Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Do I Need A generator

Our generator is not working and too much $$ for someone to look at.
But do I really need a generator??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Only if you plan on running air conditioning, microwave, or anything that needs 120V to run without being connected to shore power.

1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamike View Post

Only you can answer that but has it worked for you in the past and if so how much did you use it? If it hasn't worked in the past and you haven't needed it then I guess you don't need it now.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

What's the matter with it?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #5

It is a Generac Guardian RV Generator 7500 model 4270, it will not crank over, it has power to the control board, & install new board. Repair shop wants $100 per hr min 10 hrs.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Pamike
IMO, only you can answer that question.
As 1cinderdog said... you only "need" a generator if you need one.... (and maybe when you are trying to sell your coach).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #7

I would take it to a different repair shop. Sounds like you are saying they want a minimum of $1000 just to look at it and maybe fix it, unless you meant a minimum of 1 hour(which seems reasonable). If you are mechanically inclined I would check all the connections to the starter motor, fuses ect. before taking it in, it could be something simple. You can always buy a portable generator and carry it with you until you get it fixed.

As to whether or not you need it, like said before only you can decide that. If you normally stay in spots with electrical hookups, there is no need for the generator while camped.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It is a Generac Guardian RV Generator 7500 model 4270, it will not crank over, it has power to the control board, & install new board. Repair shop wants $100 per hr min 10 hrs.
Sounds like they are just parts changers. Need to find someone that can actually investigate and find the problem before making a repair. If their quoting minimum10 hrs they obviously don't know what there are doing.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
Old 01-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Sounds like your problem may be the connection from the starter to the battery. Maybe even a corroded Battery cable connection. Check it out. Does it try to turn over? Do you hear a clicking sound when you try to start it? If remote start on the dash, have you tried to start it from the generator itself?
Mel
Old 01-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
These people are crooks. Take it somewhere else.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #11

Google the model number and locate a copy of the manual to download.

Read the user operation section until you understand how it works.

Next read the troubleshooting section and see what you can determine.

Many folks here can help too.

You will need a voltmeter (10 bucks or less from harbor freight) and an assortment of basic tools.

Most of the time it is stupid stuff like loose bolt on a connection.

The troubleshooting guide will tell you what to check and folks here can help you figure out how to make a measurement or test if needed.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #12

I too recommend locating a different mechanic or repair shop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Looking at your old posts this problem has been going on since last July. Very sorry that you are having such a problem getting it fixed. I found the service manual for your generator on line. If you know how to use a VOM (volt, ohm meter) and follow a flow chart the manual has a very good troubleshooting section and instructions on testing components. Even has a small section on using a VOM. I can't post the manual here because it is 9 MB, not allowed to post over 3 MB. Here is the link to the manual I downloaded. www.powered.com/guardian/manuals/0D7427.pdf

If you have a problem downloading it, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the manual I downloaded. Since the shop your using already replaced the control board that shouldn't be the problem.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it cost too much to fix and you still want a generator, Get an Onan or a Honda. Hondas are super.

Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator