Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #155

Monaco Owners Club
Us Neither

We carry bottled water for drinking.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #156

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

Water from municipal treatment plants and all public sources are required to meet or exceed EPA drinking water standards, yes we keep our onboard water system sanitized and drink water from the system.

Bottled water however, does NOT have to meet the same water quality standards established by the EPA safe drinking water standards.
Drink bottled water at your own risk, the EPA does not have the same standards regulating its purity.
The fact that bottled water has less standards than municipal water is purely a "scare tactic" trying to cut into the multi-billion dollar industry.

I have yet to hear of masses of people in the USA that have died from tainted bacteria laden bottled water.

However, there are millions around the world that die everyday from terrible drinking water or no water at all.

Drink whatever you want that you think is good for your health. It's your body, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 05-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #157

Fleetwood Owners Club
Water is basic to sustain life and if the only way to get clean and safe water in America is to purchase it, we are all at great risk. Corporations sell water and they have a vested interest to paint their product with the best possible image, negative ads work, scare the heck out of everyone and soon your message is considered fact. I drink water from most public sources and consider it necessary and reasonable to consider it as safe.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The fact that bottled water has less standards than municipal water is purely a "scare tactic" trying to cut into the multi-billion dollar industry.

I have yet to hear of masses of people in the USA that have died from tainted bacteria laden bottled water.

However, there are millions around the world that die everyday from terrible drinking water or no water at all.

Drink whatever you want that you think is good for your health. It's your body, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
The same could be said about tap water being unsafe - Scare tactics to get you to buy into the multi-billion dollar bottle water industry... which in some reported cases is no more than tap water ...and off-leash dogs and cats drink from mud puddles.

Thanks to all the well wishers. The radiation lab gave me a diploma that said: blah... blah.. blah... proudly announces that William Blahblah has successfully completed.... My name is Michael. Got that... Michael. Hope that's no indication of the quality of their treatment.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #159

I drank from a garden hose just yesterday. It did taste better than it did 60 years ago.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #160

Yes we drink the water from our storage tanks. For medical reasons I need to drink non-fluoridated water, so by the time it reaches my glass, our drinking water has gone through four filters, a water softener and a reverse osmosis system.

Sue
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
Yes we drink the water from our storage tanks. For medical reason I need to drink non-fluorinated water, so by the time it reaches my glass, our drinking water has gone through four filters, a water softener and a reverse osmosis system.

Sue
I'd say you've got it covered.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #162

Carolina Campers
You need to use a white drinking water hose..... LOl
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #163

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
We have always carried bottled water to drink. I can't seem to convince my husband that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store. Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks? Thanks for any input or thoughts.

We don't drink water from the tank. Since we don't dry camp, it's too much trouble keeping it drinkable.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #164

A lot of long answers here so I'll keep mine short.

No, we do not drink water from, cook with, or ingest water from the holding tank. Closest we come is brushing our teeth.

We also don't ingest campground water.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

Let's keep the topic of the thread in mind folks.

The OP asked "DO" we drink water from our FW tank... not, what we think about the safety of doing so.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #166

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Let's keep the topic of the thread in mind folks.

The OP asked "DO" we drink water from our FW tank... not, what we think about the safety of doing so.

Rick
I think that goes "Hand In Hand" Mr. Moderator................Not??
Old 05-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #167

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
We have always carried bottled water to drink. I can't seem to convince my husband that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store. Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks? Thanks for any input or thoughts.
The OP, as quoted, asked if anyone else has concerns about using water form holding tanks. I was thinking most posts have been very much on topic, but sometimes we are all a bit creative in our attempt at expressing our thoughts...
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #168

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Here is a table on water chlorination for drinking safety. We do this and then rely on the on board water filter with carbon filter to remove the chlorine for use. Works pretty good and we are still alive.

Household bleach can be used. This should contain a 5.25% solution of sodium hypochlorite without soap additives or phosphates.
Use 1/8 teaspoon (about 5-8 drops) per gallon of water. Use only 5.25% sodium hypochlorite, such as Clorox bleach -- not scented or colorsafe.

4 drops regular liquid bleach per quart of water
16 drops regular liquid bleach per gallon of water
1 teaspoon regular liquid bleach per 5 gallons of water.
( for you non-metrics out there, like my humble self ! )

Amount of Water Amount of 5% Bleach to Add
1 gal. (4.5 litres), 2 drops (0.18 mL)
2-1/2 gal. (10 litres), 5 drops (0.4 mL)
5 gal. (23 litres), 11 drops (0.9 mL)
10 gal. (45 litres), 22 drops (1.8 mL)
22 gal. (100 litres), 3/4 teaspoon (4 mL)
45 gal. (205 litres), 1-1/2 teaspoons (8 mL)
50 gal. (230 litres), 1-3/4 teaspoons (9 mL)
100 gal. (450 litres), 3-1/2 teaspoons (18 mL)
220 gal. (1000 litres), 8 teaspoons (40 mL)
500 gal. (2200 litres), 6 tablespoons (90 mL)
1000 gal. (4550 litres), 6-1/2 ounces or 12 tablespoons (180 mL)

If bleach is more than one year old, it loses approximately 50% strength. In this case, the amount of bleach should be doubled. After treating with chlorine, mix well and allow water to stand 30 minutes before using. Use this eyedropper for no other purpose. If the bleach is not dated, at time of purchase, note the date on the bottle with a permanent marker.
My owners manual and stories in MH Magazine say cup bleach to every 15 gallons of water in our tank. I haven't done it in a couple years but when I do that's what I use.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank, water