Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
No. I have a team of Peruvian dwarfs that come over once a week to hand wash it with Indian Ocean sea sponges. They use all natural barcota soap we have milled for us in Alaska. Then they lightly hand polish the alloy wheels with Schnauzer-skin mitts, and finish with applying a soothing tire balm that Michelin makes for us in small batches.

It's the little touches that count...
I use a team of Peruvian Nymph's using the same process.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While it is possible to pressure wash an RV you have to use a lot of care, as people have said you can remove details (Tape, decals, etc) force water through seals, and since a good pressure can etch concrete (I know, I've done it) imagine what it can do to your roof (Peal like a banana)

LOW PRESSURE is how I do it (less than 100 PSI)

Old 08-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #17

I don't but the Blue Beacon boys do!!! I would certainly use one on the roof but avoid the higher pressure spray near any of the roof openings. You just have to use some common sense. Don't over do it. Back off, spread out the fan spray and use it to wet and rinse your coach. Washing is handled by brushes, sponges, clothes, dipped in soapy water. You can use the pressure sprayer to keep your engine and radiator clean as well but you can use too much pressure so be sure to start out with a wide spray several feet away from the target. You can then watch the result as you get closer or narrow the spray. As long as you are not careless you will have excellent results.
We have actually been in a few campground which required that you use a pressure washer if you were going to wash your coach due to the greatly reduced volume of water required to handle the task.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #18

Pressure wash if you must, but not me. To much thin plastic, rubber seals, and calking for high pressure water. The old brush and bucket with the right soap get's it done.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
My rolling garage has a Karcher gas powered pressure washer which I have used both on the coach roof and sides many times. Does a great job but common sense must prevail otherwise you can do some real damage.

If you have ever stopped at a Truck Wash while on the road, that's all they use. I have had numerous professional detailer's clean and wax my coach several times in the past and that's all they use too.

If you don't know what you are doing when using the tool, then don't use it. Otherwise, they are very useful and it does a great job!

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My rolling garage has a Karcher gas powered pressure washer which I have used both on the coach roof and sides many times. Does a great job but common sense must prevail otherwise you can do some real damage.

If you have ever stopped at a Truck Wash while on the road, that's all they use. I have had numerous professional detailer's clean and wax my coach several times in the past and that's all they use too.

If you don't know what you are doing when using the tool, then don't use it. Otherwise, they are very useful and it does a great job!

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
what size tip do you use ? i have just bought a extend a wand for the house worked great im sure it will wok great here too
but im curious on the tip ? thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some funny answers here!!
Quote:
it is no harder pressure than normal city water
If that's so why not skip using the gas/electricity and adding to the air pollution and just use a hose with a good nozzle? Also saves the "work" of getting the washer out, hooking it up, etc.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some funny answers here!!
If that's so why not skip using the gas/electricity and adding to the air pollution and just use a hose with a good nozzle? Also saves the "work" of getting the washer out, hooking it up, etc.
This is directed to Mr_D

Because

1. I want to use it :-)
2. Allows me to have the soap injected in the stream of water
3. Does provide me better control of the pressure
4. Because I live in the country and my well pump does NOT put out what is "normal city pressure"
5. Because I WANT TO...

Now, what is funny about my previous statement and why make fun of it?

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I was going to say, "Why use a pressure washer?" Until I read TexNet's post.

And then I was going to say "What can a pressure washer do that hand washing can't do?", that was answered also.

I have a pressure washer which I would never use on something like a motorhome, but I did...

I did it because others have said that they work so great, and because it was new and I didn't have anything else to pressure wash. So I went ahead and proved it to myself that it's a dangerous waste of time. I was careful and used the low pressure head with soap, and was cautious around the decals.

When I was done I had to do it all over again by hand. I thought that it would work well on the tires and wheels; it didn't as I found out. After they dried I could see a dirt film on the SS wheel covers, and the tires were not nice and black as they are when I scrub them with a stiff brush and soapy water. So I re-washed them by hand.

The dirt film that the pressure washer didn't remove needed to be rubbed to remove it. A blast of soapy, aerated water just wasn't enough. I had thought of trying to get the washer up on the roof to see why people think using a pressure washer on the roof is such a great idea, but decided that getting up on the roof was way too much of a trouble. It's a problem enough dragging a hose up there.

In the end I proved to myself that a pressure washer isn't as good as hand washing. All it seems to do is to blow out the larger chunks, but leaves a thin film of dirt that needs to be rubbed. I'm sure someone will tell me that it works great for them, but that won't convince me to use one.

Personally, I think that guys think pressure washers are great because they think its fun to use them (big boy's toys...). I got mine to blast the deck before I re-stain, and to blast the loose paint of the side of the house prior to painting, but not to wash the car or the motorhome, AND NEVER, NEVER TO USE ON A RADIATOR!
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Not just no but Hell NO!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post

What size tip do you use ? i have just bought a extend a wand for the house worked great im sure it will wok great here too
but im curious on the tip ? thanks
The washer came with 5 different colored tips. I primarily use the White tip for everything however always making sure how close the tip gets to the surface. The roof is done with the tip only a few inches from the surface and removes almost all of the dirt and oxidation. Some places I still need a stiff brush. The sides are done with the tip a few feet away. The only other tip I have used is the black one which uses basically very little pressure behind it.

For those that don't understand pressure washers, they aren't used SOLELY to clean & remove everything from the surface. You need to use SOAP and a long handled brush in conjunction with the washer. They are great for cleaning wheel wells, frame members, steel superstructure, engines, mun flaps, etc. They also do a fantastic job cleaning my exterior window Solar Sun Screens & the interior window & door screens. Oh, by the way, I do use mine on my radiators without any damage to the fins. It only takes a little common sense when using this tool, but not everyone has been Blessed with that I guess.

One of the biggest advantages of using a pressure washer is that it uses LESS water than a hose. If you have ever traveled in Florida, most RV parks will NOT allow any washing of your RV. They only allow a certain vendor to come in and wash your RV. They bring their own soft water and ALWAYS have a pressure washer. You won't find them using a water pump and hose.

Again, it is a VERY useful tool when put into the right hands who completely understand how to use it properly. When used by individuals who don't have a clue, that's when damage occurs.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been using a pressure washer for over 25 years on car, truck and RV. I don't understand what all the fear is about. Common sense and lower pressure tips will work just fine.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Been using a pressure washer for over 25 years on car, truck and RV. I don't understand what all the fear is about. Common sense and lower pressure tips will work just fine.
what lower pressure tips ? what color ? thanks
Old 08-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
what lower pressure tips ? what color ? thanks
It depends on the manufacturer. Not all tips are interchangable from one to another. I have four wands that can be changed for different applications and can control pressure up to 1800 psi.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote