Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #1

OK, followup to previous post about blown cooling unit.....have multiple options HOWEVER it is my opinion that the dealers are gouging the customers here based on quotes I've received....dealer wants $1060 + labor for cooling unit, $1440 + labor for NEW reefer (same model as current)......I have found cooling units for @$500 and new reefer (same model) from CW for @$1000 + shipping....question is whether either of these is a DIYer and if both which is easiest for a weekend project? Anyone out there done this before??? Thanx for info
DadD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #2

OK, followup to previous post about blown cooling unit.....have multiple options HOWEVER it is my opinion that the dealers are gouging the customers here based on quotes I've received....dealer wants $1060 + labor for cooling unit, $1440 + labor for NEW reefer (same model as current)......I have found cooling units for @$500 and new reefer (same model) from CW for @$1000 + shipping....question is whether either of these is a DIYer and if both which is easiest for a weekend project? Anyone out there done this before??? Thanx for info
Old 04-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #3

Having used to work on RV's before, I would say if you are somewhat handy replacement is pretty easy and straight forward. Some issues to consider is how easy is it to get in and out of trailer door? Have seen door frames have to come of for it to get thru. Only 4 screws holding it in from inside usually, 2 or 3 at bottom on the outside under all the silicone. Disconnect Gas Electric and 12 Volt then push/pull from inside. Install just the opposite. They are an extremely tight fit though. Expect to fight it a bit.

Good Luck
Maintcpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #4

OOPS...forgot to mention in original that CW will install for $197 according to their website...make a difference???
Old 04-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #5

If you can have it installed for under $200 and trust the local CW, why not.The price sounds reasonable to me. Most shops charge between $95 to $120 an hour.Depending on your access it might take you some time if you never did it before.What's your time worth?Can you warranty yourself?If you mess up,who do you complain too? A lot of guys here moan about how much of a rip off everything is,just weigh all your options. Its not a hard install,just time consuming if its a tight fit.

If you can change your own oil,you could probably do a cooling unit.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:03 PM   #6

If you can get an exact replacement (in terms of size and dimensions) then DIY is not all that difficult. I replace on a couple years ago. The installation guide will show you where all the fasteners are. You will need at least one helper to remove the old unit and set the new unit in place. I was lucky. I live within an hours drive of Elkhart and was able to find a new refridgerator for under $800. I had removed the old unit and had it on the floor when I picked up the new one. The dealer disposed of the old unit at no additional cost to me. In my case, the new one was about an inch larger (both height and width) so a bit of carpentry had to be done before the install. After lifting it in place the entire install took less than an hour.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
DadD45... I replaced one in a Class C motor home. It's heavy and awkward, but connections are easy. My class C had a Dometic unit and I found that Dometic made a direct replacement model. There are a couple of screws through the bottom frame that are accessible form the exterior door that hold it in place. Wiring connections were the same and the propane line went to the same spot.

A couple of things.......make sure your old/new unit will fit through your door and check the decorative panels on the refer door(s).

Even though everything was a direct replacement, I wanted to retain my refer door inserts because they matched the interior of my MH. The old inserts were a little smaller than the new ones. I had to add a little trim to them to make them fit right and look nice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #8

Just an FYI followup to my original post....IF you DIY the installation of Dometic products the WARRANTY is null and void...it MUST be installed by an accepted service center for Dometic...this per Dometic and multiple service center reps
Old 05-12-2008, 03:27 PM   #9

DadD45, not sure about the warranty issue. I installed mine myself, sent in the warranty papers and they were accepted without question. Never had to test the warranty though. FWIW, if you read the warranty, you also need to do an annual inspection at a dealer to keep the warranty valid at a cost of $100+. What a rip off!
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote