Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #1

Does anyone use a weather station with the wind and rain gauge?

I was thinking of getting a weather station for the RV. They typically come with just a sensor for temp and maybe humidity, but I see there are some fancy ones that have the wind direction/speed and rain gauge.

If you have one of those, do you leave it up going down the road? Obviously it would have to be no higher than the A/C units.
xraymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraymiller View Post
I was thinking of getting a weather station for the RV.
I have an AcuRite in/on the RV.
(https://www.acurite.com/shop-all-acu...cuRite%20Brand)

and one for the house.

HERE is the display for both units.

The one on the RV is 8' over the roof and the one at the house is 14' over the 6' fence so as to get the sensor array up into "clean" air for accurate readings.

The RV unit does NOT stay up while traveling.

The home unit is connected to our home Wi-Fi and we can read the home weather while on the road.

Both units came from Amazon.

PM me if you want any more details.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:43 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm kind of a weather nut and had a unit at the old house. I haven't purchased one for the coach yet but plan to. Reason I post this is to give you an idea on how to mount if you go forward.

I had a really nice neighbor at a campground and we got to talking about weather stations. He had a really complex one but what intrigued me was his mount. He used a pvc pole, maybe an inch thick that the station was mounted to. He the had spring loaded brackets attached to the rear ladder of the coach. All he did was pull the pvc pipe with the unit attached out of the basement and put it into the clamps.

Most of these units are wireless and I thought his setup was genius. Good luck with your setup.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #5

I do...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190306_100831632_HDR.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	236996
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We've got an AcuRite 5-in-1 mounted outside the S&B, but I will be taker it mobile with us. I've got no ladder to work with, but mounting will not be difficult.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put it on a mast with a BuddyPole mount. Quick and easy to put up / take down.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
My picture does not show the one for the RV, but the mounting for the sensors are identical. I don't have a rain gage as I am not monitoring rainfall for watering any lawns when I'm on the road.

I have an Accurite weather station for the MH because the display does not require external power. I have a Lacrosse station at the house with the color lit display.

I mounted the anemometer/temp/humidity sensor (all one unit on the Accurite) atop a telescoping flag pole. I have a mount on the rear of the MH to slip in the pole and raise it to where it is nearly 10' above the coach. For storage while underway, I have a section of PVC pipe mounted in one of the pass-through compartments and some small bungie cords.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_153637_resized.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	584.5 KB
ID:	237002

There is a solar powered down-light that lasts the whole night but isn't so bright as to disturb the neighbors.

Good luck with your project and hope to see you out there!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #9

Here's the outside unit...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190306_103923802.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	237010
Old 03-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Moved my home accurite to our rig for last summers travels and loved it. Was fun to taunt our Texas neighbors with photos of the temps in NM and CO. It mounts on a 1 inch o.d. PVC pipe about 2 feet long. This is the same diameter as comes on the standard mount for the Accuride. The pipe is mounted to the ladder of our rig with 2 double pipe clamps, which stay on the bus ladder when traveling. No, you do not want to leave it mounted when on the road. We carry a long enough ladder to reach the top of the bus, and exclusive of dealing with the ladder the mount or remove process takes only about 5 minutes. It is nice to have on board!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #11

For those that have personal weather stations...do you see much difference in the data compared to the public weather.com and the like?
I can see temp as that can be critical for driving (freezing), but rain? Wind speed?
Humidity? Not seeing where that would be too much incremental value where the data has to be spot on.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #12

Only thing I've found was just the temp might be a little off from what they say it is.....says it's 66 in town, but weather station here says 69.....
Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Only thing I've found was just the temp might be a little off from what they say it is.....
Bob & Dav L. Don't sweat it (pun intended).

I have the weather station sensors on a pole 20' above the ground. I also have a wireless temperature sensor under the eave of the house above the back patio.

They seldom agree with each other, let alone agree with the TV, my cell phone, my or my wife's car, or Alexa.

Even with all of that weather information available, I STILL go outside to see how it "feels".

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #14

Haw!....A/C works good!