Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Chill, my friend. I think we all have days like that. All in all we love our rig but some days it can crawl up under your skin.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #30
Can be expensive, frustrating, awesome, and wonderful! Wish I had more time to spend in the thing.
Those adjectives describe my kids too!

2008 Dynamax Dynaquest,
a good man who puts up with me, and Buck and Bull the wonderdogs.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #31
Ditto, Bucksmom, but I wouldn't want it anyway other way. Mt three year old granddaughter thinks the only way to go camping is in Poppa's motorhome.
98 Beaver Monterey, 3126 Cat
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
beachboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #32
Not the current one, though the ability to make frequent use of it is financially limited. Absolutely hated our last one - corner bed, pedestal tables, no slides, 460 engine with carb, 6 mpg on a good day at sea level. Even though we took a significant money hit, we were SO glad to get rid of it.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #33
Ford Super Duty Owner
My oldest daughter was 11 months when we bought our first camper. We raised two girls camping. No televisions in the campers until they graduated high school. We sat around campfires and talked about family and the old days. Both girls are married with their own families, but call the house three or four times a day. I believe camping had a lot to do with our families closeness.
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #34
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

Unsure if it is regret but so far it has been nothing but a money pit, and we have spent as much time in the shop than anywhere else, and so far I have gone 30 miles before breakdowns, we hope that our problem has been solved, because we really want to love it but for us to get there we must be able to go somewhere and enjoy it beforehand.

We bought her for 5 K and put more than another 5 K into her, the previous owner took it all over America and we want to be able to do the same, so we now need to test her again see if she can get somewhere and back without a break down.

We bought vintage because we love vintage, it has a new engine and transmission with just over 5K on both and those were the main selling features, so only time will tell
1965 Scad-A-Bout Teardrop Trailer-1955 Crown "Canned Ham" Trailer-1966 Aristocrat Lo-Liner-1983 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
kartvines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #35
Sounds to me that your issues are all human based and the poor coach just happened to be there and is now collateral damage.

Deep breath, pause, and tell the garage owner that this simply won't work. Either there needs to be proper access to the garage or you need to go elsewhere, and be prepared to do that.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #36
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been camping for about 20 years. We started out in a class A and our present Horizon is our 5th Class A and 1st DP. We purchased it used this past July from a reputable dealer but the previous owner did not keep service records. The coach looked beautiful on the outside as well as the inside.

After we got more familiar with the Horizon we found lots of mechanical things that needed attention. We spent more than $5,000 this summer and fall on service to get the power train up to our expectations. There were several surprises this year that caused me to wish I had never purchased this coach. Most of the good camping weather this Summer and Fall was spent in repair shops causing me to question my decision to purchase this coach.

Now we have it is good shape and we are again looking to get her out on the road this spring. We have it winterized and stored in an attached garage and I look at it daily when we run the car in and out and now I can't hardly wait for spring.

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #37
Do not regret purchases, all four times since 1989.
I do regret that the rig sits unused at times.
Hugh '09 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43'
Cummins ISL 8.9L Turbo 425hp, Spartan MM GT
Allison MD3000, '12 Jeep Wrangler
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
11 yrs and 2 dp's the only thing we regret is not getting out of the boat zone earlier. we spend about 200 days a yr. now and we both are looking forward to 365. jimsue
Jim & Sue
06 Patriot Thunder / 2011 Jeep Overland
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #39
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
Had an RV since 1974. Kids were small and continue to enjoy camping. The only regret is having to put it in the shed after enjoying some travel.
Glad you could join us, I've been RV'ing since 1958.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Our only real regret is buying new instead of used. We'd never owned an RV of any kind and following retirement jumped right in to a brand new 40 DP. After looking for only a short time, I convinced myself that I could only get 7' ceilings in a new rig. I'm 6'6" tall and would not tolerate banging my head on stuff in my own coach.

I should have been more patient and looked for a later model, used, which still had high ceilings. But, it is what it is and we're glad we're here! I just wish "here" wasn't so deep under water.

Don't look back. There's a lot of fun in front of you.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #41

Heartland RV Club
We had a driveway built in our front yard for the coach, the first time I drove her home it sank up to the axles. That's what happens when you take the low bid. Had to pay someone else to dig up the gravel and pack it with road foundation .

Talk about an expensive and stressful couple of weeks

Now we just laugh about it while drinking adult beverages around the campfire.

No lives were lost ....
Wayne and Debbie
2014 Gateway 3650BH
2008 F350 dually diesel .
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #42
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We have no regrets about our 3rd RV and enjoy traveling in it. In fact it has been to Alaska and back plus all of the lower states except HAWAII as we can't drive it there.
Sure there may be problems that have to be addressed and repaired in fact I have 2 shades that have to be strung but it is the only way to travel.
It is parked next to my garage and plugged in 24/7 to shore power. We go out to it quite often to get something or just to check it out. Once a month I run the Genny and operate the jacks and wish we were traveling in it.
Deal with the few problems you have and take time to smell the roses.

2014 Winnebago Adventurer 35P,Ford F-53, V-10
2011 Ford Escape,2000 Roadmaster Tow Dolly
"Have a Great Day, Enjoy RVing."
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote