Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

Dometic parts discontinued in only 4 years

The internal latch for the refrigerator in our 2013 rv broke on our last trip and when I called a Dometic parts supplier, they said it's discontinued and no longer available. Needless to say, I was stunned that parts for a 4 year old appliance are no longer available. What the hell are you supposed to do, replace the whole damn thing because the door won't stay closed while traveling?
pdeinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeinc View Post
The internal latch for the refrigerator in our 2013 rv broke on our last trip and when I called a Dometic parts supplier, they said it's discontinued and no longer available. Needless to say, I was stunned that parts for a 4 year old appliance are no longer available. What the hell are you supposed to do, replace the whole damn thing because the door won't stay closed while traveling?
I would call Dometic direct, not a parts supplier, I think I read somewhere that a manufactor had to keep parts for 5 years after the end of production. They might also have another model handle that would replace it. Also check eBay, because that supplier told you that it doesn't mean there is no part left in stock in this whole United States.
gljurczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:22 AM   #3

What model is the refrigerator?
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #4

And if it were me, and if the latch looks a bit weak, I'd buy two new ones if I could find them at all. Tuck the spare away somewhere for safe keeping, in a place you know you can find it again.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you looked at Amazon? I ordered one of those for my sister a couple of years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dometic+r...refrigerator+%
Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Have you looked at Amazon? I ordered one of those for my sister a couple of years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dometic+r...refrigerator+%
I hate to tell ya, but that link brings up a lotta stuff!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

It would be helpful if you posted MODEL

You might be surprised at what forum members can come up with.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:15 AM   #8

Lots of good answers, I'll see if I can address all of them. The model is RML 8555 and the particular part number is 2413267010. I scoured the internet including Amazon and Ebay even before calling Dometic suppliers. Dometic themselves has not responded to my second request, the first one just gave me a link for local Dometic dealers.

And yes, I thought there was a minimum time that parts had to be available and it was more than 4 years. I suppose I could research that question but it still won't produce a part. The portion that is broken is a separate piece of the assembly and while I came fabricate just about anything either by machining, forming or welding, that piece doesn't lend itself to any of those processes. Perhaps it's time to purchase a 3d printer, this isn't the first time one would come in handy!
Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found a thread over on a Sprinter owner's forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69281
Old 05-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #10

Quote:

A picture of the part would be helpful.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think I read somewhere that a manufactor had to keep parts for 5 years after the end of production.

Simply NOT true, except for a few specific products types. Passenger cars have rules like that, but most products have no requirements to ever provide repair parts. It's largely up to the manufacturer to determine if they want to be in the parts business.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Simply NOT true, except for a few specific products types. Passenger cars have rules like that, but most products have no requirements to ever provide repair parts. It's largely up to the manufacturer to determine if they want to be in the parts business.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I found a thread over on a Sprinter owner's forum:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=69281
Wow, over a hundred dollars for a replacement! Even crazier is the piece that breaks is a separate small plastic part costing cents to fabricate! I suppose I am going to have to put my fabrication skills to the test.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #14

Quote:
I suppose I am going to have to put my fabrication skills to the test.

Is this it?
https://www.dyersonline.com/dometic-...RoCKigQAvD_BwE
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, parts