Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

Does all furniture need to be anchored down in your coach?

If you put a lounge chair or heavy entertainment center in your motorhome, do they both need to be tied down? I see people have put in their own chairs and couches, and was wondering if they simply set them in there or do something else to them so they cannot move.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

I would definitely bolt it or tie it down. Anything loose inside the coach is a projectile during an emergency maneuver.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I learned too much in my physics courses in college NOT to bolt 'em down. Even the smallest thing will become a missile in an emergency stop.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
I learned too much in my physics courses in college NOT to bolt 'em down. Even the smallest thing will become a missile in an emergency stop.
Not sure I follow you. Are you saying that because of your physics courses you've come to the conclusion that it's better not to bolt furniture down inside a motorhome? I'm sorry, I could be reading it wrong.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #5

I have 2 recliners and 2 dinette chairs that are not secured. Rig was ordered that way. They have never moved a bit while traveling, and are designed to be moved throughout the center of the livingroom.

They would all need to go forward through the table and fridge to get us.

If we had passengers (2) they would be on the couch and not in the way of any projectiles.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

Maybe if it was just me and DW. I'd hate to see a heavy couch or something crush one of the kids because some idiot pulled out in front of us. I guess it will also depend on the layout. On ours everything is bolted down and secured including the kids.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
It's easy to secure furniture with a couple of "L" brackets screwed to the plywood floor of the MH. I removed a flex steel couch that was installed that way and replaced it with a computer desk that I attached with a couple of brass "L" brackets and brass wood screws. It held for 10 years before selling the MH.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #8

Are the couches in MHs bolted down when they are sold at the dealer?

What about you bedding, loose pillows, etc?

I suppose everyday when you drive another couple hundred miles down the highway on a trip you put all your nick-nacks and decorative items away, and then take them out again when you settle down for the aftrernoon/evening.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post

I suppose everyday when you drive another couple hundred miles down the highway on a trip you put all your nick-nacks and decorative items away, and then take them out again when you settle down for the aftrernoon/evening.
We have a sleeper sofa that is bolted down. The dining table is also bolted down. Actually, everything is bolted down in our coach including the euro recliner that came with it.

Not worried about bedding and pillows. Really?

And yes, we put everything up so that things don't fall off of countertops, etc. every time we get ready to go.

I must have a different type of coach because if you were to leave things unsecured, they would definitely fall off during normal driving. We've had some close calls with tuckers coming into our lane and I'm glad things were secured. Or maybe I'm a twitchy driver
Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Yes, sofas are usually bolted down in a new RV. We replaced a FlexSteel sofa in our Bounder with a La-z-boy full reclining sofa and did not bolt it down. It sits between a wall and the dinette, so it's not going anyplace.

Bedding and pillows would not be dangerous projectiles, so I never give them a thought.

Knick-knacks are left stowed until we get to our final destination; they are not unpacked for typical overnight stops.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We had the contents of a knife storage block go flying once. It gets put away now.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:09 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
Not sure I follow you. Are you saying that because of your physics courses you've come to the conclusion that it's better not to bolt furniture down inside a motorhome? I'm sorry, I could be reading it wrong.
I believe he is stating he is for securing furniture while traveling.

Quote:

My couch and chairs have factory installed securements and they are used.

Bedding and pillows are behind two doors in another room when traveling.

Coffee pot, toaster, etc, are secured in a cabinet while traveling and smaller knick knacks are stored in towel lined sinks as well as the a fore mentioned coffee pot for shorter trips.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I believe he is stating he is for securing furniture while traveling.
Makes sense. It was the NOT that threw me off.

Our residential refrigerator door's also get bungeed strapped. Originally we thought that the seal was strong enough, but a jug of juice on the loose opened them right up.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Are the couches in MHs bolted down when they are sold at the dealer? Every MH I have owned they have been bolted down.

What about you bedding, loose pillows, etc? They are in a separate room, so not much to worry about there.

Our nick nacks are secured in the cabinet with spring loaded curtain rods for the days trip. The counter top ones are secured with museum putty and the coffee maker sits in the sink for travel. All loose items are stored for travel. DW does that while I am unhooking, we are ready to go in a short period of time.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote