Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I posted this in the Damon forum but there might be more traffic here and There does'nt seem to be a lot of consistency in how these MH's are built, not even with the same brand. Maybe someone else has had this problem and has figured out a way to remove the cover without too much damage.

I'd think that any one who could'nt figure out how to remove the doghouse must be seriously lacking in any kind of mechanical aptitude.
But I'm pretty much a 'do it myself' guy with more tools than many mechanics but I gave up again for about the 4th time. I made up my mind this morning that I was going to get that thing off and go to West Marine and get some nice hatch brackets to put on to make removing it easy.
I failed again. The carpet is glued over the doghouse first. Then the carpet for the rest of the house is glued over or to the carpetover the doghouse. It would have been better and easier if they carpeted the house first and then the carpeted doghouse would go over the carpet.
It seems like I would have to rip the house carpet off the doghouse , and it is glued solid the whole way. Then I guess the screws/ bolts under the doghouse carpet would be easy enough to get to, maybe. But it sounds like I'm going to have a mess, especially for a maybe.
Is any one elses doghouse similar to mine and if so what does it take to get it off?
I have an appx 12"X 12" opening that comes off easily and I really don't have to get it off right now. That's why I have'nt taken the crowbar and demolition hammer to it yet.
However, if I'm ever on the road and need to get in there, I'm going to be SOL if I can't even get it off in the comfort of my own driveway.
Any suggestions or help will certainly be appreciated.
Calling Damon or the dealer was a wasted call because I'm only allowed to talk to the person who can only answer the phone and barely knows what a doghouse in a MH is.

Max
05 Damon Daybreak, 35' WH

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I posted this in the Damon forum but there might be more traffic here and There does'nt seem to be a lot of consistency in how these MH's are built, not even with the same brand. Maybe someone else has had this problem and has figured out a way to remove the cover without too much damage.

I'd think that any one who could'nt figure out how to remove the doghouse must be seriously lacking in any kind of mechanical aptitude.
But I'm pretty much a 'do it myself' guy with more tools than many mechanics but I gave up again for about the 4th time. I made up my mind this morning that I was going to get that thing off and go to West Marine and get some nice hatch brackets to put on to make removing it easy.
I failed again. The carpet is glued over the doghouse first. Then the carpet for the rest of the house is glued over or to the carpetover the doghouse. It would have been better and easier if they carpeted the house first and then the carpeted doghouse would go over the carpet.
It seems like I would have to rip the house carpet off the doghouse , and it is glued solid the whole way. Then I guess the screws/ bolts under the doghouse carpet would be easy enough to get to, maybe. But it sounds like I'm going to have a mess, especially for a maybe.
Is any one elses doghouse similar to mine and if so what does it take to get it off?
I have an appx 12"X 12" opening that comes off easily and I really don't have to get it off right now. That's why I have'nt taken the crowbar and demolition hammer to it yet.
However, if I'm ever on the road and need to get in there, I'm going to be SOL if I can't even get it off in the comfort of my own driveway.
Any suggestions or help will certainly be appreciated.
Calling Damon or the dealer was a wasted call because I'm only allowed to talk to the person who can only answer the phone and barely knows what a doghouse in a MH is.

Max
05 Damon Daybreak, 35' WH

Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Max, I feel your pain, mine is glued down also. Thankfully, the fuel clip recall was accomplished from underneath. (Accomplished by a younger person with more range of movement) Dog-Gone, it's no fun getting old. However it's mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
I have taken mine out several times. I didn't have the problem you have however. The carpet is 'glued' to the doghouse as you guessed. It pulls away from it quite easily, at least mine did. I removed all the carpet, chairs, couch and carpet clear to the back of the coach. Put laminate flooring down, and new carpet in the front where the doghouse is, including the doghouse. Now I'm not suggesting you do all that, but you should be able to find the screws holding it down, and use scissors/knife and just cut the fibres aways from the floor where you find the glue, a very tedious process. My carpet was very dirty and we just decided to gut it and redo it. We even did the bathroom in vinyl and the curtains and even the couch to make it match colors properly. It was a major overhaul for us, and it came out just fine.

Good luck in your effort.

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

Next time you pay all that money for a rig, don't sign the final papers until the dealer shows you inside of and how to get into every part of your new rig. Be thankful that you are not broke down in the middle of Death Valley, in August, 120+ degrees and really need to get into something.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #6

On another motorhome I had the carpet wasn't that tight in the doghouse area. Besides the clips holding the cover down I had to pull back some of the carpet around the doghouse and found 4 screws also holding it down.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I imagine the screws are under the 2 layers of carpet. I guess I should think about how I'd get the carpet back down and looking good and how I would put nice latches on it so it would be easily removed in the future.
I guess it's possible that I would never have to get in there since I have the 12" by 12 or 15" opening.
Do other coaches have the opening in the doghouse? Maybe Damon just put it there so the doghouse does'nt have to be removed.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #8

I have a 2003 Pace Arrow with a similar 'escape hatch' in the doghouse. I did remove the entire doughouse and what a mess. After I got through the carpet and screw fiasco and started pulling up the doghouse I found out that it was sealed with a black tar like sticky, stringy sealant. I have white ultraleather captain's chairs in the driver area, guess you can figure out the rest of the story...

I will be remodeling the coach this year and replacing the chairs, sofa, and the carpet in the process. During this evolution I am again going to remove the doghouse and see if I can find some type of rubber bulb seal that can be installed and some hinges / securing device so it can be removed if necessary in the future. Short of that I would not remove the doghouse without removing the chairs and covering all of the carpet with something to protect it. Remember, once you have to doghouse loose, you have to move it somewhere, it is much bigger than it looks when you start trying to thread it through your coach... Did I tell I was going to remodel this year??
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I was afraid of that too js9315. I took some pics.

I don't think Damon wanted me in here
I might open a can of worms that I don't want to if I start tearing this carpet out.
@ this point , I really don't need to take it off.I just get jealous when I hear other people say how easy it is to take their doghouse off.
I would like to add more sound proofing but it probably has that black gluey tar stuff holding it down and I'd probably just make it worse.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #10

Max,

A call to Damon or the selling dealer would be my best advice. Why guess when you have a shot at getting it from the horses mouth?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamdave:
"...Put laminate flooring down, and new carpet in the front where the doghouse is, including the doghouse." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off thread, but do you have any pictures you could post? And did you use laminate throughout the MH?