Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2013, 07:18 AM   #197

National RV Owners Club
I don't think it's so much bad things that are found in bottled water. It's essentially municipal water that's been run through reverse osmosis filtration. Only things I see as bad about bottled water is the cost and environmental impact of the empties. Bottled water might run around $.05 or more per ounce where municipal water is $.01 or less per gallon. Even gasoline that's got to be pulled from the ground and refined before it's a useable product is less than bottled water in cost. Then there's the waste issue of all the plastic waste from bottled water. I'm not a tree hugger but all that plastic that's not recycled has to go somewhere.

I wonder how many people scoffed at the idea and steered clear of investing in a company with someone saying, "Hey I've got an idea. Let's bottle water and sell it. I think it will really catch on"

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #198

I take it what pirate meant to say was that there are more bad thing are found in bottle water than in tap water, since tap water is more as regulated.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #199

Monaco Owners Club
Here are just a few things that come up when you start to research bottled or tap water. In test after test of bottled and tap waters in most cases tap does have less bacteria. In blind taste tests those that say they don't like tap usually end up picking tap as the best taste. So for me why am I going to pay up to 100 times more for what tap water costs? That is my opinion and you may have a different one and that is fine. If everyone thought the same and did the same things it would be a very boring place.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bottled-Wa...rns&id=4063878
Bottled Water and It's Problems
NRDC: Bottled Water
Bottled water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaDrinking water information: Bottled or tap, which is safer?
Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap? - ABC News
Old 05-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #200

Gulf Streamers Club
200 posts on water! Why not make it a survey question if folks are so hell-bent on knowing what others do? I really don't care enough to build a survey, but obviously it's created 200 posts (I admit, a few are mine) on the subject.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #201

Carolina Campers
Hey, I remember when I was just trying to get this thread to 8 pages.... To see how far it has gone just makes me wet... I need another drink...
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #202

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are many types of bottled water. Remember when it was just fancy naturally carbonated spring water from France (Perrier)? Agreed that most of it is "purified" municipal tap water run through carbon filtration to remove the chlorine (usually 0.3 to 1.0 PPM of Cl) put there by the city to kill the cooties. But lots of it is "spring" water, usually taken directly from a dedicated well that has good tasting water, it is filtered and run through UV sterilization before being bottled. "Spring" water bottles must list the general location of the spring or well. Here in MI, Nestle, which owns the popular Ice Mountain brand, pulls water from wells in rural areas (called springs, a nebulous term), then pipes it through miles of stainless steel water mains to the bottling plant. It has become a hot button issue as the wells may pull 500 gallons per minute from the local groundwater and then ship it out of state.

Read the label to see what type of water you are drinking and where it comes from. Folks drink bottled water for many reasons, mainly for the convenience or because the local tap water may not taste as good because of impurities that are not of a health concern. I guess I am a bad person as I prefer the convenience of grabbing a bottle of water and not worrying about having to bring a refillable bottle home to clean and refill even though I have good tasting municipal well water. But my bottles do go into the recycle container.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I take it what pirate meant to say was that there are more bad thing are found in bottle water than in tap water, since tap water is more as regulated.
My question though was based on what she said, that bottled water was tap water in a bottle.

If it IS tap water, how can it be LESS pure than tap water which is what it is? It's obviously a contradictory statement, I was trying to figure out what was trying to be said.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Here are just a few things that come up when you start to research bottled or tap water. In test after test of bottled and tap waters in most cases tap does have less bacteria.

Is Bottled Water Better Than Tap? - ABC News
Do you by chance have a link to any of those "test after test" results? I read the links you provided, and while several tried to carefully word the statements to lead you to believe they are saying something they're not.

There was one definitive statement by an authoritative source on the ABC news page, Dr. Stephen Edberg of Yale University School of Medicine who said "No, I wouldn't argue it's safer or not safer.".

Again I ask, if the bottled water IS tap water, how can it be any worse than the tap water itself? That's kind of like saying I don't look like me.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #205

Monaco Owners Club
The confusion lies between what bottled water used to be many years ago versus tap water when trying to explain the FDA controls on such water.

The bottle water industry has changed significantly since back then and most likely the majority of bottle water users today are now drinking modified Reverse Osmosis Tap Water.

CJ7ole has referenced the FDA regulated "difference" between the companies bottling "Spring Water", "Well Water" and tap water however most of the bottled water being consumed today by American's is most likely regulated municipal TAP water processed through a series of filters, RO systems, UV systems, etc. and then some minerals may be added for taste depending on what brand you buy.

Bottle water today is not like it use to be when it first hit the scene. I drink bottled water because I don't like the strong taste of chlorine. If I am out to a restaurant and order water, I will ask for it with lime or lemon to cover up the chlorine taste.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #206

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
We have always carried bottled water to drink. I can't seem to convince my husband that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store. Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks? Thanks for any input or thoughts.
Lets go way back to the OP......

1 - they have always used bottled wafer.
2 - she (assumed) believes, and wants to convince her (assumed) husband "that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store."
3 - she wants to know "Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks?"

So starting with #1, we also use bottled water. We use two types of bottled water;

1 - We fill up 5 gallon jugs at Whole Foods. Why? Because even though we know that it is from the municipal water supply, we also know it has been filtered thoroughly and has gone through RO. We know that the local municipal eater meets the EPA standards, but we also know it has contaminants that the EPA allows and pass as acceptable, that we want removed. With the additional filtering and RO process we know that we have purer water for drinking, cooking and coffee. We know it tastes better than tap water and makes better tasting coffee. It is also far cheaper than bottled water and far better for the environment by reducing the number of plastic bottles (even though we do recycle those).

2 - When traveling, we buy bottled water from Costco. As with the water we get at Whole Foods, we know that this is from the municipal water supply, filtered and they use RO as well, then add minerals to taste. This provides us with a reliable source of purified water that has a consistent taste and purity. We recycle where possible when on the road.

We believe that the drinking water at most parks in the US have been tested for safety and meet EPA standards. We use it for showers, dish washing, cleaning and as a last resort we will brush our teeth with it, or if we run out of bottled water, we may even make coffee with it or even drink it.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #207

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post

The second item of the OP was......

2 - she (assumed) believes, and wants to convince her (assumed) husband "that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store."
So for this part of the OP, we have several quandaries to over come;

First and foremost, does her husband even really want to consider other sides of this issue..... We may talk about this for months and not have any impact on her husbands thinking about the purity of the water in the holding tank vs bottled water...

Secondly, her husbuand and may have stopped listening to the constant complaining about how ridiculous he is to lug bottled water around and simply does it out of spite now....

Third, the purity of the water in the holding tank depends on what the last source was for filing it up, how often they clean their holding tank, how old the holding tank is, what type of material was the holding tank made of, etc, etc, etc.

Lastly, without knowing her husband, he may be the type that it would be futile to try to convince of any thing once be has his mind made up...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
We have always carried bottled water to drink. I can't seem to convince my husband that water in our holding tank is no more contaminated than water in a bottle from the store. Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks? Thanks for any input or thoughts.
Yes.
Input or thoughts...
I just chlorine it before using them. As clean as local water pipes at that point.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #209

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post

3 - she wants to know "Does anyone else have concerns about using water from holding tanks?"
As with part #2 of the OP, we have several more things to consider;

First, there are several holding tanks. The fresh water holding tank, the grey water holding tank and the black water holding tank. I think it is safe to assume that she is talking about the fresh water holding tank...

Secondly, how old is the freshwater tank? How often has the fresh water tank been purged and cleaned?

Third, what material was the holding tank made from (i.e.: if plastic, was it made from a BPA free plastic or does it have the older plastic tank filled with this known carcinogenic chemical in it?).

Fourth, the purity of the water in the holding tank depends on what the last source was for filing it up, how often they clean their holding tank, how old the holding tank is, what type of material was the holding tank made of, etc, etc, etc.

There are a lot at reasons to be concerned about using water from the holding tank....
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #210

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not to add fuel to the debate, but perhaps this does place pause if you don't know your water source. At least in our area, we get an annual report on the quality of our local water.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/politics...42e_story.html

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank, water