Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Any engine mods are there to increase power.
If you use the power, you WILL spend more on fuel.

If you don't, u might see a mileage increase.

Course if u leave it the way it is, and drive it at 60 or less, u will probably see the same mileage increase.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #16

Agreed. I replaced the tired old 302 in my Bronco with a stoutly built 351W. My mileage went from 10-11 mpg to 15-16 mpg. A lot of people don't believe me or understand how. My only explanation is that the engine doesn't have to work nearly as hard to move the vehicle so it doesn't need as much gas. I can see the same concept with a MH; performance improvements increasing mpg(assuming you drive it the same after the improvements). Since MHs weigh so much and the mileage is so low to start with I imagine it would take a huge increase in power to see much of a difference. If you start with 5 mpg it would be a 20% improvement just to get to 6 mpg and it would take a serious performance increase to raise your mileage 20%.
I haven't been on a trip in our new-to-us class C yet but I'm not expecting great mileage(I'm realistic). After a few trips I'll try a few SBF tuneup tricks(K&N air filter, cap, wires, plugs, open gap up a little, advance timing a little, hotter coil and some other little stuff) just to see it it makes much of a difference on this big block, big butt MH.
If I see any improvements I will post them up.

If it won't budge, hit it harder or get a bigger hammer.
RLKBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
headers will allow the engine to exhaust and shed heat alot quicker.
Cold air intake will allow air to enter the engine easier.
The simple fact of straightening an intake tract or exhaust tract increases the engine operating efficiency.
That being said... Banks charges ALOT of $$ for inferior quality pieces. A quality header is made of stainless with thick mounting flanges.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLKBOB View Post
I haven't been on a trip in our new-to-us class C yet but I'm not expecting great mileage(I'm realistic). After a few trips I'll try a few SBF tuneup tricks(K&N air filter, cap, wires, plugs, open gap up a little, advance timing a little, hotter coil and some other little stuff) just to see it it makes much of a difference on this big block, big butt MH.
If I see any improvements I will post them up.
i would advise using an S&B oiled gauze air filter element. it is thicker than the K&N for better filtration and is also a low restriction filter.
there is a lot of info on K&N filters in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Again, modifying an engine to produce more power and then not using it seems silly...

When I had. My ole pace arrow, i'd leave the light with my foot on the floor, and keep it there to criusing speed, and got 8 mpg.

I put an ultrapower tumer on it. Now I left the light at half throttle, accelerated to cruising speed, and got 8 mpg.

I bought the knight. I leave the light and flooorboard the throttle and hold it there until I reach cruising speed... and I get 8 mpg.

It really doesn't matter.
It takes a given amount of power to accelerate a mass to a given speed. With aerodynamics of a shoebox, ditto for keeping it there.

Some r happy accelerating and driving very slowly, a.nd they will be rewarded with 10 mpg.

Me, I'll get 8. It really doesn't matter what I drive.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #20

No increase in mileage....... Banks system.......I mean NO increase.....Power ?....Maybe
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A header can be tuned for more torque or for more HP...designers choice. For an RV you do want more torque.

donandmax, we put the Banks system on a 1999 Minnie Winnie class C and while it did not have a kick in the pants power increase, it did improve the mid range power. It was easier to pull hills and there was a slight gain i fuel economy...mostly due ot driving it a bit easier on the road.

Ken
Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #22

Not much is going to help your fuel mileage. Simple matter of X amount of weight + large frontal area takes horsepower which takes fuel. So if you where getting 8 mpg and you managed to improve it 10% that ain't much.
Now if you need major exhaust work (manifolds, studs) headers couldn't hurt.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #23

On the 460, IF the headers warp, switching to Thorley or Banks doesn't cost a lot more than having the OEM manifolds re-machined and re-installed. At least the "Banana-bunch" types won't warp and crack.

We had a very difficult time with manifold problems on our '85 E-350 based Class C. Very expensive to fix.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We put Headman headers and a set of Flowmasters (I think the 44 series) on our 87 when the stock manifolds cracked. When all was said and done, it was actually cheaper than buying new OEM manifolds.

Having said that, We didn't see any incresae in mileage. In fact, it went down a little, but with noticeably more torque. And the sound is an added bonus in my opinion. Sound like a NASCAR going down the road.