Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
I'll be the one to offer a possible snag in leaving it plugged in. You need to check your 12v converter and make sure it is a three stage type. Some of the older coaches came with a single stage converter that puts out full power all the time. Our friends had Coachmen motor home with a single stage converter they left plugged in. They came back to their storage area to find it had boiled the batteries dry and burned out the converter in the process. They also had food stored in their Dometic fridge, which became a very stinky mess.

Bottom line, if your converter goes to a "float charge" after the batteries reach full charge, then you will probably be okay. As others said, just check the water levels periodically.

'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've found that my single solar panel does an adequate job of maintaining the batteries without ever having to plug in. If you use the engine coolant heater, don't forget to switch it off or unplug it. The two weeks that I forgot about it caused the highest electric bill I've ever had.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Okay then, we'll leave it plugged in. It's nice to be able to use all the systems when its sitting in the drive way. We have a water line about 50' away so I'm going to extend it so we can connect city water while parked. I wish the septic tank wasn't 150' away or I'd put a waste station there too.
20 years ago, shortly after we built our house, I ran a line for a waste dump station over near my driveway, for my grandmother's Class C. She used to come visit for a couple weeks at a time. I never dreamed that I would be needing it 20 years later. It will pay for itself, if it is logistically feasible to do so.

I also installed a 30A plug on the outside of the garage during construction, for her. I used it until I built the RV carport and installed the 50A pedestal. It would have been acceptable, but it was too far away and required an extension cord.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #18

I do not have the need to plug in all the time since I have solar on the top and it keeps my batteries at a 100% charge all the time. However, without solar and if you have a modern coach, keeping it plugged in is really the best thing to do as long as you check battery water now and then as mentioned.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:33 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Plugging RV in will cause a higher electric bill, so that could be a downside I guess.....
Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I installed a 50 amp RV outlet next to our parking place and have had the coach plugged in for a day. Do you leave it plugged in all the time? Is there any downside to doing that?
I'm reminded of the old underware joke,, They ask "Boxers or Briefs" and the seniors said "Depends"

Damon put a Progressive Dynamics Intellapower 9180 with wizard in my Intruder back in 2005.. Since then I have been trying to find a better converter... without success. The PDI Wizard controlled units are tops.. NOW, the top is shared with a few others but they are still in the top band.

So I keep my RV plugged in, I did that when I was a part timer, and I do it now full time.

On the other hadn some older models had Magnetek 6300 battery killers.. and leaving those plugged in full time... NOt a good idea.

(Pardon me while I get sick, Political ad on tv) (My political post of the day)

Ad gone, recovering now. There are many converters in between but the answer to your question depends on the converter. Most decent 3 stage (Which is the largest group) I'd leve it plugged.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I'm reminded of the old underware joke,, They ask "Boxers or Briefs" and the seniors said "Depends"

Damon put a Progressive Dynamics Intellapower 9180 with wizard in my Intruder back in 2005.. Since then I have been trying to find a better converter... without success. The PDI Wizard controlled units are tops.. NOW, the top is shared with a few others but they are still in the top band.

So I keep my RV plugged in, I did that when I was a part timer, and I do it now full time.

On the other hadn some older models had Magnetek 6300 battery killers.. and leaving those plugged in full time... NOt a good idea.

(Pardon me while I get sick, Political ad on tv) (My political post of the day)

Ad gone, recovering now. There are many converters in between but the answer to your question depends on the converter. Most decent 3 stage (Which is the largest group) I'd leve it plugged.
I agree, my coach had a Magnum Inverter/Converter and was replaced buy the previous owner with an Intelitec 9200 that works flawlessly.
When I first looked at the coach before purchase, I had concerns about not having an inverter but, in the six years I have owned it, it have not missed it at all.
I am plugged in in my garage 24/7 unless we are traveling. Check the water level every 3 months or so.

I also agree the adds are nauseating.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM   #22

Plugged in 24/7/365.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Plugged in 24/7/365 with small dehumidifiers/lines blown out/small electric heaters
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Same here.

Downside is, like most people said, you have to keep an eye on your house battery water levels as they tend to use water when plugged in and charging.
Or you could put mineral oil in each cell. Cuts the offgassing and water use WAY down. Last rig we had I did that to in 2004 and changed the still decent batteries out in 2014.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #25

I have a 30amp outlet on my house pad, the MH is plugged in 24/7 when we are not traveling, using and adaptor plug. I keep a low wattage (13watt) lamp plugged in 24/7, visible from through the window, so I can see the light every time I enter or exit my house. Should the cord become disconnect the MH switches to inverter, if the batteries then drop the light goes out and I can check my connections before the food in the frig gets hot.
Yes, it has disconnected a few times over many years...a meter reader steps on the cord, while washing the motorhome the cord loosens, whatever.
Happy Trails.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #26

FWIW I think the majoirity of lower end units do not have 3 stage converters as they are under $100,000 or so new. Those do not do well plugged in all the time. OTOH if the list price was over $250,000 or so I would expect a 3 stage with float and no problem. In between one had better figure out what they have. At least one clue is probably how much information one gets off the indicator panel. If you have 4 idiot lights it's probably a single stage. If it reads the voltage and tells you it may also be doing something with the information.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Leave mine plugged in battery's disconnected. Electric heater set at 42deg.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Same here.

Downside is, like most people said, you have to keep an eye on your house battery water levels as they tend to use water when plugged in and charging.

Yup, plugged in 24/7, but I added a tablespoon of mineral oil to each cell, no topping required, ever.