RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #1

Dogs on the Dash

Our last MH was a Thor ACE and one nice thing about it was that it had a flat dash. We put a dog bed on it and the little critters could lay up there as we drove. It was also a nice place for them to hang out at the CG so they could see what was going on outside and alert us if there were evil cats or squirrels near our RV. In our new MH the dash is not flat, it actually has a pretty steep angle going down to the windshield. Has anyone figured out a way for the dogs to hang out on the dash? If so, can you post pics on how you did it? Our poor dogs have no windows to look out of.

Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippytwo View Post
Our last MH was a Thor ACE and one nice thing about it was that it had a flat dash. We put a dog bed on it and the little critters could lay up there as we drove. It was also a nice place for them to hang out at the CG so they could see what was going on outside and alert us if there were evil cats or squirrels near our RV. In our new MH the dash is not flat, it actually has a pretty steep angle going down to the windshield. Has anyone figured out a way for the dogs to hang out on the dash? If so, can you post pics on how you did it? Our poor dogs have no windows to look out of.
Velcro ?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #3

yup...just velcro the dogs to the dash!

why not use small blankets or towels to build up the area so the bed lays flat?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #4

Well,
To me, this is a pretty simple problem to solve. I'm not familiar with your coach and it's dash design but, here's what I might do. Simply take a piece of cardboard that would be large enough to make a template of the dimensions for width and length, of a platform you'll be making later from the template.

Now, the cardboard would be traced out to the curve of the windshield, however high it would have to be raise, to make a LEVEL PLATFORM from the leading dash edge to the windshield. See what I'm getting at. Now, once you have this cardboard platform, then hold it level with the edge touching the windshield and the front edge, at the edge of the dash. Now, take a measurement (might need two people for this) and, measure how far down from the bottom of the cardboard closest to windshield to the point at which the windshield disappears into the dash.

Do this at both the right and left points of the cardboard. Now, you have the basis and set of measurements, to make a WOODEN platform. Depending on your size of dog(s), that will determine wood to make it out of. If you've got GREAT DANES that sit on the dash, well, you might need to make it out of 1" thick plywood. But, if you've got small, Chiwawas or mini Schnauzers, then 1/4" plywood and, some 2"x2" legs, glued and screwed to the section that is closest to the windshield.

Do you see what I'm trying to describe. I could have had one built by the time I explained this idea to you. It's that simple. Now, put whatever cover, blanket, pad, small dog bed, whatever on top of that new platform for the dog(s) to be happy on while on patrol.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Scott has a great suggestion on how to build a platform, but let me throw a monkey wrench in the mix. Anything you build or add on the dash is going to severely limit the visibility to the front. The dash on that coach is inclined down to allow closer visibility. As an aside, our dogs are never allowed to ride on the dash when moving but keep guard when we're parked.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

I understand the desire to have your dogs nearby as much as possible, but is it really safe to drive with the dogs on the dash? Not just for your safety, but for theirs as well. What happens to them if you have to make an emergency stop or other type of emergency maneuver?

Sorry to be a party pooper, but when I had dogs they always rode in the back seat of the car with a dog seat belt on so they wouldn't go flying if I hit the brakes hard. I would never consider riding on the dash safe for any animal.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Scott has a great suggestion on how to build a platform, but let me throw a monkey wrench in the mix. Anything you build or add on the dash is going to severely limit the visibility to the front. The dash on that coach is inclined down to allow closer visibility. As an aside, our dogs are never allowed to ride on the dash when moving but keep guard when we're parked.
not only that but in the event of a panic stop it's gonna end up in someone's lap or face. that would be a great solution when you're parked, not so much when moving.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM   #8

Your dog should be belted in.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #9

We are more concerned when we are at the RV park (but one of our dogs loved laying on the dash as we drive). I should have mention that when we are parked and have the front shades down it cuts the dash in half. I tried cutting out a piece of wood and made the stand out of pvc pipe with pvc insulated for cushion so it wouldn’t scratch up the dash, but because of the slope I couldn’t really secure it down. And yes, I know we should strap them in, but you know what they say. “Happy Dog Happy Life”.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I don’t have a dog, but I have a cat that loves to look out the windshield when parked. The angle of the dash (ours is downsloping too) never bothered her. She just jumps up and settles down, at least until a bird comes by. We do leave the windshield shades up a few inches so she can slip under them. With the slope, you can’t see into the living area of the coach that way anyway. The cat never had a bed there; she just lays down on the dash.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #11

We travel with a retired Grey Hound who loved to lay on the dash at the CG. We traded in our Class A for a B+ and the dog was disappointed that she couldn’t see out the window. With a little planning made a padded platform that I put up over the passenger seat when we get to CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0FABB30A-1CDC-4B15-926F-59141BE9BC02.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	346.7 KB
ID:	252842  
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Your dog should be belted in.
No, YOUR dog should be belted in, because that is what you want. Other people can make their own decisions within the law, thank you for your parenting. Why are you not wearing a five-point seatbelt? It is much safer than the three point that came with your rig.

How about we stick to the OP's question and stop lecturing others with your own beliefs.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I make a cushy cave/den for them under the dinette for while we're under way. When parked there's a plush bathroom rug with a non-skid backing that's on the dash which gives them a nice place to keep a watchful eye on squirrels, has a good grip and protects the surface of the dash. I've entertained the idea of installing a passenger blind spot/doggie window but it's pretty low on the priority list.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
No, YOUR dog should be belted in, because that is what you want. Other people can make their own decisions within the law, thank you for your parenting. Why are you not wearing a five-point seatbelt? It is much safer than the three point that came with your rig.

How about we stick to the OP's question and stop lecturing others with your own beliefs.
I know that this wasn't directed at me, but I'll respond as to the reason I brought up the safety issue. It was for the safety of both the dog and the driver. Also because we all share the same roads.

Guess I've seen one too many drivers distracted by a dog on their lap, in the passenger seat, on the dash, etc. to not mention that the premise of the question is based on an unsafe practice.

If my posts came across as being preachy or of trying to parent, I apologize. But I don't apologize for pointing out obvious safety issues when they are brought up.

Tags
dash, dogs