Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
I drink the water from the tank. Keep the system maintained, know the source of the water one puts in the tank. For me, not a problem.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I drink bottled water. I bottle it at home or from my MH holding tank.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #73

Water from municipal treatment plants and all public sources are required to meet or exceed EPA drinking water standards, yes we keep our onboard water system sanitized and drink water from the system. Bottled water however, does NOT have to meet the same water quality standards established by the EPA safe drinking water standards.
Drink bottled water at your own risk, the EPA does not have the same standards regulating its purity.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #74

I don't understand why if 1 keeps their water tanks properly maintained, they would not drink from it(especially those with 1 or more water filters in their system). Plastic water tank or plastic store bought bottled water..what is the difference?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
I don't understand why if 1 keeps their water tanks properly maintained, they would not drink from it(especially those with 1 or more water filters in their system). Plastic water tank or plastic store bought bottled water..what is the difference?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #76
laj

if i can't use my mh for all facets i might as well save the money and buy a tent. sanitize mine, have a good filter on it, never give it a second thought. Use the H20 in tank for everything. never had a problem.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #77

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph A View Post
We drink all the water in the rig. Use a high quality whole house filter and another biological filter for the drinking water. The water in the FW tank is never more than a couple of days old and even as full-timers I sterilize the water system at least annually. I occasionally test the water to verify if the filters are really working.
The whole house filter removes the chlorine as well as other stuff and I'm going to check on changing the filter type to one that will not remove the chlorine but still do a good job with the rest of contaminants.
My whole house filter is there to remove particles but leave the chlorine. Our drinking water filter is a biologic filter also as is the separate one for the ice maker.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
We use our rig all the time, water never sits in the tank if we are not using it. I sanitize the tank once a year anyway. Both of us drink the water from it, no reason not to. I am not sure why folks just don't sanitize it and drink away. If you think about it the stuff from the spigot is probably from a tank, and at some point was rain water that flowed through who knows what before it came out of the tap. This reminds me of drinking from the water hose when I was a kid, no harm done.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #79

Carolina Campers
It sounds like one common theme herd here, drink water regardless if it is bottled or from the tank.

I'll guarantee it is better for you than soda pop, and if you really want to get dehydrated, only drink beer or other alcoholic beverages.

Water will get you wet.... I love the long thread about nothing more than water. It is amazing how it can get some folks pissed off.... Lol
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My whole house filter is there to remove particles but leave the chlorine. Our drinking water filter is a biologic filter also as is the separate one for the ice maker.
I was looking at a "Whole House" filter assembly at Home Depot last night. I'm thinking of puting one of those right in the water bay connected directly to the fill port on the panel. Then no matter where I fill, I just connect the fill hose to the filter................and no worries. Then put a carbon filter right under the sink for drinking water. I told the wife I'm liking this idea better than constantly lugging cases of bottled water in the coach.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
I think many of us who replied that we don't drink water from the MH holding tank... also don't drink the tap water from our stick houses. With me, it's not that I have concern about the safety of a well maintained holding tank... it's just that I prefer to drink bottled water wherever I am.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #82

Carolina Campers
Same here Rick. I am with you there.

I have installed a bottled water dispenser at my stick house, because of all the impurities in tap water that the water safety Board still allows. The mold in the water lines, the mercury levels, the chlorine, and many other issues with tap water that are proven fact.

I am able to get 5 gallon bottles of water for only $.39 a gallon at Whole Foods. That means that I know I have pure water. That means that I only pay $1.95 for 5 gallons, which is far cheaper than paying high prices for the small bottles at the store.

Some people don't care what they drink or eat, and think that healthy food and filtered water is too expensive. I understand that, but we each have a choice about our own healthy, or unhealthy, habits.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #83

Carolina Campers
Besides, if I keep this thread riled up, we may even get to 7 pages... Don't call me a "thread killer". LOL
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Water from municipal treatment plants and all public sources are required to meet or exceed EPA drinking water standards, yes we keep our onboard water system sanitized and drink water from the system. Bottled water however, does NOT have to meet the same water quality standards established by the EPA safe drinking water standards.
Drink bottled water at your own risk, the EPA does not have the same standards regulating its purity.

Bottled water, because it is defined as a “food” under federal regulations, is under the authority of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) while the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)—under much stricter standards—regulates tap water.

Depending upon the brand, bottled water may actually be less clean and safe than tap water. The EPA mandates that local water treatment plants provide city residents with a detailed account of tap water’s source and the results of any testing, including contaminant level violations. The FDA also relies on state and local authorities to assist in testing bottled water. As a result, in some areas, bottled water companies are under no such directives.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tank, water