Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never a dull moment. That's for sure.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
u just gotta love it ! no difference than if you were in a car just a different experience ! i just love it ! cmon u know you do too!

97 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 275 Cat powered
fxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Had a friend that had 2 Alpines, one lemon lawed, the replacement not much better. The last time I talked to him he wished he had his 1999 Ultrasport back. Any way sometimes we make our own pain, think about your house going through an earth quake every time you move. Before I leave the coach gets a check of all systems, every morning before traveling tires and motor gets checked. When I get home anything that needs attention gets repaired. Knock on wood never had a serious problem on the road other than 1 blown tire on a holliday weekend (my fault for running 8 year old tires). My 12 year old Foretravel just keeps going and coming home. I also agree with the the other posters if you are going to own an RV of any kind you need to be fairly handy or have a big wallet.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
When this happens to us, we just stay home awhile and then go off for a few days and stay in a motel. The last time it happened, we went to Maggie Valley NC. Stayed in a nice motel. The next mourning we got up and were getting ready to leave. Upon straightening up the bed, we found a large bundle of hair under the pillow. There is no way those sheets were changed. Also neither of us was grey haired.
GoOd thing dinner was a few hours ago - totally gross!
'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #19
Freightliner Owners Club
The maintenance and projects can be fun. That is if I keep my attitude right. Puttering around on the motorhome is much better than going to work.
Bob, Tarie & the pugdog
2010 Astoria
bob461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Just like the man said . . . .....Every trip it is something. Must say it sounds like your rig was rode hard and put away wet, so to speak. Perhaps contacting the source, whether it was the previous owner, or a dealer, and giving them a piece of your mind, might make you feel better.
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #21
Thanks for all the replies. The coach had 62K miles when we purchased it. Despite the inconveniences we have had, I still prefer it over the motels. I do what I can to repair the problems that pop up. I am getting to know the coach very well. Some things I will leave to my dealer though. Bottom line is we still like this coach a lot.
Repair safely,
2014 Thor Challenger 37KT
Kinston, NC
wingtrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #22
You seem to have a rash of problems lately. It seems that we usuallyt have at least one minor probem per trip.

It is not so bad if you fix most things yourself. You need to of the maintenance and fixing minor things as a hobby.
Robert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The short answer is no, the problems never go away. The name changes to "maintenance" but they may still be unplanned work tasks.
What Gary said.

The old sticks-n-bricks joke is: When you own a house, no matter where you sit you're looking at something you ought to be doing.

Own an RV? Pretty much the same thing. Every day is an adventure!
Ray & Mary
aka Flotsam & Jetsam, The Wandrin' Waters
"Not all who wander are lost."
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #24
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It never really ends when you think about it.
  1. When you buy a used RV, it's about repairs (mostly to repair what the previous owner repaired cause he wasn't as handy as he thought) Eventually, I think the repairs taper off to stage 2.
  2. Owning an RV, maintenance is constant.
  3. Once you have owned it for a while, repaired what need fixing and did the constant required maintenance, it's time to upgrade the RV to have the things the way you want it. That's where I am now$$$
I think if you like the RV and layout changing your RV just changes the above to your new unit process!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If you are going to own an RV it helps to be a bit mechanical or you get to write a lot of checks for the RV shop.

I would not venture to take a guess at all of money I would have spent I I did not do most of my work.

I fully agree Ken, The best solutin is to learn to fix the little stuff yourself and save the shop for the big items.

For example the jack.. Odds are that would hve been a simple thing.

The light switch glued to the dash should be fixed at factory expense, the use of glue in that spot indicates a problem they should have fixed.. That said, ti's easily fixed.

The parking brake.. Well that was your fault.

But there are many little things that for me are easier to fix than it is to drive to the shop.. This includes some plumbing issues and electrical issues (however I am trained in electronics) and some mechanical things as well.

The worst repair I've done to date is swapping out my steering stablizer, but truth be told, that was only two bolts, Two very large bolts but still two bolts.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
What would make you think that nothing will ever breakdown. If you own a home there is always maintenance to do. Mowing the lawn, watering the garden, fixing something or another, or just cleaning the gutters. It is no different with a MH. I have had everything from a new home, new car, new business, etc. Each and everyone of those items required maintenance to some degree or another. Sometimes I liked doing the maintenance and sometimes I didn't, those were the times I hired someone to fix it and went and played golf. I also spent too many years traveling for business and I dislike staying in hotels. My MH may be older, but I know the systems and I know what is not perfect. But I own it and I do what I want when I want with no hassles.

Just remember its all about relaxing and enjoying life. Life is too short to remain on the negative
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #27
We kept the Holiday Rambler for 12 years, then traded it in because it was nickle and diming us every time we took it out. Also we were ready for a different floor plan. The new MH went back to the dealer 3 or 4 times because of manufacturing quality control issues. Moral: New MH, new problems.
Good luck and Happy trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
This is why I created the free RV ToDo List web site. It helps you keep track of all the task that need to be done and all the ones that you have already finished. It can email you reminders when things need to be done and you can add task to your todo list by sending it an email.

Wayne B
2006 Monaco Knight 40PDQ
2008 Chevy HHR
Wayne06 is offline   Reply With Quote