Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #1

Do you wait til the last min to check-out?

We have always left our site on the day of check out early. We get up eat, pack up and leave hours early. We are currently siting in a parking lot waiting for our site to open. It is 2:45 check out is 3:00 and we have been waiting for two hours. The park is basically empty except for the spot we reserved. Granted it is the best spot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlan1112 View Post
We have always left our site on the day of check out early. We get up eat, pack up and leave hours early. We are currently siting in a parking lot waiting for our site to open. It is 2:45 check out is 3:00 and we have been waiting for two hours. The park is basically empty except for the spot we reserved. Granted it is the best spot.
What is check in time? It is probably sometime after 3:00 I would imagine.

I guess it depends: if it is a really nice day and there is something I really want to do at the campground before heading home, I will stay till I have to leave. If I need to get home for whatever reason, I will leave early. Typically I check in late due to having to work till after 5, so I stay till I have to leave. I guess I might be likely to hurry up if someone was waiting on the spot, but not everyone is as nice as me. They have the right to stay there right up to the posted departure time, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
"Legally", the occupant has the right to stay until the check-out time. However, I have been guilty on a few occasions to depart after "the whistle has blown" so to speak. I don't do it intentionally, and I plan enough time, but unavoidable things do happen sometimes when breaking camp. Something breaks, malfunctions, an unexpected illness and anything you can dream up in your wildest imagination can all happen.

I try to be understanding of this, and as long as the current occupant is "making progress" in vacating, I'll be patient.

One time I did have to get a park ranger involved, though. The check-out time was 4:00 PM and I waited until 4:30 for the occupant to vacate. When I saw them putting more wood on the campfire and not a single piece of equipment had been removed, I went to the park office and complained. The ranger promptly went to the campsite and they were out of there about 20 minutes later.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We usually have nothing pressing, but just seems like if you have to leave, get up, get ready and leave.... But, maybe if we had children and there were entertainments for them, we'd stay a little longer.

JoAnn
Old 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I'm the site occupant, I paid for my site & I won't leave until check out. As Frank mentioned, sometimes things happen that can delay leaving after check out, but we do our best not to do that & as long as another RV isn't waiting on us, I try to leave as close to check out as possible. The campground has the responsibility to enforce check in/check out times.

I try not to arrive before check in. However, if I get a tailwind & am arriving prior to check in, I call the campground/ranger station & inquire if my site is open. If it is & they'll let me on it, fine..more time for me at my site. If not, I'll find somewhere else to bide my time or wait in the parking lot until it is check in time.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We typically stay to the end, but we are always prepared to pull out.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If I'm the site occupant, I paid for my site & I won't leave until check out. As Frank mentioned, sometimes things happen that can delay leaving after check out, but we do our best not to do that & as long as another RV isn't waiting on us, I try to leave as close to check out as possible. The campground has the responsibility to enforce check in/check out times.

I try not to arrive before check in. However, if I get a tailwind & am arriving prior to check in, I call the campground/ranger station & inquire if my site is open. If it is & they'll let me on it, fine..more time for me at my site. If not, I'll find somewhere else to bide my time or wait in the parking lot until it is check in time.

Lori-
I was all packed ready to leave and my rear air bags wouldn't inflate. Took me a little while under the rig to get them up. Wasn't real late but I couldn't move very far or fast till it was fixed.
I'm usually gone or starting to move when checkout time comes.
Our favorite park has a 12:00 checkout (awfully early if you ask me but it's their park so their rules) and a 1:00 check in time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
"Legally", the occupant has the right to stay until the check-out time. However, I have been guilty on a few occasions to depart after "the whistle has blown" so to speak. I don't do it intentionally, and I plan enough time, but unavoidable things do happen sometimes when breaking camp. Something breaks, malfunctions, an unexpected illness and anything you can dream up in your wildest imagination can all happen.

I try to be understanding of this, and as long as the current occupant is "making progress" in vacating, I'll be patient.

One time I did have to get a park ranger involved, though. The check-out time was 4:00 PM and I waited until 4:30 for the occupant to vacate. When I saw them putting more wood on the campfire and not a single piece of equipment had been removed, I went to the park office and complained. The ranger promptly went to the campsite and they were out of there about 20 minutes later.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #9

I am always right at check out time.

Better than the moron who was "checking out" across from us at 6:00 one morning this year. I almost went over and checked him out permanently.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

Like Mr D the campsites I visit have 1-3 hour gaps between check in and check out time so the staff can groom the spot and tempers do not flare.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #11

Kinda depends on where I'm headed next, and how long is it gonna take to get there.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Depends on the next stop for me. If it takes just a few hours to get there then I may stay till the timer expires. Then again your in an RV what's the hurry!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Kinda depends on where I'm headed next, and how long is it gonna take to get there.
YUP !!

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupcamping View Post
I am always right at check out time.

Better than the moron who was "checking out" across from us at 6:00 one morning this year. I almost went over and checked him out permanently.
We've never left quite that early, but several times we have been underway by 7 am. You don't know why that person left so early, but as long as he didn't idle his diesel too long he didn't really do anything wrong IMHO.

docj is online now   Reply With Quote