Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe a silly question but is it normal to hear strange "bump" sounds in a docked coach? We seem to hear it mostly at night and in the morning as the coach heats up and cools down and I suspect that it's normal expansion and contraction of the slides but....

Anyone else have these goblins?

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
paz

We hear a few noises in the coach at night, but most of the time turns out to be the dog bumping her backside against something when she rolls over. Our coach is surprisingly quiet at night, at least it is when the water heater is running on electric instead of LP and when it's warm enough not to need the furnace. In fact, our stick house used to pop and crack much more than our motorhome does.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're most likely to hear "noises" just after sunrise when a hot sun is heating things up.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #4

Is your coach leleving jacks extended when you hear these "bumps"? If so, could be jacks "settling"; e.g. weight of the coach causing one or more of the jacks to 'compress' slightly, but suddenly. Just a thought.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

Yes, we hear the occassional bump in the night as well. I also have concluded that it was a jack settling or a thermal contraction of sorts. Those don't make me jump near as much as the tag on the dogs collar sliding down the front of the air intake vent under the bed!

It sounds like a dime store harp being strummed badly.........

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ours goes bump if the jacks are extended near their full travel and the night is substantially cooler than the day. Hear noises on cool down and again during warm up. Sometimes we hear it all the time, but I can usually s stop that by retracting the rear jacks a little.

Our previous Dolphin did it under slightly different circumstances and so did the Southwind before that.

I've heard dozens of different explanations of this phenomena, but it seems to be a common problem. Some coaches seem to be worse than others. Not some brands - some individual coaches.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:33 PM   #7

Once. Turned out to be some kids playing chase and one climbed up the ladder and ran across the roof.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all for your insights and ideas. My noises have always been with the coach leveled but I've never checked to see if the jacks were all the way extended or not. That's something for me to check. At least it doesn't appear that I need to find an exorcist just yet.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #9

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Exorist , now that is a good one.. It has to be your leverals., try puttin 2 x 12w x 20L board under each one.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I leave the motorhome engine idleing while leveling the motorhome to let the engine cool down. If I shut off the engine without shutting off the levelers first our motorhome makes occassional settleing noises. If I remember to shut off the levelers first before turning the engine off all is well and stays quiet. I've gotten into the habit of shutting off the levelers first, waking up in the middle of the night when I would forget helped reinforce the correct habit!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I remember to shut off the levelers first before turning the engine off all is well and stays quiet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve & Nancy

If your Winnebago has HWH levelers, manually shutting the levelers off could cause the levelers to contribute to the mysterious "bumps" and other sounds. HWH techs have told me at GNR and other rallies that I should never manually turn off the levelers, but leave the engine running or and/or key on until the levelers totally complete their cycle and turn themselves off. That is particularly important when retracting, as turning them off before the cycle is totally completed could result in one or more jacks creeping down while driving.

I also have learned that it helps to re-level the coach after several hours or even a day or more when parked on dirt. We use large cutting boards for jack pads, but even then the ground often compacts more under one jack than another, sometimes enough to feel the coach moving a bit when someone walks around. After allowing time to for the jacks to settle, I turn the key on and hit the level button again the jacks often will do a little more extension on one or more. Then after the panel has turned itself off, I turn the key off and know we are more stable.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 AM   #12

Ours went bump, scratch and chew during the night for a few weeks this past summer...due to the residency of one annoying field mouse who would NOT take the bait. Finally got the little bugger after he ate through the furnace ductwork and nested in the basement.

That said, our levelers will 'drop' on occassion, which makes that quick bumping noise. In fact, we were in it yesterday, doing some winter cleaning (it's currently in our backyard, with the levelers down), and one of the levelers dropped a bit.

glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the Kwikee levelers and I should have said I shut the levelers off before the engine when I have used the levelers to level our motorhome and am setting up to stay some place. When lowering our motorhome in preperation to leave we let the leveler system shut itself off before moving. When using the levelers to raise and level our motorhome the Kwikees will not shut off by themselves, they will only shut off by themselvers when retracting all the way in preperation to leave.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John66:
Once. Turned out to be some kids playing chase and one climbed up the ladder and ran across the roof. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Funny! We were in the camped in a wooded area and had squirrels (or something) running on the roof one nigiht. Moli (Lab) got pretty excited.