Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #1

I have avoided using most of the Flying J stations since the RV lanes are often crowded and very tight for a 40' coach with toad. I have used the truck lanes at other truck stops with no problem (fill, pull forward to pay). I wondered if any of you have used the Flying J truck lanes?

Thanks!

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #2

I have avoided using most of the Flying J stations since the RV lanes are often crowded and very tight for a 40' coach with toad. I have used the truck lanes at other truck stops with no problem (fill, pull forward to pay). I wondered if any of you have used the Flying J truck lanes?

Thanks!

2020 Fleetwood Discovery 40M
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've never had a problem while using the FJ truck lanes to fuel. Just fuel up and move your rig forward before you go to the fuel desk to pay.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found this online:

"Commercial diesel in Arizona is $.08 per gallon more than consumer diesel.

If you fill up at the auto pumps, you'll automatically get the consumer diesel rate. If you fill up at the commercial pumps, you need to tell them that you are a private vehicle in order to get the $.08 taken off the price."

Not sure what other states may have regulations like this

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 04:13 PM   #5

We'll use the RV island if it's empty as it's a shorter walk for Miss Sue to go and pay but usually have to use the truck lanes. Yeah it's slower with the smaller nozzle but gives me time to walk around, check the toad, etc. and is usually cleaner(spilled diesel on the ground) than the truck islands except in Orange Tx.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I'll fill up at the truck lanes when the RV island is backed up. Prefer the RV islands because the truck lanes require a wait inside to get a receipt.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I never used anything other than the Flying J truck lanes.

If your receipt is on the carousel, just sign it and leave the last page. No waiting required.

I know one guy who never bothers with receipt.

He pays by credit card at the truck pump, and just drives off when finished.

No problems.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #8

On this trip from Canada to Florida on I-75 I have had no problem at the RV pump.

However I found out after waiting in the Truck line that Flying J will not take Visa at the Truck pumps.

At the the Pilot no problem with the Truck Lane and paid with Visa.

Rick
Old 03-24-2008, 04:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I use only the truck lanes. The process is fast and efficient. Because of my total length of 65 feet, a J VP recommend I use the truck lanes.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:54 AM   #10

Some time ago there were messages posted that Flying J was having problems negiotating with Visa as to the rate they get at the truck pumps, hence the no visa at the truck pumps. Ok at the RV/car pumps. We try to use Flying J exclusively for fuel, but generally stay away from the truck pumps unless they accept Conoco/Phillips cards. I prefer to use my Conoco/Phillips card for fuel and will use the truck lanes where I can use that card.

Robb & Sue Steinheider
03 Ultimate Advantage
02 Saturn Toad
Duncan the Dalmation
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:59 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I too only use the truck lane. There's a lot more room for a 40 footer, easy in and out. You do have to make a fast scan of price differences. I was only caught once where I filled up at the truck island and then noticed the RV island was a few pennies cheaper and they wouldn't adjust it at the truck pumps either.

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We no longer use the RV lanes at Flying J. They are slow but the worst is that you need a shoehorn to squeeze your rig into there. With a smaller RV that's fine but we had way to many issues with our 40' Bus trying to get in and out. The truck lanes are fine, faster, and never had any problems. I did pickup a MasterCard to use instead of my VISA because of their recent change, but other than that - no problems.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #13

We only use the truck pumps.

@ FJ we just run our FL card through first and id it as cash. Whenthe DW goes in to pay its by CC -- you get the cash price and if in AZ the consumer price.

@ others we go in BEFORE running the pump to let them know we're a private coach -- both for the CC and esp in AZ.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I have used both...but I usually use the RV island...while some are a bit tight with my 40' and toad, I have been able to squeeze in. It's not the tight fit, but the angle you come in at...for instance, in Kingman, AZ the RV lane couldn't be put at a worse approach angle...
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote