Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
We bought her for 5 K and put more than another 5 K into her, the previous owner took it all over America and we want to be able to do the same, so we now need to test her again see if she can get somewhere and back without a break down.

We bought vintage because we love vintage, it has a new engine and transmission with just over 5K on both and those were the main selling features, so only time will tell
hmmm the problem with "older" homes is they just dont give me the confidence I need to drive anywhere distant. Not sure what you spent $5k on...but I had $3800 in parts and about 50hrs of my own labor in my 1998 model allegro to get it worthy of driving. It made an amazing difference in handling and power.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #44

Forest River Owners Club
[moderator edit] We're on our 5th motorhome and although have had times when they have tried our patience (too many stories of gloom & doom to tell here), we wouldn't trade our experiences in our RVs for anything. Hope you enjoy brighter RV days ahead.
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback and for what it is worth like many other I could not afford a newer model without going deep into debt. Before I bought the 83 Pace Arrow I read many posts of those who loved and trusted this year and model. Most of the money I invested after purchase was refreshing the interior and then to insure that the drive chain was in good shape. We have not give up yet, so we hope moving forward will give us the confidence that she is usable.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #46

No regrets except for cant use it enough
I do all my own repairs...now if I was not mechanically inclined(thanks dad)...the ONLY way I would own an RV is if I was extremely comfortable with my income. So many who buy can not do for themselves...and are upside down in repair costs.
sc3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #47

On our 5th and prob last rv over 25 years.( 06 travel supreme 45ft.). Never bought a new one.ONLY regret is not able to use it often enough. Retirement in 4 years will solve that issue.
DARRELL1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Not the current one, though the ability to make frequent use of it is financially limited. Absolutely hated our last one - corner bed, pedestal tables, no slides, 460 engine with carb, 6 mpg on a good day at sea level. Even though we took a significant money hit, we were SO glad to get rid of it.
I have a 96 Damon with the 460 Ford engine EFI gets 8 mpg. Dont like the gas mileage but we all wish for more. The 460 has been an outstanding engine It has 37,000 mi on it and runs like new. Wish I had a diesel but we only put about 4-5 thousand miles on it per year. So a diesel and all the expenses of buying and maintaning one wouldnt make sense for us. Sometimes I just go out and sit in it. (man cave you know)
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
no regrets

i absolutely love the rv lifestyle. bought my first rig when my girls were 4 and 6 months. now that they are 12 and 9 i'm proud to say that they have never spent a night in a hotel room. the good times we have had way way way overcome any mishaps along the way. the only regret i have is that i can't use it as much as i would like. just love going to it everyday and thinking of what i'm gonna do to it next. great post guys!
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #50

No i do not regret buying a motorhome at all, because the way i see it is i bought the lifestyle. Yes, the motorhome will have problems, but there is not a perfect motorhome out there..not one. Things will ALWAYS break, but you can never break the memories and good times that come with the lifestyle
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My only regret is its 4 inches to tall to fit in my 50' x 50' shop which means I had to winterize it! Now I have to wait till the end of March before we can use it!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmpncrsaider View Post
My only regret is its 4 inches to tall to fit in my 50' x 50' shop which means I had to winterize it! Now I have to wait till the end of March before we can use it!
I had some customers with diesel pushers who had air suspension and could let all the air out of the air suspension and get in their shops. Do you have air suspension? Do you think this could work for you? Just a thought.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thats funny you said this, 4" is with MH deflated. Also although I'm not sure but I think when you put it in gear to move it may inflate automatically! Ouch!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

The only "regret" we've had was right after signing the purchase agreement and the days before we took delivery. It was that panicked "what have we done?" thing. We had never owned an RV, so spending that much $$ on an unknown was nerve racking. We've only owned it for three months, so there will be plenty of time for other regrets, lol.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #55

We have only had ours a year. The only regret I had was not getting the extended warranty. 6 months later and after our first trip I took the coach in for an exhaust leak. Cracked head, turbo, and exhaust manifold. I never expected an engine issue on a 66k mile diesel.

Even with that problem, we have enjoyed every moment in the coach. More quality time, no airport stress, and best of all I know who slept in my bed last.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #56

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pretty much grew up around RV's, parents rented one in 1957. Ordered a new one in 1958. They had so many problems with it as it was overweight a regularly blew tires. I learned a lot during that time. When I was 21 I got my first TT, a used 16' something or other. Tried towing it with a '67 Camaro 4 speed. Since then I've never been without an RV. My one regret is the '98 Santara Type A MH that literally fell apart every time we took it out. In two years I repaired more doors, latches and hinges in it than in all my other rigs combined!
Now that I retired in 1998 and am 65 (yesterday) we're raising one grandchild and my wife's health isn't good. The worry now is health insurance and time so we can get away before our age catches up with us.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome