Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

do good shop manuals exist?

I’m a bit anal on maintenance and usually try to do most myself. Now that we’re into what I’m guessing qualifies as a heavyweight I need to get up to speed on a few things. The MH came with what looks like a garment bag stuffed full of various books on all the systems however I’d like to find a good “shop manual” that covers most of the mechanicals. I have a several hundred page book called Operation and Maintenance on the Cat 330 and an owner’s manual on the Allison transmission but they lack detail on the procedures to perform the maintenance. For instance things like “Air Dryer” reads “Follow maintenance recommendations provided by the OEM”….why bother printing a stupid statement like that in what’s called “maintenance manual”. I have worked on heavy equipment before so not afraid to get into it.
Is there a good service manual available that covers the complete Freightliner chassis including engine and transmission and all the systems (like air dryer) or does a person need to piecemeal together the information direct from Cat…then Allison etc.

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 38T Pusher
Cdn-Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publica... This might help out on your tranny
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
The link didn’t work but figured out the general address and took a look. Site isn’t overly clear which manual a person would need for general maintenance. Gave them a call but person on the phone wasn’t of much use. But it’s a start so eventually will figure it out.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #4

No problem on the Cat

For the Cat engine there are a few manuals all available from your local Cat dealer.

On our 3208 we have a maintenance manual, operations manual, engine manual and maybe a couple others tossed in.

One shows how to rebuild the engine, another instructs how to take care of it.

Best if you can get the serial number from the engine before making the trip, visit your local Cat authorized dealer, if you take your coach they may offer a deal for inspection and checkup which may be a great investment, they also can look up the serial number to see if any updates are due as well as sell you any supplies or tools that you will need to do your work.

For the chassis you will need to do the same thing, start with your VIN and work with the manufacturer on-line to get what you can, ask the manufacturer for their prefered agent in your area then visit them as well to purcase tools and supplies.

You will be able to get the tools and supplies for less money in other places, but the extra money spent here is well worth the investment as you will have the folks who do this for a liiving giving you a few pointers on how items are preformed "in the real world".

Good luck and have fun.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #5

So I phoned Freightliner who said they will identify me as the new owner. That takes a few days to go through which then allows me to go on line and register as the new owner. Then, about a week later, they email me a sign on password. Back to the website which gives me free access to the service manuals, parts breakdown and complete build specification of the chassis. So, that’s a good start at least. I assume most have done that. Interested to hear how well it works.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your motor home is basically two, two, two things in one.

A house, and a truck.. Shop manuals for the TRUCK part do indeed exist.. Though I can not tell you where to find them

Shop manuals for MOST of the parts of the house also exist,, IE there is a Sam's Photofact file for the television,, Likely one for the Microwave too.

Shop manual for the whole house.. NO, each one is different so no single manual can cover them all.

Not like cars where they make hundreds of cars identical save for the color and other very minor things.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Your motor home is basically two, two, two things in one.

A house, and a truck.. Shop manuals for the TRUCK part do indeed exist.. Though I can not tell you where to find them

Shop manuals for MOST of the parts of the house also exist,, IE there is a Sam's Photofact file for the television,, Likely one for the Microwave too.

Shop manual for the whole house.. NO, each one is different so no single manual can cover them all.

Not like cars where they make hundreds of cars identical save for the color and other very minor things.
Thanks…I knew I wouldn’t find a manual that covered the actual house part. I was primarily looking for good information on all the running gear. I need a manual for the Cat engine….that money will buy from any Cat dealer and the Transmission which I can download (at a cost) from Allison now that I know it has the 3000 series transmission not the 4000. As for the actual Freightliner chassis that I apparently can download for free from the Freightliner site once they send me a password. So, I think I’m well underway. I do have about 50 lbs of paper which includes everything from the coffee maker to the generator so I’m good to go there as well. However….after about 45 min pushing buttons and switching switches never did figure out the TV VCR DVD satellite surround sound. Get everything working but sound and no picture or picture and no sound. I think I need a 12 year old to figure it all out.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Allision Service Manual, 3000 Product Family, part number SM2148EN. I believe the cost was around $48.00 US. This manusl will give you everything you want to know and then some. I called my local Allison repair shop and had them order it for me. Took about 3 days for it to arrive.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #9

Gordon - We had those same concerns 5 years ago, buy the air dryer and surprise !!! Great instructions were in our box. Even had pictures for that 12 year old Hang tough, info will come slowly but persistence will pay off.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote