Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does Your Coach Frustrate You??

We love our coach (Newmar DP) and we love traveling in it. However, it does seem to require a lot more maintenance and many more dollars than our previous truck/trailer combinations did.

I know this is an age-old debate, but is it just me or do others sometimes think the trailer life was easier? I know it was cheaper!

Thoughts or comments?!

Dave

Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #2

Dave:

Use to be frustrating when I was new to ownership, but after 12 years I've learned it's part of the equation. However, as time goes by with coach ownership it seems things get easier.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dale:

Valid point, thanks. This is our fourth RV but first coach. We jumped into the DP side of things as we have had a diesel trk for years of towing so we were comfortable with it. The complexity of systems does keep me on edge a bit and I am trying to put together a reasonable maintenance budget as we near retirement.

again, thanks..
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

Motorhomes are more complex than travel trailers, as they have an engine, in your case a diesel, and a generator, which most trailers don't have. Other than that, systems are pretty similar.

They do have extras, such as leveling systems, and more.

I recommend a maintenance schedule which you can make on your own, from the information in the owner's manual. I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep it simple. Keep ahead of the maintenance, and it shouldn't stress you out (too much). I do my annual maintenance in the fall before I put it away for the winter (oil change, filters, genny service, etc.). Then it's good to go come spring.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1956 View Post
We love our coach (Newmar DP) and we love traveling in it. However, it does seem to require a lot more maintenance and many more dollars than our previous truck/trailer combinations did.

I know this is an age-old debate, but is it just me or do others sometimes think the trailer life was easier? I know it was cheaper!

Thoughts or comments?!

Dave
Yes, it's an age old debate. If your trailer or coach sits most of the year, or you're living it in without traveling most of the year, then maybe the trailer's the best. However, if you're living in it while traveling most of the year, then maybe the coach is the best. The mechanical items deteriorate most when not used.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I look at it like this, we had a BIG boat, each time we went out, it required x amount of post use clean up and washing to get the salt off and out and get her reset

now with the m/h, its nearly the same thing to reset it for the next trip
wash real good
clean the insides real good, even though DW keeps the inside pretty spotless, it still gets some TLC
fix anything that gave us fits
then she is ready to go on the next outing
its just a fact of ownership i guess
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
I know this is an age-old debate, but is it just me or do others sometimes think the trailer life was easier? I know it was cheaper
Cheaper for sure. Insurance, tires, oil changes etc.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #8

Do my own work and treat the coach as a hobby, so I rarely get frustrated with it. I do my maintenance continuously. In aircraft we called it "progressive" maintenance? Instead of letting it stack up and become due at once, I spread it out, doing a bit here and there. It's still being done within all the provided guidelines, but is much easier to handle this way. Frustration levels stay down. Works for me anyway. -Al
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
I look at it like this, we had a BIG boat, each time we went out, it required x amount of post use clean up and washing to get the salt off and out and get her reset

now with the m/h, its nearly the same thing to reset it for the next trip
wash real good
clean the insides real good, even though DW keeps the inside pretty spotless, it still gets some TLC
fix anything that gave us fits
then she is ready to go on the next outing
its just a fact of ownership i guess
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Do my own work and treat the coach as a hobby, so I rarely get frustrated with it. I do my maintenance continuously. In aircraft we called it "progressive" maintenance? Instead of letting it stack up and become due at once, I spread it out, doing a bit here and there. It's still being done within all the provided guidelines, but is much easier to handle this way. Frustration levels stay down. Works for me anyway. -Al
Ditto. I view my DP more like an airplane or boat in terms of what I need to do proactively to keep safe and rolling down the road. If I were thinking of my coach as just another motor vehicle in my driveway that I got in, turned the key, and drove I'm sure it would drive me crazy quickly. We've had our share of issues like everyone else but, no, it doesn't frustrate me.

Learning about the systems and how they work was a big deal for me... and a process which is still underway... but that education has helped me maintain both the coach and my sanity.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We are now at the ten year limit for tires, have changed the front tires, started to redo all seams with sealant last year, need some work on passenger jack small leak.
Painted the wiper arms and just found a sensor for ABS broken off brake fluid holding tank thread finally snapped because of over tighten when built.
Replaced the dash display, had brake recall done and will need change out of cooling unit of now famous Norcold fridge so they will stop calling me and sending fliers for recall, fridge works fine.
The seven trailers we had never kept them long enough to get at this point but bet they wouldn't have lasted this long with the miles on coach.
We are happy with this coach even with all the work keeping it going as with our aging bodies, we are all not new anymore.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

As the number of moving parts increases on ANYTHING, the more time required for maintenance, weather by you, or paid professional.

Ed
Old 08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #12

Heck yes!! So does the DW but I won't be getting rid of her anytime soon either. I do most of my own maintenance and enjoy the work. I try to have everything 100% so there are no issues on our trips. The problem is, it takes those trips for the issues to show up....and that is where the frustration kicks in. I look forward to our trips for weeks, spending several hours/days making sure everything is operating perfectly. Problem is it very seldom goes perfectly.

Last weekends trip blown winshield wiper fuse in rain storm, rear camera lost signal temporarily, bigfoot leveler control panel burnt up at 3 AM campground arrival, 15 month old surge guard quit working ,also at 3am .... This isn't the norm, and I was able to work through it all but sure was a frustrating weekend. Everything is fixed and being the eternal optimist looking forward to the next trip.

Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote