Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-23-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,673
Do I really need two chassis batteries?

Our rig has two 12 volt chassis batteries to start the engine and power the slides and elect awning. One of the batteries is toast so I have removed it from the coach and will be purchasing two new batteries next week. We are leaving the coach for a week but would like to bring the slides in.

Would there be any issue hooking up the one good chassis battery to power the slides?

I will be leaving the small battery cables that power the ecm and tranny disconnected.
__________________

__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Will the engine start with just one battery? If not, maybe use the house battery boost button if you have one. Start the engine and it should have plenty of juice to operate the slides.
Be sure to insulate the unused positive battery clamp so it doesn't short out on something.
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream 27FB
2017 F250 Lariat Crew Cab
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
pcurt23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Our rig has two 12 volt chassis batteries to start the engine and power the slides and elect awning. One of the batteries is toast so I have removed it from the coach and will be purchasing two new batteries next week. We are leaving the coach for a week but would like to bring the slides in.

Would there be any issue hooking up the one good chassis battery to power the slides?

I will be leaving the small battery cables that power the ecm and tranny disconnected.
So ... You want to put at risk a very expensive slide system to save money or time on batteries. My guess is that if the two batteries were not required for the big mill there would only be one and all the systems that support the batteries would be gone. Let us know how it works.
__________________
Pcurt
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38V
pcurt23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
DrDaveMA's Avatar


 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cotuit, MA
Posts: 2,254
Since these are chassis batteries I would disconnect the bad battery, leave everything else connected then start the engine. Get the engine turning about 1,000 rpm so you have a good output from you alternator, bring in the slides and awning.
__________________
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 9,906
There will be no problems if the remaining battery is good.

The 2 start batteries are designed to start the engine in below freezing weather.

The single good battery will be able to pull in a slide. If it seems weak, use the boost switch.
__________________
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
So ... You want to put at risk a very expensive slide system to save money or time on batteries. My guess is that if the two batteries were not required for the big mill there would only be one and all the systems that support the batteries would be gone. Let us know how it works.
Actually the reason I posted the question was because I do Not want to put anything at risk. I am leaving the coach for a few days and will return with new batteries. I had no intention of starting the engine with the one battery I was just trying to see if there was some reason not to operate the slides from one battery. On this coach the engine must be off in order to operate the slides. I was guessing that the reason for two batteries was for the extra cranking power to the engine.
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Will the engine start with just one battery? If not, maybe use the house battery boost button if you have one. Start the engine and it should have plenty of juice to operate the slides.
Be sure to insulate the unused positive battery clamp so it doesn't short out on something.
Not sure if the engine would start from one battery but I dont need to start it as the slides only operate with the engine off. I will secure unsued battery cables good idea.
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Since these are chassis batteries I would disconnect the bad battery, leave everything else connected then start the engine. Get the engine turning about 1,000 rpm so you have a good output from you alternator, bring in the slides and awning.
I probably should have mentioned that the engine must be off for slides to work.
Thanks
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Monacoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There will be no problems if the remaining battery is good.

The 2 start batteries are designed to start the engine in below freezing weather.

The single good battery will be able to pull in a slide. If it seems weak, use the boost switch.
This is the info I was looking for. I kinda thought 12 volts is 12 volts but needed a second opinion. .....you are it

Thanks
__________________
2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 340 Cummins
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
AFChap's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: ...hopefully on the road!
Posts: 4,719
Yep, 12v is 12v. In this case, additional batteries provide more amps / aka ooomph. One battery with a decent charge should do the job at least once, though it may be a bit slower.
__________________
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,342
I never realized that the slides and awning were powered from the chassis batteries! Is this true on all coaches?
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12
No it is not the same on all coaches.
__________________
2000 American Eagle 40', 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd Outlander.
"Our life is most people's vacation!"
Kbrede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Big Oil Guy's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 278
Mine only has one chassis battery, and it's located under the entry steps, a long way from the engine (DP). I can't see that you would be jeopardizing anything by doing exactly as you outlined. If you wanted to start the engine for a while to make sure the battery has a fresh charge, that would be OK too.

Like I said, my engine only has one battery to begin with, and that's been quite adequate for the last 20 years..!
__________________
Ken & Jeannie
96 Vectra Grand Tour 35' DP
Jacey (terri-poo, waiting at the rainbow bridge), Jack (silky terrier), Hannah (poodle)
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 10,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I never realized that the slides and awning were powered from the chassis batteries! Is this true on all coaches?
My slides work off the house batteries.
__________________

__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
batteries, chassis



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Two Batteries vs Four Batteries dubbyjig RV Systems & Appliances 41 05-14-2016 01:23 PM
Why is my Genset Coolant really, **REALLY** low?? MN_Traveler Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 07-01-2012 07:02 AM
Really, really, really dumb question.... Nuiloa Class A Motorhome Discussions 7 05-18-2012 02:03 PM
This really really sucks ninos iRV2.com General Discussion 45 04-23-2012 07:37 PM
So What's A Really Good Medium Duty Two Vehicle Scott Fleming Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 17 02-24-2009 03:09 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.