Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Dometic Customer Support = Worthless

Over the weekend, I ran into an odd situation with my Dometic Air Conditioner (unsure which model). In a nutshell, I used the heater in the morning to take off the chill. After an hour or so, I switched the single zone LCD thermostat from heat to cool and set the temperature to 75 degrees. At the time, the coach was cooler than 75 degrees, so the air conditioner did not kick on. About an hour later, the coach was noticeably warmer than 75 degrees and the air conditioner had not kicked on. A thermometer in my coach was reading 82-83 degrees. I consider this digital thermometer to be accurate. I went to the thermostat, pulled off the cover, and the air conditioner immediately kicked on. After that, the unit seemed to work properly throughout the day.

Concerned by this, I decided to call Dometic to see if they had heard of this issue. I'm figuring the system got confused when I switched from heat to cool, but I wanted to run it by Dometic Support to see if they had any suggestions and to confirm I did not have the start of a more serious problem.

After a short wait, a woman got on the phone (did not mention her name). She asked if I wanted to order a part or needed technical support. I said technical support. She immediately said all technicians are out in the field and I would have to go to my local repair center for assistance. I told her I was not sure I had an actual problem and wanted to speak with someone that had knowledge of the air conditioner unit. She again told me the same thing. I confirmed with her she had no one there to assist me. She said they were a call center. I started to say, "Great. Thank you for yout time." She hung up before I could finish my sentence.

Really??? A company like this that does not provide technical support by phone. Extremely disappointed.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Doesn't surprise me in the least. Most companies suck at help 😡
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's amazing some of these large RV manufacturers will not talk to you. Many want you to call or hire a regional tech who is often a crook or doesn't have a clue. Even more amazing are the companies that have a "Contact Us" on their website and when you email them, you NEVER hear back. I always make a mental note and try to never do business with them again if I can.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:14 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dometic only provided dealer support.. Alas, For user level support you need to get peer to peer.

You said you set it on 75 or whatever and it failed to switch,, Is it supposed to automatically switch from HEAT to COOL, I mean I knwo it is possible to build one that way, but Never actually seen one that did.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=Rossi6998;2304818]Over the weekend, I ran into an odd situation with my Dometic Air Conditioner (unsure which model). In a nutshell, I used the heater in the morning to take off the chill. After an hour or so, I switched the single zone LCD thermostat from heat to cool and set the temperature to 75 degrees. At the time, the coach was cooler than 75 degrees, so the air conditioner did not kick on. About an hour later, the coach was noticeably warmer than 75 degrees and the air conditioner had not kicked on. A thermometer in my coach was reading 82-83 degrees. I consider this digital thermometer to be accurate. I went to the thermostat, pulled off the cover, and the air conditioner immediately kicked on. After that, the unit seemed to work properly throughout the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Dometic only provided dealer support.. Alas, For user level support you need to get peer to peer.

You said you set it on 75 or whatever and it failed to switch,, Is it supposed to automatically switch from HEAT to COOL, I mean I knwo it is possible to build one that way, but Never actually seen one that did.
Must of missed the "I switched"........
Old 11-10-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Sorry... Maybe I confused you. The selections on the thermostat are Fan, Cool, and Furnace (not heat). The Cool operates the A/C, and the Furnace operates the heat. The fan option is fan only. I have to manually select either Cool for A/C or Furnace for heat. The thermostat will not automatically switch from furnace to cool, or from cool to furnace.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like you may have a loose connection on the the T'stat. Verify the thre wires have clean tight connections. Otherwise, if the problem persists a new t'stat may be required.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you RV Wizard, I will check the connections.

Tags
dometic