Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't had a TT since 1988 and I don't miss any of them at all!!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #16
Tent, pop up, TT.....Loved them all for their time but times change. Class A is the way for us now.

Stephen and Barb
Sasha and Bear 1999 Dolphin 5371
F53 with 96 Grand Cherokee toad
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #17
Tiffin Owners Club
We went from a canoe and tent to a motorhome, now onto a second one. These bones could not stand to be on the ground all night any more. I'm too old (70+) to give up the convenience of MHing. The wife and I are winter Texans as we own our home in Texas and go north in the spring and return in the fall. When we owned a bus company, I thought nothing of driving 500-600 miles a day, now if we go 200 it's a big feat.
Bob (RVM 27), Teffy, Kitty Kitty, - Full timeing during the summer
"Roughing It Smoothly" in a 1994 34' Allegro Bay DP
All of 190 horses but 11 MPG. 0 TO 60 in 62 sec.
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #18
I missed my old travel trailer so much I just bought another one. One to use in state parks and places with smaller sites.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
We often look back and ask each other: “Remember when we had the Prowler?’’
It was our first TT, used, and old, but it was ours! Only 16 feet long, and when the couch was out in the bed configuration, you could not open the bathroom door. Real convenient huh?
I really believe we miss not only the trailer but a different time in our lives. We were young, raising our son and pulled that trailer all over. Looking back I’m sure there is a good reason we were young back then. Could not do it now at our present age.
We are still camping though. (Full time) after nearly 40 years. In a slightly larger and better equipped unit. LOL
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #20
When I was in boyscouts I tent camped in a tiny pup tent just big enough for two sleeping bags. Would wake up with a thick dew on the inside on those cold nights. Eventually got a bigger tent and thought how great it was to have room to get dressed and stand up.then a pop up then a class C then a gasser A to now the DP. Miss a little from each one and I do even miss the tent at times.
I miss being woke up by the increasing temp as the sun breaks the horizon in a tent. The crisp morning air. But then I take one trip where we have more rain than sun and I love the RV all over again and wonder if I really miss the tent that much.
2000 Monaco Windsor Cummins 330
greatlakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
Well after 3 years in a DP MH and 10 in a trailer, we missed it so bad we have gone back! If all goes as planned we will be back in a TT Friday. Glad I kept the Dodge Diesel and the really good hitch system.
Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Dave, I can understand how you feel! We pulled a 5er for 10 years before getting the MH last year and we loved it! In fact, we still have the 5er (it's for sale now) as we decided to keep it a while to be sure we would be happy with the MH.

We haven't had any major problems, just odds and ends that needed doing and a lot of upgrades. We do enjoy the convenience of the the MH, but find ourselves remembering the good times in the 5er.

The deciding thing for us is this: If you are just interested in local camping with an occasional long trip, then a TT or 5er is the way to go. For traveling the country seeing all the sights for long periods of time, the it's definitely the MH! JMHO!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by luvmydolphin View Post
Tent, pop up, TT.....Loved them all for their time but times change. Class A is the way for us now.
We also came from the tent group, but went to truck campers with the last one sporting a slide out. One fishing trip the DP came back from visiting others in their MH's and told me how much room they had. When she retired she couldn't quilt in the camper and insisted on a MH. So, we now have a MH, she quilts, I fish and all is well. (Didn't sell the camper, however, on shorter trips it's too convenient, easy diesel mileage (15) on a Dodge Ram and parks anywhere.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	583.4 KB
ID:	35242  
02 Fleetwood Discovery 37U, 330 Cat pulling a 2006 diesel Liberty..or..2011 4dr Wrangler..or..20' Lund Salmon/Halibut Hunter
csrrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
First thing I ever had was a Nomad. Single axel and pulled with a car. My 44 year old son was 6 when we had it. His mother and him slept on the dinnet made into a bed and I slept in an overhead bunk. (not very comfortable but better than the ground) The first night we stayed in it my son woke up his mother that next morning and said " look mome daddy sleep on a shelf I really dont miss having to hook up and unhook but it was so simple nothing much ever went wrong with it. My class a is another story. Friend of mine said "well I see you bought a motorhome. I know you are retired but with that you just went back to work" He has a 45 ft monaco and pulls a toad but he owns a large auto truck repair business and a parts store. No I don't miss the old Nomad just the simplicity.

Bob and Janice Ford
1998 Fleetwood Pace arrow 35'
Bama Fan is offline   Reply With Quote