Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Rate your DIY skills
Don't DIY - no background, or no interest, or no time. I Pay others. 2 0.91%
D - Minor fixes, washing, waxing, top sealing, tire pressure, paint touchup 23 10.50%
C - Oil changes, belts, shocks, filters, battery replace, bulbs, minor engine repair 124 56.62%
B - Full engine / trans repair, body work, paint, 12 volt repair, All component replacements 56 25.57%
A - Diagnostics of all systems including CAN / RV-C, Frame collision repair, Overall paint. 11 5.02%
Not interested in survey participation 3 1.37%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

DIY skills - rate yourself!

Many threads speak of Do It Yourself (DIY). Some repairs and maintenance are certainly more complex than others. Many like to tackle those jobs on our RVs ourselves. Some out of necessity (stuck on the roadside or can't afford someone to fix it for you) and some do it out of love (love to tinker or love your RV so much that you can't consider someone else coddling it).

So, how do you rate your skills? The survey is categorized similar to how automotive rates technicians.

How do you rate your interest in DIY? Unfortunately because of the survey format, you might think you have the skills but don't do DIY...but we can't choose both...so if that's your case, just say you don't DIY.

Feel free to discuss how you learned your prowess and your love (or hate) of DIY. Your best and your worst DIY project (RV related)?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, I'm a DIY'er. I'd say this is sparked by curiosity and finance. Its almost a hobby.

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #3

I've always been a DIY'er for two reasons. 1. I'm cheap and will do almost anything to save a dollar. Being cheap can be a hobby! 2. I've paid for enough work that turned out to be poorly done.

I'd rate myself as moderate, but willing. YouTube has been an amazing tool. In the last 20 years, I haven't taken any vehicle to a mechanic.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

Just started taking vehicles to a shop after almost 60 years as a licensed Aircraft Mechanic due to age and inability to crawl under them anymore (and haven't been too pleased with the quality of the work I have seen). I've done ALL of my own work for those decades out of ability and necessity. Saved more money than I can count and saved the aggravation of poor work that I've seen on others vehicles.

Have done everything on airplanes (jets and props), boats, RVs, cars, trucks, licensed US Coast Guard Ships Master with Tow certification, licensed multiengine Airline Transport Pilot for 50 years ) B727, B737, B757, B767, Airbus 319, Learjet, Citation jet, Mu-2). Machinist on lathes and mills, House rehabber for several decades doing most of the work myself (carpentry, roofing, hivac, electrical, plumbing, paint, cement, brick, tile, design and regulatory compliance). Part 139 Airport Manager, TSA certified. Licensed with full professional training for concealed carry of firearms in many states.

Red Cross certifications in First Aid and CPR but my proudest achievements have been the 3 lives I've been able to save being the first responder and knowing what to do. 1 massive burn victim, 1 heart attack and one drug overdose. All of them made it to the hospital alive!!!!!! Though I'm not an EMT (those folks are WAY above me in dedication and ability) its been nice to know what to do and how to do it when the need was there.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 AM   #5

At point in my life that I do NOT have to DIY when it comes to 'vehicle mechanical issues'.......my best tool for those chores is my Credit Card

AS for the RV components.......fridge, water heater, furnace, 12V DC/120V AC Circuits etc
I'm ALL in and quite good at DIY
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM   #6

Cliffy - Thank you for your many years of service. I have been a first responder for many years as well as 35 year in the fire service as a volunteer. Nothing more satisfying than the patient making it to the hospital. I think it is definitely time for you to kick back and relax. Enjoy the sites, the people, and what ever liquid beverage sounds the best at the time.
bixler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #7

I'm a DIYS all the way, I don't trust other's work. A couple of years ago, I discovered a buckle in the camper frame where the axle had bottomed out on the frame during a hard pot hole hit. I bought a wire welder and 6' of heavy angle iron and added a frame stiffener above the axle. All this was done in a Texas State CG. The welder has turned out to be a handy tool ever since. Same with a motorcycle flat tire last week, removed tire and glued in a patch at the cg.
I look at it that being retired, I now have all day to repair something if needed.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

If I can fix it I will and I have fixed most everything on this rig so far. If I can't figure out something, like my exhaust brake, I take it to someone else to figure it out - and then it was me that had to figure it out still.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would put it more at a B-, as I get older I'm finding more things that I just don't want to tackle
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Your poll is kind of arbitrary in that you combine major chassis work with simple 12v fixes. I can fix most anything in the house including 12v and 120v electrical, RVC systems, heating and cooling, etc but I defer to others when it comes to engine, chassis, body work, etc.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #11

your options don’t precisely match me so i
marked ‘No DIY’. i do some DIY but we’ve reached a point in our lives where we can finally afford not to have to.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I do almost all my own repairs and fixes because most repair shops do a crappy job. More often than not, I know more about the coach than the millennial they have working on it.
I find it very relaxing to do my own maintenance, repairs and all upgrades.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:28 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had to MacGyver a couple of things to get home (broken Jesus bolt on slide transmission, wind damaged awning and such). A lot of it is self confidences and willingness to step outside your comfort zone and take on repair.

I've done a lot of changes to the coach over the years. Hydraulic jacks installed, residential fridge and inverter install, removed heat damaged decals and painted, airbags with on board compressor and on the move pressure adjustable, replaced kitchen countertop, removed propane stove and replaced cabinet to add more dry food storage, new flooring and the list goes on.

Had a lot of fun and learned a lot in the process. I wouldn't want to have to pull the engine but I'd be willing to take it on if necessary. Transmission is an easy remove and replace. Just a bit heavier then what the daily driver Honda Accord.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #14

Well,
I really don't know how to classify myself and or, match myself up with other "DIY" types on here. I've dug into cars, engines, diffs, frames, welding, body work, painting and a whole lot more for well over 50 years. And, I've been welding since I was oh, maybe 14 or younger. Been a woodworker and cabinet maker for decades as well. I've also delved into plastics welding too. That is fun stuff. Plumbing, electrical work, both 120VAC and 12VDC, are all under my belt too.

Most of all that is listed here was fun in my younger years. Especially since most of the auto work in the late 50' and all '60s cars and trucks was pretty simple, LOGICAL stuff. But, once any form of computers, modules and all that entered the scenes, it became more and more complicated for this old brain to comprehend. So, I leave all that to my son who was a tech for 10 years before entering the Beauro of Automotive Repair for the state of CA. He can handle all that complicated stuff. I work with the simple stuff.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy