Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Dometic fridge propane issue.

A puzzle for all you propane experts. My fridge, a RM3962 Dometic has me puzzled. It works fine on electric. No problem.
When I switch to propane (which I prefer) it lights and stays lit until the set temperature is reached. The flame then shuts off until the next cycle calls for more heat (to cool) and it will not re-light. The flashing message shows "LP" "E1". In my user manual the E1 message means "hardware fault in the gas operation system". When I asked my local RV tech, he simply and quickly said it will need a new circuit board, $300 to $400. I feel this is not the case as a gas hardware fault is not a circuit board. A message showing E2 indicates a electronic circuitry issue.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I'm going to Bristol for the race next week and would like to have the propane working. Also, what is the proper location for the temp sensor inside the fridge. I have mine on the second fin from the right and at the top. Correct?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439251004.696321.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	102796Click image for larger version

ID:	102796Click image for larger version

ID:	102796q

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

I would Google Dometic and call their support group with the Model/Serial Number. There could be a recall that your dealer is not telling you about or does not know about. In any case, the factory people will know what the problem is.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could easily be a circuit board problem since it's detecting that there is no flame. There are also a fuse or two inside the "black box" on the back of the refer. Don't know your particular model though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Failure to light on the 2nd go-around is sometimes heat related. Everything heats up during the initial cooling cycle and wires and circuit boards expand a bit and change characteristics ever-so-slightly. Sometimes it is enough so that they no longer work. That might be why the tech says "new circuit board". But to say that without any real diagnosis is asinine, in my opinion.

The circuit board is very much involved in gas operation. It opens the gas valve and initiates the spark ignition (DSI) device to light the burner, and then waits to detect a successful light (flame sensed). If it does not get conformational of a gas flame, it will shut off the gas valve to prevent a gas leak. Can you determine if there is any attempt to light? You should hear 3 clicks from the igniter and you can open the outside access door and watch it try. If there are no sparks, either the baord is bad or the igniter itself (including its wire). If it tries to light but does not, it could be an actual gas flow problem. If it lights but then gets shut off in 15-20 seconds, the problem is that the flame sensor did not report back to the circuit board to say a flame is present. That is usually a sensor or corroded wire problem.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Could easily be a circuit board problem since it's detecting that there is no flame. There are also a fuse or two inside the "black box" on the back of the refer. Don't know your particular model though.

Thanks guys for some valuable insight. Gary, you have given me some things to try before admitting to the faulty board. I'll be at it in the morning.

Tags
dometic, fridge, propane