Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooom View Post
We often stayed at the now-closed Okefenokee campground just north of the FL border off Rte's 301 & 1 in GA. This lovely (& Passport America) place was graced by two sets of double RR tracks on both the north & south side of the CG that "enlightened & entertained" the campers to the tune of 40+ freighters EVERY DAY INCLUDING WEEKENDS & HOLIDAYS.

Wot sweet music to our ears to lull us off to sleep -- whilst the RVing newcomers to the place just pi$$ed & moaned about all that noise....

I guess they finally won out -- the campground closed forever in 2008. What a shame to camping in rural America!
Dang shame. I would have loved it!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
It seems that every Good Sam's approved campground has trains nearby.
Yeah! Aint it great?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #73

Foretravel Owners Club
Me, I much perfer trains to the over whelming Pig [moderator edit] smell, just try it,
I was raised on a farm in Western Pa, I know the difference between the two, you get used to trains, you never get used to pig [moderator edit] smell.
MHO
Dave M
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
As long as the tracks are not next to the campground and trains dont come every half hour I can get used to them. The horn blasts are part of the equation... We have windeup chime clocks all over the stick & brick house and I got used to them, so trains are no problem.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #75

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Utah Phillips has a CD called "It's good Though" check out the title track.

I grew up oh, perhaps 4 miles from the track,,And later worked oh, 40 feet from the tracks.

I have taken a number of rides on Trains, as has my Daughter, inluding a few where the consist was pulled by not Diesel-letrics but by STEAM engines. (My daughter is in her early 30's) YES STEAM. Sadly that is gettin hard to do on main lines (you can still do it in a few places but it's loop trains, like the Grand Canyon line, sometimes called the Polar Express since that is the train the movie train was modeled on)

Heck, I even known what to do when one of my fellow travelers gets a cinder in his eye (Pick up my radio and call for the MEDIC in case there are any medical pros here who think I'm going to try to treat them myself).

There is nothing quite lke the sound of a train in the distance.. It truly takes me back to my childhood, and thus is something to be enjoied.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #76

I am reminded of an incident from my (distant) past. There is a campground along the Youghiogheny river in western PA. A train track ran along a ridge line just above the camp ground.

One afternoon, a train derailed, and several cars tipped over and slid into the campground. A few split open and spewed their loads around the area. You should have seen the sight when the local kids discovered an entire box car load of gummie bears spread over 1/2 acre. They were arriving with wheelbarrows.

I think some nutritionists might refer to this as a hazardous waste spill.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I am reminded of an incident from my (distant) past. There is a campground along the Youghiogheny river in western PA. A train track ran along a ridge line just above the camp ground.

One afternoon, a train derailed, and several cars tipped over and slid into the campground. A few split open and spewed their loads around the area. You should have seen the sight when the local kids discovered an entire box car load of gummie bears spread over 1/2 acre. They were arriving with wheelbarrows.

I think some nutritionists might refer to this as a hazardous waste spill.

Joel
:Thumb:

Old 12-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Utah Phillips has a CD called "It's good Though" check out the title track.

I grew up oh, perhaps 4 miles from the track,,And later worked oh, 40 feet from the tracks.

I have taken a number of rides on Trains, as has my Daughter, inluding a few where the consist was pulled by not Diesel-letrics but by STEAM engines. (My daughter is in her early 30's) YES STEAM. Sadly that is gettin hard to do on main lines (you can still do it in a few places but it's loop trains, like the Grand Canyon line, sometimes called the Polar Express since that is the train the movie train was modeled on)

Heck, I even known what to do when one of my fellow travelers gets a cinder in his eye (Pick up my radio and call for the MEDIC in case there are any medical pros here who think I'm going to try to treat them myself).

There is nothing quite lke the sound of a train in the distance.. It truly takes me back to my childhood, and thus is something to be enjoied.
:Thumb:

Old 05-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #79

Georgetown, KY.
Wispering Hills, CG
The trains are about 1/2 mile off, but it is so pleasant to hear their song.

Got trains near you?

Dave
RVM1

Old 05-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #80

Rusk, TX, has the Texas State Railroad historic steam train with 25-mi rides from Rusk to Palestine and back. Trains don't run at night, though.

We skipped the Durango-Silverton ride in CO a couple of years ago due to time constraints and DH has not let me hear the end of it yet. Still on the bucket list.
4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post
Rusk, TX, has the Texas State Railroad historic steam train with 25-mi rides from Rusk to Palestine and back. Trains don't run at night, though.

We skipped the Durango-Silverton ride in CO a couple of years ago due to time constraints and DH has not let me hear the end of it yet. Still on the bucket list.
Bad Michelle, bad bad bad!

Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I was reminded a few days ago by my son of trips we would do in our home town. The Algoma central ran right in front of our house and we would train watch daily. The ACR had a bunch of old vans (Cabooses or is it cabeese) that one could rent to use as a hunting or fishing lodge.

Our family loved renting these and spending time fishing miles from the competition. The rented caboose would be set out on a siding near where you wanted to be and to say there were trains is a complete understatement. They also passed way too close for easy sleeping.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids View Post

OH NO!!!
Now I have 2 more on MY list!!

Old 05-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post

OH NO!!!
Now I have 2 more on MY list!!
I don't wanna ever run out of Bucket List items; what would there be to live for? Keep on adding!

4kids is offline   Reply With Quote