Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I got the notice the day I left for 2008 IRV2 National. I did not meet the previous recall criteria. But, it seems they have expanded the recall to units manufacture from June 1, 2003 to August 2006. My unit now falls into this recall.

I called the number on the recall and got approval to have the recall done by a local RV shop. It consists of nothing more than some shielding and a sensor.

I find the fix is lacking to say the least considering the words in the recall letter.

"After some period of use, a fatigue crack may develop in the boiler tube of the covered refrigerators that may release sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution in an area where an ignition source may be present."

Before

After

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #2

I got the notice the day I left for 2008 IRV2 National. I did not meet the previous recall criteria. But, it seems they have expanded the recall to units manufacture from June 1, 2003 to August 2006. My unit now falls into this recall.

I called the number on the recall and got approval to have the recall done by a local RV shop. It consists of nothing more than some shielding and a sensor.

I find the fix is lacking to say the least considering the words in the recall letter.

"After some period of use, a fatigue crack may develop in the boiler tube of the covered refrigerators that may release sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution in an area where an ignition source may be present."

Before

After

Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #3

Interesting, but what is the sensor susposed to sense, and what does it do if it does detect a leak??

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dale as you know the frig uses ammonia, water and some hydrogen as the refrigerant. Ammonia by it's self has a fairly narrow band for the explosive limits. Ammonia will not sustain a flame once the ignition source is removed....so it will pop. Now hydrogen is a different story and it will burn, but there is not much in the unit.

So I am not so sure as exactly what will burn other than what would be directly related to an electrical fire.

Next...exactly what is the added sensor sensing?

ken
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #5

According to the documentation it is called a "Thermo Disc" and it is hooked to a "Thermo Fuse".
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"After some period of use, a fatigue crack may develop in the boiler tube of the covered refrigerators that may release sufficient amount of pressurized coolant solution in an area where an ignition source may be present." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As explained to me by the tech that did the repair, this is what will happen if you don't do the repair.

As originally designed the flame may impinge on the boiler tube and cause the problem. The "fix" shields the boiler tubes from the flame, thus precluding a problem. What the thermo-sensor does is sense when the temp is too hot (fire condition) and cuts off the gas/electric.

At least this is the way it was expained to me and it makes sense. I can only hope that the tech is correct and it solves the problem.

2006 Cougar 289 EFS
Firecapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I had the recall regarding the shield taken care of, then several months later as we were departing from Daytona after the 500 this past February, the cooling unit died. Leaked all over the place. We used coolers for our stuff on the trip back to Tennessee. The $850.00 cooling unit was replaced free of charge and my rig is nearly five years old. My tech later said that there would be no more out of warranty free fixes.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #8

Firecapt,

I hate to disagreed...

But, from my perspective I see the shields are there to protect combustible components around the boiler tube. The Thermo disc and fuse are there to shut down the unit should the temps gets to high. There is also a downside to the shields. IF and I say IF there is not enough air moving around/through the boiler tube/stack you just may get into a shut down condition artificially.

CoastieSCPO,

I would think that Dometic has no choice but to fix any and all units that develop "fatigue cracks" simply from the fact that they have admitted that there is a problem and I see it as a design and a manufacturing issue. The shields don't fix the problem it just helps reduce the chances of a catastrophic fire by shutting down the unit. This way they save $$$$ in a wrongful death suit. Believe me bringing a wrongful death suit is not fun, been there. Telling someone that they are not going to fix the refer because it is out warranty is whole less costly than a lawsuit.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:47 AM   #9

My only problem with the fix is that the shield now blocks the fridge gas shutoff valve. I was considering drilling a 3/8 inch hole in the shield to have screwdriver access to the valve. Wonder if that would void any liability by Dometic?
zigzagrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #10

After having a few days to digest all of this and to read the recall notice multiple times I have com to the following:

1) The recall does not fix the rel problem - Fatigue cracks....

2) All verbage about NOT using the refrigerator on propane and even electricity before the recall is now ok after the recall.

3) I get the feeling that there is an IMPLIED No Warranty repair should the unit fail and you have the recall installed. I am not speaking of a fire either.

I feel that Dometic is just trying to reduce their product liability. So, to that end I wrote a letter to Dometic to document that they are not off the hook in my book. I sent it Certified mail.

What do you think???
Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Having had the "fix" performed on our replacement cooling unit (the first failed @ 3 years) on the second round of the recall, I agree that the root cause problem hasn't been solved. One other aggravation that I've noted - with the new shield, the small window that one could check to see if the fridge pilot is lit is no longer visible. Verifying that the fridge is indeed lit is now a major operation that requires jamming one's head into the fridge area to the left of the shield in order to peek around it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #12

I hate to be a spoil sport, but how about using a small mirror to peek around and see if it is lit?

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Right. I'll stop at NAPA and buy a mechanic's mirror to keep in the fridge compartment on the way home today.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale,

To add to the confusion-- My unit was under the first recall. When I took it in for the mod, they determined I was leaking Ammonia (green residue on the heater flu). My unit was just under 5 years old and they replaced the cooling unit. I had to pay 2 hours extra for labor.

What amazes me is they don't put the kit on the new cooling unit-- Why not? My replaced unit, now,looks exactly like yours looked before the mod was done.

I understand that newer units have only a 3 year replacement warranty. My friend with an
'04 DSDP had to pay out of his pocket at the 3 1/2 year point-- It was leaking ammonia also--ugh!