Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dometic refrigerator problem

Here's the deal:

On initial start-up of the refrigerator on propane, it sparks right up, I can hear the tell-tale sign of the flame burning and the fridge begins to cool.

It'll cool just wonderfully (wicked cold, actually). However, just a few hours later, I'll see the "Check" light, and it won't fire up correctly.

Any ideas of what's causing this? Is my igniter on its way out? Just how difficult is it to replace the igniter?

BTW, the fridge cools nicely on electric as well.

Thanks in advance....
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry.

I meant to put Dometic refrigerator problem as the title of the thread.

My Atwood hw heater works flawlessly.

Moderators, would you please change the title to "Dometic Refrigerator Problem"? Thanks !

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your flame sensor may need to be cleaned.
Use some steel wool to clean the ceramic sensor.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

A check light occurring later means that the propane flame did not re-ignite later when needed again. Or it lit but the controller board could not detect it and shut off the gas for safety reasons. The igniter and flame sesnor are one and the same device, so it may be that it fails when hot. Could also be that the circuit board fails after the cooling unit heats up after runnig for a couple hours.

Igniter/sensor is pretty easy to replace and not real expensive, so try that first.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #5

Lou & Cheri,
I had exactly the same problem except that mine was intermittent, which made troubleshooting horrible. It took me a couple of years before I finally tracked down the actual problem.

My guess is that your re-igniter is bad. Here’s a link to where I bought mine:
http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/igniter-reigniter-module-for-most-dometic-refrigerators-p-82.html

The one that is currently in your refrigerator should look a lot like that one. Here’s how you troubleshoot it:
  • Remove the re-igniter from the refrigerator.
  • Connect a 12 volt battery across the two power terminals. DON’T TOUCH THE TERMINAL THAT WAS CONNECTED TO THE SPARK ELECTRODE!
  • The re-igniter should start making a continuous clicking sound.
  • If it does not do this continuously as long as the battery is connected, it’s bad. Buy one of the above re-igniters and replace yours.
It’s also possible for the spark gap to be incorrect, but unless something was done to disrupt this, I would be more inclined to think the re-igniter just went bad.

The above procedure for checking the re-igniter can be found on page 27 of the Dometic Service Manual here:
http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/dom_techdata/MAN_SM.PDF

Good luck,
– Loren
Old 11-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My DW and our Cute Magnet as a friend called our rescue ( we rescued him from the pound) went over to Quartzsite, on our last trip we had the check light come on. I went and had that cleaned.(the burner) We had been having problems getting the refer to light. (Lights first time every time now) Since we had the unit repaired we were hooked up to shore power, the refrigerator went to auto, When we got to Quartzsite we fired it off and it worked fine. The only problem was that it kept cycling it's self. We would hear a click and the burner would start again. Is this normal?

Or is the circuit board going bad. This unit is in a 2005 class-c Jamboree it's a Dometic.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

I had a check lp prob with my Dometic a month ago. After removing the sheet metal cover I saw that a piece of paper was sitting on top of the thermo coupler!! It was one of the labels attached to various things in the back of the fridge.

So check your flame.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five2o View Post
I had a check lp prob with my Dometic a month ago. After removing the sheet metal cover I saw that a piece of paper was sitting on top of the thermo coupler!! It was one of the labels attached to various things in the back of the fridge.

So check your flame.

I did that, had the refrigerator unit worked on, now it's started cycling and lighting again, never did that before in the 5 years we have had the RV.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, dometic, heater, refrigerator, water