Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #43

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
When I bought my last motorhome new I drank the water from the fresh water tank. After about 15 years I started using bottled water for coffee and drinking water. Last year a friend encouraged me to use the Britta water filter in addition to the filter I have before water enters the MH. I quit using the bottled water.

Two months ago I bought a used motorhome. I have not had an opportunity to completely sterilize the fresh water tank so I used bottled water for the first trip and put a new filter at the water inlet and new Britta filter in my pitcher and now use the water from the pitcher for drinking, coffee, etc.

At home I have a water cooler with bottled water that I buy. For coffee at home I use tap water but I prefer the bottled water to mix with Crystal Light mixes.

Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #44

Yes...NO bottled water for me..I never did understand the "bottled" water mentality. Bottled water goes to show free enterprise does work...many have gotten filthy rich on the concept

Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #45

I fill my fresh tank with soft water from home. I'm used to it and it tastes fine.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #46

iRV2 No Limits Club
I sanitize the tank and filter all of the water going into it, down to the microbe level. It is safer than the water you get at home (unless you have the filters I do .
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post

Ours is the opposite!! My wife hauls gallons of water. I have decided to pick the fights and that is not worth fighting..
Ditto. I drink it or use it to cook when she isn't looking. Shhhhh
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
YES
but ALL 100% of the water we use for drinking, ice (i plumbed the ice maker water lines to receive ro water) and coffee goes through a 1 micron whole house filter and a reverse osmosis system.

so no matter how bad the cg water may be, we get safe water imo

I do sterilize the fw tank if we sit for a long period.
if we are heading home i fill it up so i can pump it to our large water holding tank at home for plants
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #49

Carolina Campers
I have an inline filter for all drinking and ice maker. I still drink bottled water most of the time. But i have used the filtered water for coffee and cooking.

One reason to use bottled water (i.e. like from Costco) is that I like a consistent taste and purity, alkaline, sodium, and mineral level. I drink a lot of water myself. I never have drank soft drinks, etc. As I am traveling in the US primarily, and am fairly sure that the water has been tested for safety, I am not as concerned about the water being safe to drink, as I am in consistency. I also want to be sure of purity, but consistency is also important.

Water from NM is not the same as water from NC. They have different alkaline levels, mineral content, sodium level, etc. They are both safe to drink, but you can tear up your digestive system when you switch to various water sources.

Just my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #50

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
Been drinking from the holding tanks of our motorhomes since our first in 1979.
Same here since 1957!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 PM   #51

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Yes...NO bottled water for me..I never did understand the "bottled" water mentality. Bottled water goes to show free enterprise does work...many have gotten filthy rich on the concept
Most bottled water is just taken from the municipal water supply and they add minerals for a little better taste. It's one of the biggest rip offs there is. Same water they use to make pop along with great marketing by the companies too!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 PM   #52

Carolina Campers
Just goes to show you... We all have our own way of thinking about a lot of topics.

For one person, maybe buying bottles of water is a waste of money, for another it is worth the cost.

I love traveling around in my RV, my neighbor thinks it is a waste of money.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Just goes to show you... We all have our own way of thinking about a lot of topics.

For one person, maybe buying bottles of water is a waste of money, for another it is worth the cost.

I love traveling around in my RV, my neighbor thinks it is a waste of money.
You hit that one.....................I'm with you on that.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #54

We normally just drink whatever comes out of the tap into the water tank, but in countries with suspect water supplies or when filling from roadside springs, we do add either 1 teaspoon chlorox or similar per 10 gallons or a silver compound just in case, especially if there is a herd of goats grazing on the mountain above the spring.
7 years and 20 countries, we have never had a health problem attributable to the water.
I fib a little because I do normally carry at least one bottle of water just in case the main tank springs a leak and I need my cup of coffee to get going in the morning, and at one campsite in Mexico the well water had such a strong swampy taste that the coffee didn't taste right so we did use bottled water for a couple of days.

Buying renewable water at a higher cost per litre than non-renewable gasoline seems a bit crazy to me. Wise precaution for anyone with compromised immune system but hardlu essential for 99% of the normal population.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We drink all the water in the rig. Use a high quality whole house filter and another biological filter for the drinking water. The water in the FW tank is never more than a couple of days old and even as full-timers I sterilize the water system at least annually. I occasionally test the water to verify if the filters are really working.
The whole house filter removes the chlorine as well as other stuff and I'm going to check on changing the filter type to one that will not remove the chlorine but still do a good job with the rest of contaminants.
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Water from tank

We got tired of lugging water bottles so I installed these two products and our water is great now....

1. Portable water softener from SoftCell. Saw them at Tampa RV show.

2. Reverse Osmosis system on drinking water spigot and icemaker from Rick at RVWaterFilterStore.com

Here's a pic....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	37906  

2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank, water