Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #1

I had Wineguard replace my AS2003 satellite system that kept failing and they discontinued with their new low profile dome system. So far its harder to get good gain numbers on the transponders and when it rains and the dome gets wet we loose the signal. Does anyone know if that spray for domes really works for rain conditions? Its a little 6 oz can at camping world for $24 and the direction tell you to apply it twice and that it may have to be resprayed after washing the dome.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:26 PM   #2

I had Wineguard replace my AS2003 satellite system that kept failing and they discontinued with their new low profile dome system. So far its harder to get good gain numbers on the transponders and when it rains and the dome gets wet we loose the signal. Does anyone know if that spray for domes really works for rain conditions? Its a little 6 oz can at camping world for $24 and the direction tell you to apply it twice and that it may have to be resprayed after washing the dome.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM   #3

You will see little or no difference between a sprayed and non-sprayed dome.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Bill:

Since the domed antennas have a much smaller dish than the open roof types won't the domes loose the signal before an open dishes??

All thing being equal, the signal strength is lower with a dome than an open dish. Correct???

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bill:

Since the domed antennas have a much smaller dish than the open roof types won't the domes loose the signal before an open dishes??

All thing being equal, the signal strength is lower with a dome than an open dish. Correct???

-Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely! Hoevever, in addition to this, the open face dishes can have water on them and still reflect the signal to the LNB whereas a dome covered in water will block the signal before it reaches the LNB.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #6

If our stay is to be more than 24 hours I set up my portable dish instead of the dome for all of the reasons in the previous posts.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've found that Rain-ex (auto windshield treatment) on the dome helps some, in a "sprinkle". Nothing helps if it really rains.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:44 AM   #8

Be careful when using Rain-X. If you read the information on the bottle you will see that it is not recommended for use on plastic surfaces. Depending upon the dome, Rain-X can ruin the smooth surface.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Winegard Movin' View dome and have been very happy with it in the year+ that we've had it.

I don't know what kind of signal strength it gets...I just push a button and it finds the signal, so haven't ever bothered to go into the menu to find out what the signal strength is.

And we haven't had any problems with rain on the dome (we do use the same stuff on the dome that we use on the gelcoat sides of our rig...whether it really helps or not, I don't know, but it makes us feel good ). It will loose the signal when a big storm comes between it and the satellite, but that happened with our open faced dome, too.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #10

I also have a movinview and rain fade hasnt been an out of the ordinary issue so far in 2 years.Just like my house sat antenna , a big storm will make it fade for a little while,but I have always assumed this is normal and I dont worry about it.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll ditto both Linda H & Frankie
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:10 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We also have the Movin view Stationary version. We have been really happy with it's performance. Previously we had the undomed versionson different MHs and we are glad to have domed version in some of the high winds we have been in.

I only wonder if the Movin View will become obsolete after the switch to more satelittes for HD.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:56 AM   #13

There is no reason to believe that your dome will become obsolete unless you want to be able to get the HDTV programming from DirecTV in your coach. These new satellites are already up there and sending programming so that is not the issue. The problem is that the 2 new satellites broadcast on the KA band and all the domes uses KU band LNB's. OK you say, let's just swap it out with a KA band LNB! Not so fast, the main DTV programming still comes from the 101 (KU band) satellite. Dish Network still uses only KU band satellites so the domes continue to work there with very little issue.
Again, this is only an issue for those wanting satellite HDTV programming.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
jfb

We have the Kingdome with a hard-wired remote to "tune" the dish when we get parked. We'll loose the signal in a hard rain but it recovers fairly quickly. I feel the "rain fade" is more due to the heavy cloud cover, that passes fairly quickly, rather than rain water on the dome. It would seem that the water would adhere for a longer period of time than what we experience as "rain fade"????