Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Between trips, or when away from the coach overnight, we turn it off. Afraid that someday a pipe will let go and I'll eventually find all of the water from my freshwater tank sitting in the hallway. Paranoia, right? \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When asleep or away I turn the water pump off. I also turn off the water at the outside valve when away. An RV is like having a house with a constant earthquake. Things will come apart. Read to many stories about having a waterfall coming down the front steps.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #17

If you've a tight system - no leaks - leaving it on would not hurt.

But, we turn it off if we leave the coach for any length of time.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Be sure to turn the pump off when you go to bed.

I don't know about you but if your water pump is under your bed it would be a good idei to turn it off when you go to bed, because in the middle of the night if one of you get up to use the tolite and if its flushed it's a good bet that the pump will wake up your partner who may be asleep.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When boon docking, I try to turn off the water when not in use. A water line breaking is probably one of an RVer's biggest fears. I try to turn off the water to coach when we're going to be away, especially if the pressure is high.

Last year while at Quartzsite, we were watching TV and heard a bang, a plastic valve on the back of our Thetford Aria toilet let and quickly started flooding the coach. Luckily we were there.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
we have 2 water pumps. both are off when we leave coach
we run off the water tank, and never campground.
120 gallons of fresh water
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:46 AM   #21

We leave ours on except when leaving the coach.

For those of you that are religious about turning it off after use, what about when hooked to a campground spigot? Do you go outside and turn it off too after every use?

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Makes no sense to me to shut it off, if using the RV. There have been times, over the years and RVs, where the pump did cycle - that alerted me to look for and find a leak. If there's a leak it's probably not just leaking when the pump is on.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #23

Off when in motion

When motoring down the hiway or if we are not there the switch is in the off position. Probably just paroniod, but a rough bumpy road and a water line coming apart while moving along at 65mph, in trafic, is the reason for my thinking off is better till we stop. Always have bottled water in the frig for us to drink and a gallon jug by the toilet for the over the road flush. Easy to turn it on when we stop and off before we get going again.

Just Another Old Doggy, Don
OldDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #24

We leave ours on when we are at the campsite, nothing worse than setting on the toilet and realizing you forgot to turn it on. When we first got the coach we had to turn it off because anytime you moved around it would turn on, turns out we had a water leak in the water heater.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
We usually turn ours off when not in use if we are on the move. We have switches at each location and the pump is located near the back of the coach, so we might not hear it if it was cycling on and off because of a leak. No need to keep the system pressurized while on a bumpy road.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
We try to turn our off when travelling. No way we would hear it running if a line or connection broke. It is not the loss of water but the mess the water could potentially make.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don and Barb View Post
We leave ours on when we are at the campsite, nothing worse than setting on the toilet and realizing you forgot to turn it on. When we first got the coach we had to turn it off because anytime you moved around it would turn on, turns out we had a water leak in the water heater.
Yep, the pump is your friend when used properly. It is a positive leak detector.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #28

Got to keep it on, must keep the ice maker going so I can have a cold beverage once I get where I'm going.
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump