Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #127

I'll drink bottled water, but can't stand that it has no taste.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'll drink bottled water, but can't stand that it has no taste.
I just add some JW red and that treats the water.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I don't. We buy all our drinking/ coffee water.
same here.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #130

Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our first motorhome in 1974. It was a 1972 Open Road. We bought our first camper in 1968. We have used the water from the water tank in all ten campers. We have never been sick on a trip in all those 48 years. On the last five motorhomes I have installed a taste and odor filter. (charcoal) It blows my mind to think of the profit margin in bottled water. I have read hundreds of articles about bottled water. Most say it is a ripoff as long as you are using treated water. I do not use untreated well water.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We bought our first motorhome in 1974. It was a 1972 Open Road. We bought our first camper in 1968. We have used the water from the water tank in all ten campers. We have never been sick on a trip in all those 48 years. On the last five motorhomes I have installed a taste and odor filter. (charcoal) It blows my mind to think of the profit margin in bottled water. I have read hundreds of articles about bottled water. Most say it is a ripoff as long as you are using treated water. I do not use untreated well water.
I believe the product with the largest profit margin in any convenience store is bottled water. The only other item that comes close is hot coffee. Have you ever noticed how much display area they both takes up? There's a reason for that.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #132

Tiffin Owners Club
I drink water from my tank. The water at my home has enough chlorine in it to treat the tank and the water lines. Just one yearly task elementated. Just ad one small package of crystal lite to it ad it taste pretty good. I also drink bottled water.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #133

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Just want to add that I wouldn't wash my dog with some of the water we find at campgrounds, much less put it in my freshwater tank and drink it without extensive filtering! JMHO
How in the world did I survive my childhood? I drank from hoses of every color but white. Played football in a field that coexisted with 40 head of cattle.

I am 71+ and haven't had a germ/virus born disease for 30 years, excluding colds. And my last cold was 5 years ago. But I DO suffer the pangs of old age.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #134

Winnebago Owners Club
Just talked about this topic yesterday. We use ours all the time. If we think we are going to run low I use bottle water for the dogs and coffee. Others we talked to said never. I guess personal choice.

Janet Watson
2011 Itasca Sunova37L
and the Great Danes
Sunova37L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #135

When I was growing up, the white hose wasn't even invent yet. Just a kid at 66.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #136

Carolina Campers
Some day all that drinking will catch up to you. When I was much younger I did many things that I don't do any more. I even miss some of the things I used to do.....
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #137

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunova37L View Post
Just talked about this topic yesterday. We use ours all the time. If we think we are going to run low I use bottle water for the dogs and coffee. Others we talked to said never. I guess personal choice.

Janet Watson
2011 Itasca Sunova37L
and the Great Danes
I am with you, Janet. Some people act like you are trying to make them do as you do. I simply say what we do and if others feel differently they are free to do it their way. Everyone on this site makes their own money and are free to spend it any way they see fit.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #138

Started camping in 1996 and have been drinking water from the tanks ever since. 5 MH later, no probs.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #139

Here is a table on water chlorination for drinking safety. We do this and then rely on the on board water filter with carbon filter to remove the chlorine for use. Works pretty good and we are still alive.

Household bleach can be used. This should contain a 5.25% solution of sodium hypochlorite without soap additives or phosphates.
Use 1/8 teaspoon (about 5-8 drops) per gallon of water. Use only 5.25% sodium hypochlorite, such as Clorox bleach -- not scented or colorsafe.

4 drops regular liquid bleach per quart of water
16 drops regular liquid bleach per gallon of water
1 teaspoon regular liquid bleach per 5 gallons of water.
( for you non-metrics out there, like my humble self ! )

Amount of Water Amount of 5% Bleach to Add
1 gal. (4.5 litres), 2 drops (0.18 mL)
2-1/2 gal. (10 litres), 5 drops (0.4 mL)
5 gal. (23 litres), 11 drops (0.9 mL)
10 gal. (45 litres), 22 drops (1.8 mL)
22 gal. (100 litres), 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL)
45 gal. (205 litres), 1-1/2 teaspoons (8 mL)
50 gal. (230 litres), 1-3/4 teaspoons (9 mL)
100 gal. (450 litres), 3-1/2 teaspoons (18 mL)
220 gal. (1000 litres), 8 teaspoons (40 mL)
500 gal. (2200 litres), 6 tablespoons (90 mL)
1000 gal. (4550 litres), 6-1/2 ounces or 12 tablespoons (180 mL)

If bleach is more than one year old, it loses approximately 50% strength. In this case, the amount of bleach should be doubled. After treating with chlorine, mix well and allow water to stand 30 minutes before using. Use this eyedropper for no other purpose. If the bleach is not dated, at time of purchase, note the date on the bottle with a permanent marker.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I am with you, Janet. Some people act like you are trying to make them do as you do. I simply say what we do and if others feel differently they are free to do it their way. Everyone on this site makes their own money and are free to spend it any way they see fit.
X 2. I'm with you ga
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank, water