Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #183

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Good Sam Highways magazine has an alternative on p. 28 of the May-July issue. But no clue where that water comes from.

We don't have much experience and have been using both city water and water from the freshwater tank for everything. But after reading this thread I am having second thoughts.

Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #184

Monaco Owners Club
Why have second thoughts? Most bottle water is nothing but tap water from where it was bottled anyway. More bad things found in bottle water since it is not regulated as much as city/tap water. People have been drinking the tap water for decades and no problems so again why second thoughts?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #185

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I drank from a garden hose just yesterday. It did taste better than it did 60 years ago.
Hey, at least you don't drink from a 60 yr old hose like Dunner.... Lol
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #186

I'm drinking bottle water right now. I came from my tap. When I'm camping, it comes from my holding tank.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #187

Carolina Campers
I have a bottle in my hand, but it tastes better than water.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #188

Times have changed, a BUNCH!!

In ancient Gaelic (back when Scots & Irish Gaelic was nearly the same) the word we know today as "whiskey" which was then "uisce beatha" (literally meaning "water of life") referred to the fact that they took water from anywhere, distilled it, thus sterilizing it, and then it was safe to drink.

Today, times have changed, technology has changed, but there's no use risking it. A little "uisce beatha" is only being safe and prudent.

Yeah, that's my story & I'm sticking with it! LOL
Old 05-16-2013, 07:53 PM   #189

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Why have second thoughts? Most bottle water is nothing but tap water from where it was bottled anyway. More bad things found in bottle water since it is not regulated as much as city/tap water. People have been drinking the tap water for decades and no problems so again why second thoughts?
Second thoughts about drinking from my freshwater tank that has old water in it and not sanitized between uses.

As far as drinking from the holding tank, isn't that where the gray water lives?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
As far as drinking from the holding tank, isn't that where the gray water lives?
Yes, after it is filtered.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #191

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I just spent the winter in Louisiana, eating crabs, crawfish, catfish and oysters. Those things live in and filter some pretty disgusting muck. If you think that tap water stored in a 100 gallon bottle for a couple of days is going to bother me, your nuts.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
When I was growing up, the white hose wasn't even invent yet. Just a kid at 66.
Right! I don't remember a white hose either as a kid. I drank from the green one, and if I remember right, it was super yummy water.

To the OP, I cook with my tank. And shower, blah blah. But now these days I guess I am a bottle water junkie. I blame society for all these new and improved scare tactics.

Side note: Dunner: you are older than me, so maybe the white hose was invented when I was a kid, but my parents never bought it? As a matter of fact, my parents still have a green garden hose.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #193

For filling my MH, I have 2 white ones connected together and fill it with soft water. I drain it and connect the ends together after each use. I also flush it well before each fill.

When I was buying a hose for my backyard, Walmart had many to chose from. Long Lasting, Heavy Duty, Anti-Kink, etc. They all felt the same thickness. I bought the cheapest one and it's still working fine after 2 years.

For the front yard, I have a 125' black one. The water out of it during the summer is so hot, I think you could make hard boiled eggs with it. I know it would leave a mark if too much of it got on your skin.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #194

I drink from the tank but try not to fill the tank with water that I don't like. Not all safe water pleases the palette and the palette is often adapted to home. In the cases where travel requires filling with water prior to finding pleasant water I have bottled water that pleases my palette.
I prep the tank with flushing and chlorination prior to seasonal fill and drain when not in use, flush before refilling. I also keep in mind a farm neighbor that died at 99 and said his well that tested positive probably only had enough e-coli to keep him inoculated.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #195

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowboy View Post
I also keep in mind a farm neighbor that died at 99 and said his well that tested positive probably only had enough e-coli to keep him inoculated.
Well there is the answer then. Only drink from wells that test positive!!! You don't want negative water now do we....
Old 05-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Most bottle water is nothing but tap water from where it was bottled anyway.

More bad things found in bottle water since it is not regulated as much as city/tap water.
I'm a little confused, you say most bottled water IS tap water, but then say bottled (tap) water is not regulated as much as tap (bottled) water.

How is that possible?

What 'bad things' are found in bottled (tap) water?

Tags
storage, tank, water