Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dometic stopped working, burped it and all is good again

Last weekend my Dometic model NDA1402 side by side refrigerator stopped cooling. I woke up Sunday to find water on the floor due to all the ice in the ice maker melted. I checked everything and all systems worked as they were supposed to both gas and electric so after checking everything and pricing new refrigerators and reading up on converting to a house fridge I pulled it out of the wall and tried doing what they call burping, plenty of what I read said it doesn't work on the newer refrigerators but I figured no harm in trying, so we turned the fridge on its side with the burner tube on the bottom side for about 10 minutes then upside down for 24 hours then over to the other side with the burner tube on the top side for 10 minutes then back on its feet and plugged it in and the next morning it was -1 in the freezer and 29 in the refrigerator. So brought new life back to my 7 year old Dometic.

Daytripper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

The process , moves the crystals that form internally in absorption system, and block the internal passages for the ammonia solution.
You may continue to have issues if the crystals get in the wrong place again.
JMHO: As soon as possible , with no items in the fridge area that can freeze, run the fridge on MAX cold for 48 hrs on propane. The constant high temperatures of the ammonia solution will help dissolve the crystals.
Use of the propane gets more heat to the whole chimney, instead of the electric element that concentrates the heat on one side of the chimney.
I had a 3.2 cu.ft Dometic in my mountain cabin, that needed this done every spring to get it going for summer , after being exposed to -40 temps for weeks on end over the winter. Fridge was still operating after 20 years when I sold the cabin.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Skip thanks for the input, I will do that tomorrow
Daytripper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper63 View Post
Last weekend my Dometic model NDA1402 side by side refrigerator stopped cooling. I woke up Sunday to find water on the floor due to all the ice in the ice maker melted. I checked everything and all systems worked as they were supposed to both gas and electric so after checking everything and pricing new refrigerators and reading up on converting to a house fridge I pulled it out of the wall and tried doing what they call burping, plenty of what I read said it doesn't work on the newer refrigerators but I figured no harm in trying, so we turned the fridge on its side with the burner tube on the bottom side for about 10 minutes then upside down for 24 hours then over to the other side with the burner tube on the top side for 10 minutes then back on its feet and plugged it in and the next morning it was -1 in the freezer and 29 in the refrigerator. So brought new life back to my 7 year old Dometic.

WOW! That's great!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic