Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #211

This topic begs the question; Has anyone here actually gotten sick/ill from drinking water from their RV fresh water system?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #212

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This topic begs the question; Has anyone here actually gotten sick/ill from drinking water from their RV fresh water system?
For me it has less to do with the possibility of getting sick than it has to do with protecting my plumbing and heating systems. Having clean healthy water is just a bonus.

When we first began full-timing I had a neighbor in our winter roost in TX show me a valve that had to be replaced due to mineral deposits in the water from the same campground the year before. I came to the conclusion that clean soft water was a "pay me now or pay me later" proposition. The upfront money I spent on our water softener/filtration system is small potatoes compared to what I would spend in plumbing/Hydro-Hot repairs. That would just be a matter of time.

Besides the obvious health benefits of clean, soft, mineral deposit free water there are hidden benefits also. Chief among them are clean plumbing with no mineral deposit buildup in the pipes or expensive systems like Hydro and Aqua-Hots. You can also include the fact that soft water means better sudsing action in washers and dish water. Softer clothes and towels. Water that cascades off of your vehicle when you wash it instead of leaving water spots. The black tank stays cleaner because *stuff* tends to slide off the vertical surfaces better.

I'm not trying to convince anyone that they need to run out and spend hundreds of dollars on water filtration. Just pointing out the 'not so obvious' benefits of it for those of us who full-time or spend extended periods parked in the same spot where hard and/or not so clean water may exist.

Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #213

Gulf Streamers Club
The old trapper's name for the sickness from water was Beaver Fever, believing it came from drinking water contaminated by beaver waste. It is now usually called giardia after a one-celled micro organism. Montezuma's Revenge, stomach flu, Beaver Fever, Giardiasis, whatever you call it, is caused by many things other than giardia. Hundreds of viruses, bacteria, many things causes this condition. 7% of Americans are carriers, and the percentage is higher for people who spend time outdoors.
It is transmitted by ingestion that can be from under a fingernail, any contaminated surface, etc.

Drinking the water in a properly maintained RV water tank is NOT going to be a major source of this problem.

I'd rather worry about getting buried under a mountain of plastic water bottles and the depletion of natural resources with all these one time use containers.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:56 AM   #214

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most municipalities are required to have a chlorine residual in their water, and this is what generally makes the water safe to drink. About the only case where a disinfectant is not added is in a small system supplied by well water with no other chemicals added such as for iron sequestering. Take out the chlorine when you purify the water and now you must rely on the water being absolutely bacteriologicallly clean and free from other pathogens. It must sit in that bottle for a long time and if there is a foul up in the bottling plant after the chlorine is removed, then theoretically, you could have an issue. Likely to happen? No. On the other hand there are pathogens in surface waters supplying some cities, Milwaukee comes to mind, that are resistant to normal levels of chlorine but would be removed in the filtering/purification in the bottling plant. Cities must now test for those pathogens and provide alternate treatment that would remove them before distribution in the water mains.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #215

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penster View Post
Thanks for any input or thoughts.
BF,

Your input, thought (or even rants, it appears to me) are as requested by the OP. I assume you also respect the input and thoughts of all the rest of the posters as well.

What we should do is all go get a large drink of water, it's origin is your choice, and drink it slowly to quench our thirst for what is right in the world.

Ted
Old 05-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #216

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I haven't read all 16 pages of threads but there is one thing that comes to mind with drinking water from your FW tanks (from a used unit). RV antifreeze. How do you folks flush your system completely to be sure it's safe to drink?

Wife and I are about to bring home our first full size TT we purchased together tonight. It is a 99 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS and the PO has stated he used RV antifreeze in his FW tank and ran it through the system. I was somewhat un-easied when I heard this. I do not plan to drink from the FW system and only shower on board when absolutely needed.

When I purchased my first Hybrid TT when I was 19 I was a fanatic about the FW. I never used antifreeze and I filtered the water going into my system. I always blew out the water with low pressure compressed air and poured RV antifreeze down all the drains that had traps.

So, those that use RV antifreeze how do you completely clean out your FW system???
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #217

Gulf Streamers Club
RV anti freeze is labeled non-toxic. Fill and empty water tank by running it though faucets. I usually add 1/4 cup of bleach per 10 gallons and run it though the system, let sit, then fill and empty one or two more times. All clean.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #218

Carolina Campers
You are assuming that the PO used RV antifreeze versus regular antifreeze. Knowing how unpredictable people are, you don't know....

RV antifreeze is supposed to be safe for the FW holding tank.... Of course, asbestos used to be safe, same with many pesticides that are now banned.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #219

Carolina Campers
The best way not have to deal with RV antifreeze is simply not use it. A better option is to head south when is gets cold and keep going until you are warm.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #220

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
LoL, that was my thoughts. However, I don't really care much about the heat. If I had my way my family would be living in the arctic circle.

I guess I'll just flush the system as best as I can. I don't see any traces of red (RV antifreeze) or green liquid in the FW tank or lines. Hmm...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #221

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
I don't see any traces of red (RV antifreeze) or green liquid in the FW tank or lines. Hmm...
Green liquid in your fresh water system, that wouldn't be good...
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #222

Freightliner Owners Club
Been using the pink in the boats and RV's for 25 years. Flush out in the spring with your normal city/well water and your good to go. Gasgets in all your faucets and toilets are moist and not dryed out and the water tastes great. But, just like every other opinion, we'll hear from chemical engineers here that say we should have a will.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #223

iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually RV antifreeze is Propylene Glyco and water, and is not a problem. I use the automotive version because it is not poisonous to animals, The MSDS sheet reads " No significant adverse effects are expected under anticipated conditions of normal use. Excessive ingestions may cause central nervous system effects. It is sweet in taste and as long as you flush it not a problem.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:22 AM   #224

Carolina Campers
See what I mean! Exactly, you just can not assume that the PO used what they should have...

Tags
storage, tank, water