Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #169

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I drank from a garden hose just yesterday. It did taste better than it did 60 years ago.
My hoses never last that long!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #170

I filter and treat the water going into the fresh water tank then we filter it again with a Pūr water filter/ pitcher.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
The OP, as quoted, asked if anyone else has concerns about using water form holding tanks. I was thinking most posts have been very much on topic, but sometimes we are all a bit creative in our attempt at expressing our thoughts...
You're right guys. I was too quick on the draw.
Sorry.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #172

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
Yes we drink the water from our storage tanks. For medical reasons I need to drink non-fluoridated water, so by the time it reaches my glass, our drinking water has gone through four filters, a water softener and a reverse osmosis system.

Sue
Now that is "clean" water. After my last camping trip, with the worst water we have ever experienced in a park, I am going to start looking at this type of set up.

I may even try to find a way to pump my bottled water through there since it is at such risk of not being regulated by the EPA...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #173

Freightliner Owners Club
We are very lucky. Our well is 450' deep in solid granite. It will frost a glass of water in July and is delicious. We fill our holding tank before leaving home and use it for for all our water needs including drinking. We do have a water purifier which helps when hooked up to park water, but we'll use our tank water until it's gone. I know water from most other parts of the country is tainted with chlorine, fluoride or other treatment chemicals...like I said...we're just lucky.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #174

Carolina Campers
Now you got me jealous! Lusting after your well water man!

I was thinking about heading up to Seattle in July. I may need to get a tank full when out that way....
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #175

my well is 275 deep...tastes great and is cold as can be...I always fill our FW tank before leaving home. I am careful though about leaving water in the tank...not having any chlorine in it(like city water)...I doubt it would stay drinkable too long while the coach is parked unused.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #176

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
I am careful though about leaving water in the tank...not having any chlorine in it(like city water)...I doubt it would stay drinkable too long while the coach is parked unused.
Yep, exactly why we like our city water with chlorine in it, stays good for a while. The MH has a separate drinking water spigot with a charcoal filter though. Our city water is all well water and is some of the best in the nation according to the studies. Been drinking it for most of my 66 years
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #177

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
my well is 275 deep...tastes great and is cold as can be...I always fill our FW tank before leaving home. I am careful though about leaving water in the tank...not having any chlorine in it(like city water)...I doubt it would stay drinkable too long while the coach is parked unused.
We always empty the tank on our way home after a trip just for that reason. Then refill before the next one. I can't imagine drinking swimming pool water.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #178

Newmar Owners Club
Water, water - RO system 30 day feedback

I posted earlier about how we disliked the tank water and lugging water bottles. I installed a Reverse Osmosis system on the water tap and icemaker line in my 2013 Entegra Aspire. I bought the system from RVWaterFilterStore.com (not affiliated or compensated). I gotta say we love it. I'll never go back. The icemaker water tastes like Rocky Mountain spring water. The campground I am in now in Mississippi has water with a strong chlorine smell but the RO water is crisp, clean and pure.

Cost about $350. Install time about 2hours. Try it!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #179

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I posted earlier about how we disliked the tank water and lugging water bottles. I installed a Reverse Osmosis system on the water tap and icemaker line in my 2013 Entegra Aspire. I bought the system from RVWaterFilterStore.com (not affiliated or compensated). I gotta say we love it. I'll never go back. The icemaker water tastes like Rocky Mountain spring water. The campground I am in now in Mississippi has water with a strong chlorine smell but the RO water is crisp, clean and pure.

Cost about $350. Install time about 2hours. Try it!
When I researched RO systems it appears that it takes as much as ten gallons of water to produce one gallon of drinking water. We occasionally boondock so that kind of efficiency would not be acceptable. Is this RV system more efficient?
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #180

Carolina Campers
I believe that you are mistaken that it is a ten to one conversion ratio. It is just one more step of filtration and would have minimal impact on the volume output.

I believe that conversion rate relates to using sea water, where there may be significantly high volumes of contaminants in the water.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
When I researched RO systems it appears that it takes as much as ten gallons of water to produce one gallon of drinking water. We occasionally boondock so that kind of efficiency would not be acceptable. Is this RV system more efficient?
The key here is "up to". The key to acceptable efficiency is high input pressure. If you are boondocking, you wouldn't be producing any RO water anyway, you would be using out of your storage tank. Many RV RO systems put to outlet RO water into the onboard storage tank.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #182

Newmar Owners Club
RO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
The number I read was 5:1 for RO conversion and higher pressure is better.

Yes, if you boondock you might not want the RO setup. I have a simple valve to shutoff my RO input supply and then my water tap and icemaker won't work until I return to a city water supply and I can boondock as long as I want. I "boondock" about 5% of my RV time. I think the conveinence the other 95% is worth it. Lug water around if you like.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank, water