Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you put covers on your tires?
I always cover my tires 65 45.14%
I sometimes cover my tires 43 29.86%
I have covers but don't use them 5 3.47%
I don't have any covers for my tires 31 21.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The important thing is to protect them from UV rays as much as possible. The advantage of using 303 would be that they are being protected even when rolling down the road.
Having said that, it certainly would be best to cover them while setting still, then they are 100% protected from UV.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
I cover them any time parked for more than a night or two. The first set of tires strill looked great when replaced at 7 years. I use the pull on covers with the bungee cord around the bottom, but I haven't use the bungees for at 5 years. They fit snug, so I pull them down and leave the bottom loose. We have been in very high winds many times and no cover has ever come loose.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #17

I do cover mine to protect them from UV.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Inga View Post
No, but we do keep them protected with regular use of 303 and driving the Bounder often.

Bob
303 ????
Old 10-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
303 ????
303 Aerospace Protectant.
www.303products.com
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpadave View Post
Everyone says and thinks their tires are in excellent shape, till they fail!
It is easy to scare people about tires.

Failure can happen at anytime from birth to fifteen years or more or never during the time they are on your rig. I've never experienced tire failure. I do not feel particularly ego driven or reckless when I say I think my tires last well because I care for them well.

At ten years I am replacing because I believe I am being prudent. Some interpret it as irresponsible.

I believe my tires have much more servicability but I am not willing to risk more time on my rig. My tires look fine but I am very interested to see inside when they are changed. I have a friend with twelve years on his tires and he is accepting the risk. He has never had tire failure.

I also know I and he have cared for tires extremely well---including covering which certainly does not do harm and is the subject of the thread.

Trick is in knowing when exactly a tire will fail and you cannot know when exactly---ever. A TPMS is a hedge but not a guarantee.

You can only care for your tires in the best manner you know. Covering is caring for your tires but not a guarantee, so is proper inflation, but not a guarantee. The only guarantee is that tires will eventually need replacing---knowing exactly when is "mystical". The older the tire the more apt it is to fail. But age does not guarantee failure it makes it much more likely.

Perhaps there is a guarantee that if you abuse your tires they will not last as long and be more apt to fail.

Lets hope we all make the proper choices about our tires. Protecting tires by covering (with purchased covers, cloth, plywood, 303, what ever) with something is prudent. It should extend their life.

All respectfully and IMHO, of course.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #21

I have been RV'n, in a motor home, for about 15 years. Sometimes I stay in one place for long periods of time, ie, 3 or 4 months. I go where it is warm so I have no experience with tire protection in cold snowy climates. I have never used tire covers or 303 protectant and have never had a failure or any tire problem that is attributed to sun damage. My tires have lasted for 7 or 8 years and were replaced because of age, not side wall cracking.

I believe tire covers are cosmetic and 303 protectant is snake oil. Soap and water is all I use on my tires.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #22

Go ahead and laugh, I had the white tire covers and they fell apart after about 4-5 years. I had a set custom made out of some heavy marine vinyl, naughahyde material. These will not blow off, and are two colors and match my coach great. In the rear axles (tag) I had one long cover to go over both tires, So I have four covers and three axles. Same cost as three sets at CW. I get a lot of comments as to where did I find them and how much.
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
I just looked up the 303 site mentioned above. Do you use the 303 on surfaces other than the tires?
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #24

I had a coupon for $50 and bought 2 covers from CW, and made a third one out of regular vinyl and coated all with 303(one is hidden by a wall). The Phx sun is brutal in AZ.

For those that say that tires must breathe, and won't use covers, put one over your head and see it you can still breathe. Yeah, I thought so. Where did you hear that? Old wives tale?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Do you use the 303 on surfaces other than the tires?
I use it on anything that is exposed to the Sun, excerpt for cars, they get wax.

I had a boat cover that used to rot the threads every year. After squirting the threads with 303, the only threads that rotted were the ones I missed.

303 was developed for high altitude aircraft as a protectant for ozone and ultra-violet rays. It really works. Makes me wonder it spraying things with SPF 45 would do the same thing for less $. Last time I bought some, it was over $50 /gal.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I just looked up the 303 site mentioned above. Do you use the 303 on surfaces other than the tires?
Safe Travels
Bob
I use it on everything from the roof to the tires, that includes car, truck and boat. Stopped using wax in 1993 and never went back.
Very happy with this "snake oil"
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #27

The boat cover threads were enough to convince me that 303 works.

If you have Michelin tires, it's a good idea to spray them with 303. They are known to develop cracks.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
What is this 303 you speak of?
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires