Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I have one of the dual zone thermostats (Dometic) in my 97 HR. From all appearances, the temperature indicator is about 7 degrees off. I believe it is registering 7 degrees hotter than it really is in the coach. Does anyone know if these can be adjusted to reflect the correct temp?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have one of the dual zone thermostats (Dometic) in my 97 HR. From all appearances, the temperature indicator is about 7 degrees off. I believe it is registering 7 degrees hotter than it really is in the coach. Does anyone know if these can be adjusted to reflect the correct temp?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Darryl, where is the t"stat located? If it is on an exterior wall, in direct sunlight or near a heat source, this can effect the temperature operation. Also there are some remote thermistors that may not be properly mounted. I have found some that were not completely pulled out of the wall in construction and so it was sensing the temperature inside the wall. Also do you have your owners manual? If not let us know the model of thermostat (there are a couple different ones) so we can let you know of the reset proceedure. Reset is not a guarrantee to fix your problem but may.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike and thanks for your reply. It is the 4 button "Comfort Control", Duo-Therm by Dometic. It has two zones. The zone up front is the one that has the furnace control. My A/C's are just that, not heat pumps. The thermostat is mounted on an exterior wall. I'm actually using the RV this weekend and hope to get an exact figure of how many degrees it's off.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #5

Darryl
I have the same thermostat on a 2000 HR Endeavor. Mounted to the outside wall. Behind the thermostat, I found a very large hole made to pass a very small wire. I sealed up the hole with foam from a pool noodle, and it helped the thermostat operation a lot. Hope this helps...Fred
Old 01-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition to sealing the wiring hole, mount the t'stat on some plastic or rubber washers (the kind used in faucets work great). Just undo the base plate mounting screws and slip the washers behind the base plate and secure it. Getting the t'stat from direct contact with the wall will really improve the operation.

Ken
Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #7

Consider mounting it off the wall with a small block of wood, the thermal properties will reduce heat and cold transference from the outside wall. I use this method for mounting temp sensors on metal collums in industrial facilitys.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If anyone knows.... On a dual heat pump system with a Dometic thermostat, where would the rear and front units sensors be located?
My rear heat pump runs forever in the heat mode, almost never recycling. Really gets warm back there.
The front unit seems ok.

jimmy
Old 01-12-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jimmy, the builder of the coach installs the thermistors almost any where. THey are very tiny and I have seen them haning out of the bottom of a cabinet a 1/4", in walls behind a small vented cover, behind a raised flat cover and when not installed properly, in the wall itself. Look for a strange looking object on the walls first. Otherwise you could call HR customer service and ask specificlly where it is supposed to be located on your unit; have coach year and serial # ready. Good luck and let us know how you do.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your reply Mike.
I have removed the circuit board thermostat and discovered a very small capacitor looking thing, attached to the board, that protrudes from the bottom of the case. I assume that this is a thermistor.
Don't you think there would be another one controlling the rear unit or would there be only this one controlling both units.
I'm thinking that there is only one thermistor. That would explain why the rear heat pump runs so long.
It would help to know how the two ac's are connected to the thermostat also. It's only a 4 or 5 conductor wire with telephone looking connectors.
I'll call HR but I usually don't get much help from them.
If you think of anything else I'd appreciate the help.

jimmy
Old 01-13-2008, 02:00 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jimmy, the roof units are connected to each other by data cable and one unit to t'stat. THe second thermistor will be connected to the zone 2 unit. You should find it in the rear of the coach if the t'stat is located nearer the front. What you have seen on the t'stat is the thermistor and a remote one will look just like it only with two leads coming off and going to the roof unit. It is usually located behind a cover that is vented so it can sense the temperature of the air. I have seen just the thermistor sticking out of the botom of cabinets ocassionally.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #12

Jimmy, I have a very comprehensive Dometic AC/heat pump trouble shooting guide (134 pages) put out by Dometic. I covers all types of installations and near the end tell how to check the thermistors (using an ohm meter). If you have broad band acces I can email it to you, it's in PDF.

2003 CC Intrigue
Periscope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jim they may not have installed the semsor its happened, should find a white quarter size disk with vent slots. A telephone type wire plug would plug into it. Its needed or like you say , heat pump keeps running.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I found my problem pretty quick after I found out what I was looking for.
The rear thermister was turned around and pushed back into the hole that the wire came out of. That put it behind the bedroom cabinets next to an outside wall. No wonder the heat pump wouldn't recycle. There is a nice little slotted case over the thing and it was under the cabinet below eye level making it hard to see.
Way to go,HR.
Anyway, thanks to you guys who helped me with this thing.
jimmy