Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #43

This thread reminded me of this.....Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	253730
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #44

No, but our ACE is a 30.1 and has a window at floor level if front of passenger s seat, and yes both dogs love it. But we have to cover it at night, cuz at the crack of dawn they bark cuz the see someone outside. 😁
Quickuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Fire Up has the right idea. But rather than building something out of wood, go to an upholstery place that deals with foam and have them cut a foam wedge that will fit. You cover it and the dogs love it!
ScottLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
I commented because of [Isafety[/I]. Animals are not people and should be in their respective places. The dash of any vehicle is asking for an accident.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:21 PM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00FC9E8F-B207-4C51-A5F7-6EB2C7B44F32.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	253743  
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
I’m really trying to understand why some people need to offer their opinions on something that was never asked for. The original post simply asked advice on how to construct a platform for a pet. Didn’t ask if any of us thought it was a good idea or not to have a pet on the dash. Why don’t we stick to trying to help answer the posters question.
Its one of them ob-sessive com-pulsive deals
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:04 PM   #49

Dogs on the Dash! Oh my!!!

I would never drive with my dogs up on the dash. I know your dogs are use to it but m.h.'s do get into accidents and your fur babies are important family members. I think that them not seeing the view versus being safely in a safety harness or Kennel while your driving is a no brainer. Sorry. Even a blow out can be very distracting and hard to control. Even in the car they should be in a safety harness in the back seat and not roaming while your driving. I have read so many articles where people were involved in accidents and their dogs were so scared they ran off.... PLEASE HELP IF YOU SEE OUR DOG CONTACT..... it's so sad. Dont take chances with their lives. They can sit up there when you are safely parked.
bbyphatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:19 PM   #50

Quote:
I’m really trying to understand why some people need to offer their opinions on something that was never asked for. The original post simply asked advice on how to construct a platform for a pet. Didn’t ask if any of us thought it was a good idea or not to have a pet on the dash. Why don’t we stick to trying to help answer the posters question.

This has been answered already.

Sometimes people ask things not realizing that there is a danger involved in what they are trying to do, and I think that it is irresponsible to not bring up the safety issues in those situations.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Red face

She loved the rideClick image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-07 11.51.31.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	253757
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
To me, this is a pretty simple problem to solve. I'm not familiar with your coach and it's dash design but, here's what I might do. Simply take a piece of cardboard that would be large enough to make a template of the dimensions for width and length, of a platform you'll be making later from the template.

Now, the cardboard would be traced out to the curve of the windshield, however high it would have to be raise, to make a LEVEL PLATFORM from the leading dash edge to the windshield. See what I'm getting at. Now, once you have this cardboard platform, then hold it level with the edge touching the windshield and the front edge, at the edge of the dash. Now, take a measurement (might need two people for this) and, measure how far down from the bottom of the cardboard closest to windshield to the point at which the windshield disappears into the dash.

Do this at both the right and left points of the cardboard. Now, you have the basis and set of measurements, to make a WOODEN platform. Depending on your size of dog(s), that will determine wood to make it out of. If you've got GREAT DANES that sit on the dash, well, you might need to make it out of 1" thick plywood. But, if you've got small, Chiwawas or mini Schnauzers, then 1/4" plywood and, some 2"x2" legs, glued and screwed to the section that is closest to the windshield.

Do you see what I'm trying to describe. I could have had one built by the time I explained this idea to you. It's that simple. Now, put whatever cover, blanket, pad, small dog bed, whatever on top of that new platform for the dog(s) to be happy on while on patrol.
Scott
Now really? holly macro if I had to do all that I would just get rid of the dog/s problem solved

Zzotte
Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #53

Quote:

It does not matter what we personally think or feel as the correct answer to how to build a travel platform to allow an animal to ride on the dash while diving - is that animals should be restrained in a crate or using a tether when a vehicle is in motion so building a platform to allow them to sit on the dash while the vehicle was in motion would be illegal as a LEO has already indicated. Adding anything that could obstruct your view of the road to the dash/windshield is illegal be it a device, tool, thermos bottle, live animal, window tint, etc.

Only when parked one could do such as place a box on the passenger seat, a towel on the dash and lay a piece of light weight plywood across it for an animal to lay on.

Ethically one does not endorse or advise others on how to engage in unsafe or unlawful activities especially in a public forum. If I advised someone on making a dashboard animal travel platform for use while driving then I could be held liable for any damages that occurred to all vehicles and souls involved if its use led to a traffic mishap.

FYI: I traveled for years with 2 dogs and a cat. While the motor home was being driven all animals had harnesses on them with the dogs harnesses tethered to a seat belt or other anchor point and the cat in a tethered travel crate. During an emergency stop unsecured animals can become like a bowling ball rolling the entire 30/40 feet up the middle of your rig to impact on other passengers, the dash or up through the windshield.

After one close call in an emergency maneuver with an unsecured dog in the coach I started towing the line on not allowing unsecured animals while the coach was in motion.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #54

Boy, this series sounds like Facebook during the last election! Anyway, here is our fluff ball (note: while parked less I incur the wrath of others!)

Name:	72C1E764-834B-40DD-8B14-F89A24D7AD55.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	253800
Now do raccoons have to be in seat belts while I travel? This was an old gal that got into my motorhome while at my mechanics and rode home with me!

Name:	44964C65-9560-4914-936A-83F669301C16.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	253801
Finally, this dog skipped the window and went right to driving a semi!

Name:	CDFE825B-C71E-433A-A22C-77DDD6487A3A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	253802

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc View Post
No, but our ACE is a 30.1 and has a window at floor level if front of passenger s seat, and yes both dogs love it. But we have to cover it at night, cuz at the crack of dawn they bark cuz the see someone outside. ��
I'd be very interested in the technique you use for covering that window, because my fur buddy loves the floor window in our ACE. It would be handy to cover at times
so she can't see critters outside to bark at!
Dogleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
It does not matter what we personally think or feel as the correct answer to how to build a travel platform to allow an animal to ride on the dash while diving - is that animals should be restrained in a crate or using a tether when a vehicle is in motion so building a platform to allow them to sit on the dash while the vehicle was in motion would be illegal as a LEO has already indicated. Adding anything that could obstruct your view of the road to the dash/windshield is illegal be it a device, tool, thermos bottle, live animal, window tint, etc.

Only when parked one could do such as place a box on the passenger seat, a towel on the dash and lay a piece of light weight plywood across it for an animal to lay on.

Ethically one does not endorse or advise others on how to engage in unsafe or unlawful activities especially in a public forum. If I advised someone on making a dashboard animal travel platform for use while driving then I could be held liable for any damages that occurred to all vehicles and souls involved if its use led to a traffic mishap.

FYI: I traveled for years with 2 dogs and a cat. While the motor home was being driven all animals had harnesses on them with the dogs harnesses tethered to a seat belt or other anchor point and the cat in a tethered travel crate. During an emergency stop unsecured animals can become like a bowling ball rolling the entire 30/40 feet up the middle of your rig to impact on other passengers, the dash or up through the windshield.

After one close call in an emergency maneuver with an unsecured dog in the coach I started towing the line on not allowing unsecured animals while the coach was in motion.
You might want to actually read post #1 before shooting from the hip.

Tags
dash, dogs