach Owners Club
You did a lot of work today !
I also do my own service on My engine.
I use the Fumoto Valve on my 8.3 and drain the oil in a 5 gal bucket and then pour it in a 55 gal dedicated drum. I have a local company come in and drain the drum at no charge.
If this was your first service I get it it feels good learning and satisfying knowing its done right.
I only use Speedco for my Diff Oil changes and semi annual full Chassis lube.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:21 PM   #18

Going to do mine in the spring for the first time. Then again I just got the MH in late November and is parked till spring. I am also thinking of installing the Fumoto valve on my 400 ISL but afraid of something hitting it on the road and then disaster. I saw on the pan there is 2 drain plugs. Would it be wise to install the Fumoto valve on the top one(it's about 3 inches from bottom one) and once the oil doesn't come out of the valve, finish with the bottom plug. ???
Like that I would have control of the oil coming out and not afraid of the valve being ripped off.
Does this make sense ????
Old 02-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #19

No sense at all !
I've had the Fumoto Valve on the Bottom the last 14 years-- make's the job a lot easier.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #20
KIX

I use the Fumoto valve too. As others have said it makes oil changes a whole lot more pleasant.
If you want to install a Fumoto valve there's no need to wait until the next oil change. Use a shop vacuum sealed with a rag to the oil cap (where you fill oil). As long as the vacuum is running you won't lose a drop of oil while you remove the plug and install the Fumoto.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
I use the Fumoto valve too. As others have said it makes oil changes a whole lot more pleasant.
If you want to install a Fumoto valve there's no need to wait until the next oil change. Use a shop vacuum sealed with a rag to the oil cap (where you fill oil). As long as the vacuum is running you won't lose a drop of oil while you remove the plug and install the Fumoto.
That's a Great Idea !
Old 02-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i do all of my oil and filter work plus the other filters and genny
my friend runs a ford dealer in town and he lets me dump waste oil in his collection container

never an issue
plus
i found out many states including texas and alabama have a law about waste oil
if you buy oil from a store (wally, autozone etc,) they have to take back the equal amount in waste oil as part of the reclamation statues
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #23

I use a large galvanized pan that catches all the oil plus is wide enough to catch oil filter at same time .
Old 02-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I cut off a 55 gallon plastic drum, maybe 16" tall, and cut handle slots in it to handle it.......
I put some big blocking under the rear jacks, raise it enough to make a good work height........with the big blocking up under the jacks, it they fail, it can only drop to where the jack is retracted, and not come down any further. Then it is into a big used oil drum in the back of the shop, when full, a buddy takes the drum, empties it and returns the empty drum.........uses it in a oil fired heater in his shop works for both of us!
I cut off a plastic drum to 12" high, a 55G drum holds 1.1 G per inch. A local, large automotive shop in the city heats with used oil, and is actually advertising for used oil drop-offs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #25

KIK
That's crazy talk! Great idea.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #26

I change my own because I've got DIY DNA to the bone. My CAT C7 only takes 5 Gal. I buy my Rotella in 5 gal buckets, empty it in last yrs. bucket & drop it off at the auto parts store for recycling.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I cut off a plastic drum to 12" high, a 55G drum holds 1.1 G per inch. A local, large automotive shop in the city heats with used oil, and is actually advertising for used oil drop-offs.
How do you transport the oil after you have it in the cutoff drum?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my Monaco with the ISL, it had two drain plugs, one high and one low. It was tall enough for me to fit a 5 gallon gas can under it and drain directly into it, first from the high drain and then the low drain.

On my Newmar, I decided to add the Fumoto valve. The newest models have a protective cap that locks the valve. I buy Rotella oil from Walmart for my DP in the 2.5 gallon jugs. From oil change to oil change, I save the empty jugs. With the Fumoto valve, I can just turn it on and fill each jug with the old oil, cap it and take it to the local auto parts store for recycling.

I'll continue to do my own servicing as long as I physically can. It saves money, but it also gives me piece of mind. When lubing the chassis, I check everything under the coach. During my first oil change on my new Freightliner chassis, I found that two of the five bolts holding the steering box on were about an inch unscrewed, two were loose and one was just barely snug. That could have been a catastrophe if it hadn't been found. I don't think someone changing the oil at a shop would have even noticed.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote