Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you put covers on your tires?
I always cover my tires 65 45.14%
I sometimes cover my tires 43 29.86%
I have covers but don't use them 5 3.47%
I don't have any covers for my tires 31 21.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 04:11 AM   #57

I don't cover mine, but if it makes you feel good by all means do it. However your tires degrade internally overtime (Fiber cords, steel belts rubber) that cannot be changed by covers or any thing else. Additionally the lack of use, improper inflation, overloading, and contact with curbs and such kills RV tires quicker than exposure to the elements. I don't like throwing away 7-8 year old tires that look new, but It's just the way it is out here.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #58

I was out cleaning my sandrail without my hat on and felt the Sun's UV rays burning the top of my head. While using 303 on my rail, I rubbed some on my head and it stopped the burning, just like sun-block does.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #59

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I was out cleaning my sandrail without my hat on and felt the Sun's UV rays burning the top of my head. While using 303 on my rail, I rubbed some on my head and it stopped the burning, just like sun-block does.
Another good use for 303, thanks for testing.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I spent $2300.00 on new Michelin XRV's. Damn right I cover 'em. I use my awning hook for attaching those pesky bungee cords. makes it a little easier. Kerry
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't have any, but I'm going to get the type that suction cub to the side of the coach. I need black for the black beauty.
Wayne M,
Tire covers were some of the first items I bought, along with outside windshield and side window covers. The MCD brand wheel covers are really neat. The slotted track that the beads on the covers slide into are 3M sticky backed and easy to install just inside of the wheel well opening. Clean the flat surface around the inside of the wheel well, pull the tape off of the back of the track, then apply the track. Any place the track looked like it didn't seal properly I shot a small stainless steal screw in to further stabilize the track. Installation on all four wheel openings took a little over an hour. Then your ready to install the MCD wheel covers. When installed they are about 1/2" inside of the side plane of the coach. The length of covers is adjustable via Velcro, and the bottom of cover is waited down by use of a 1" wide by 3/16" thick metal strap that slides into a pouch in the bottom of the covers. I ordered black as to match the dark paint on the outside of my Discovery. A great product that really has a classy look when installed. And no, I don't sell for MCD!!
tmmk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Another good use for 303, thanks for testing.
$/oz is probably cheaper that OTC sun block. Haven't bought any recently. How many $s do they get for a bottle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotMech View Post
I spent $2300.00 on new Michelin XRV's. Damn right I cover 'em. I use my awning hook for attaching those pesky bungee cords. makes it a little easier. Kerry
Thanks for the tip. The ones I got from CW fit pretty snug without the bungees. The Michelin's will probably crack whether you use covers or not or 303 them or not. Sorry...

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
GoodYear says tire covers are not needed. The G670 RV tire is designed and built with sidewall protection additives against weathering to prolong the tire life.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS440US440&q=goodyear+g670+tire+co vers

QUOTE:
Goodyear RV tires do not need dressings, appearance products or covers to help protect them. In fact, using products that contain alcohol, petroleum or silicone may cause your Goodyear RV tires to deteriorate and crack.
Clean your tires whenever you wash your RV. You can wash your tires with the same products you use to wash your RV – a soft brush and mild soap

END.....

Ozone is more destructive than UV. Keep'em rolling is the answer for long aging other than wearout .....

Well, I keep my tires covered but also have them rolling several times/year.

If covers add 6 mos to the life of the tire, it was worth it when it comes time to buy new...

I've had one tire dealer say covers can accelerate deteriation in a humid climate since they keep moisture trapped where mold and mildew can eat up the tire. Not sure,,, but it sounds plausible.

G670 Warranty:
G670 RV® -
The new tire coverage of this warranty ends when the treadwear indicators become visible or five (5) years from the date of purchase, whichever occurs first. The only exception is weather cracking, which carries a seven (7) year warranty from the date of purchase or when the treadwear indicators become visible, whichever occurs first. Without proof of purchase, date of manufacture will be used to determine eligibility.

Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #64

Ive had BF Goodrich Commercial TA tires on my Jayco and put every kind of protectant I could find on them from day one. They lasted 11 years and were still on the trailer when I sold it. On another trailer I had ST tires and never put anything on them. They lasted 6 years. My new trailer I installed Michelin tires. They are 2 years old this year. They already are showing signs of weathering.
My guess is that tires, while tread technology has improved, the casing is not as well made so, no matter what, the tires crack and fail after 7 years. I dont think it matters what you do any more you just have to buy tires more often.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm not sure you can trust a tire manufacturer or dealer when it comes to their recommendation. I know that sounds like I'm a skeptic. But let's be realistic. They are in the business to sell tires not save the environment or help you save money.

I feel more comfortable making the call myself based upon RVers like you folks telling your experience. Everybody has an opinion. But what is your experience with this issue?

From reading this thread, it sounds like there is a good case for covering your tires.

Dave
Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #66

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts_rv View Post
Why don't more people use covers to extend the useful life of their tires? It seems that tires are the second most expensive reoccurring expense of an RV behind fuel and I am baffled why others don't take the time to cover them up.

I live in western Washington and the climate is mild so maybe many don't think the suns UV rays are doing any damage to their tires. My tires are going on 8 years by the DOT date code and they have zero cracks...I spent some quality time under the RV inspecting them. They are Michelin XRVs.

I just made a 1800 mile round trip this summer to Yellowstone and didn't have any problems. My friend who made the same trip with us has a trailer with 4 year old tires had a blow out on the return trip. He doesn't put any covers on...maybe just bad luck...maybe not.
I replaced my OEM Michelins after 8½ years, they were just starting to crack. I have NEVER covered them either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #67

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Normally I move often. At least every weekend.. Thus it's too much trouble to cover the tires.

Just now.. I'm parked for the better part of a month.. Wheels covered.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I cover mine just to keep the neighbourhood dogs and cats from marking them. Now I just need to get a photo to show the local bylaw officer!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Normally I move often. At least every weekend.. Thus it's too much trouble to cover the tires.

Just now.. I'm parked for the better part of a month.. Wheels covered.
Me too... But I do cover (the sunny side) when I set a spell...
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #70

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
I use 303 as a dressing on the tires after washing mh and tires. I cover tires if I'm stationary a month or more. Still no cracks but will get new in spring, 7 yr old Michelins.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires