Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 AM   #15

Coming back into the US they checked the fridge and found a pepper steak we had purchased in Canada.When I promised we would eat it that night and would not share it she allowed us to keep it.Not sure if the tears and sobbing helped or not.
BOB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Someone who has had that nuclear stress test can set the radioactive device off two booths over.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

A very close friend of mine is in the US Border Patrol (won't tell you where). He said that they look for indicators. If you look straight ahead and will not look at the guard or you are sweating or things like that. They also get bored and if somebody acts smart to them they will teach him a lesson and have him pull over and search everything.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have gone back and forth over the border many times over the years. They can search your rig if they want. They don't usually. Also I think if you cross regularly, your information is on file so when you approach and they take a pic of your license plat, all that previous info appears. My husband flies out of the Montreal airport for business quite often and our daughter lived in Toronto for 5 years. We very rarely have had any problems but there is always a first time.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

You are 100% correct. All your data is in their computer. The newer passports also have a chip in it that they can scan to track your previous border crossings.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my experience. There is only one thing to remember when crossing Canadian or United States border. HONESTY. The guards on either side are trained WAY beyond the normal citizen to look for dishonest people. If you have something that is not allowed and you are honest about it, they will have a solution for you. Weather it be guns, bear spray or whatever coming into Canada or citrus fruit or whatever going into the USA, if you are honest they will assist you. That is JMHO.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When we went to Alaska a couple of years ago, we were stopped before the border going into Canada and searched by the US border guards. I have know idea why. We stood and chit chatted with the guards as one searched the inside. We thought they were from Canada until it was all over.

We had our dogs papers laid out on the table and I don't think they even looked at those. It only took them about 15 minutes and we were back on our way.

I thought it might have been because we were in our old 1986 Winni. We didn't look too scruffy. Our hair was combed and the Yorkies were groomed.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Depends on where you cross. One time no Canadian beef allowed in states including dog food, no potatoes into some parts of CA, no potatoes from CA allowed into Maine. It is our responsibility to know the rules. Last time we came into states, I made fruit salad out of all fruits and threw pits and peelings away in Canada. When the US border asked about fruit, I told him what I had done. He laughed and said you know the drill. lol Look at the devastation caused by the pine bark beetle yet I see people bragging on the forums about hiding firewood in bays to circumvent the no outside firewood in many parts of the country. Good luck in your travels and remember no undeclared guns into Canada.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Remember 9 of the 11 Sept. 11th hijackers entered the U.S. from Canada. Too bad they weren't carrying banned agriculture products. Would have saved a ton of money from having to build a fence along Mexico.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
One other thing we have found is that they are now using ''facial recognition'' software in the port of entry. When you pull up to the port there are about four cameras on you. They have already taken your picture and ran you thru the recognition program. They have about six pix on their screen that match your profile even before you get to the port. They take your passport and ''zip it'' and it confirms who you are, where you are from, how many times you have crossed and where you crossed. The big exception is some of the places in Alaska/Canada ports like on the Top of the World highway. They know if you are ex military and what branch, when you were in and which gun you declared the last time you crossed the stripe. They will deliberately ask you questions to see if your answers match the last time you crossed. The last time we crossed they asked me if I had ever been in the military. They asked me what branch and for how long. They know your SS number and your drivers license number and they have a nice big photo of you to compare to your Pass Port photo. The last time we crossed they asked if we had any meat from Canada and we said yes. They said that there was some Mad Cow disease and we should throw it away. They did not confiscate it but advised against eating it. We ate it anyway and from then on I have had a secret desire to eat grass and give milk????
Remember this ...... GO WITH A SMILE AND ALL THE HONESTY YOU CAN MUSTER. HAVE YOUR ''STUFF'' READY AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE ''DONT COP AN ADDITUDE WITH THESE GUYS''. No matter what ...... BE NICE.....At one crossing I saw a guy lead away in handcuffs....not good.................
Seajay the sailor man...
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS AND BRING THEM HOME SAFE AND SOON
GOD BLESS OUR VETS FOR THEIR SERVICE TO THIS GREAT NATION ....
ps One of the toughest port of entries is coming into Calif from Washington state. Dont even think about bring fruit, most veggies and Bing cherries thru the port. They have a large dumpster and they will make you throw your ''stuff'' in it ......
Old 03-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #25

MaverickBBD are you being funny? None of the 9/11 Highhjacks entered the USA via Canada, they all entered the USA via other countries. I am a little tired of this constant mis representation of the facts.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #26
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis

Folks, let's get off the hijackers and back on topic.

Thanks.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the words of another patriot "Canns wees all jess gets along" Rodney King
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I find it to be a pain in the butt but but but we keep the fridge empty of most foods until we cross the border. These silly rules are just that, silly. I doubt that eating my apple from my lunch that I bought in Florida is going to hurt anyone north of the border. They pay people to sit down and think up these stupid laws so of course they do that, they sit down and find ways to justify there jobs.