Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 AM   #15

Somebody could post the same complaint about getting married. I've known many people who have lost their shirts in marriage yet many of us have been happily married for years.

A one sided story is a........one sided story.

My wife and I met camping when we were 12 years old.........we've been married almost 38 years and we're still camping in RVs. They aren't perfect but neither is life. Explore, have fun and live. It all comes to and end too fast!

dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:23 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been married four times and lost a bunch each of the previous three times. This time I gained a bunch!
DW was used to tent camping so moving to a TT, then MH's was quite a change for her.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #17

Good video. I learned a few things, but nothing that would stop me from buying an RV again. Possibly better supports the theory buying used makes more sense sense. The lesson here is don't spend more than you can afford to loose. My coach is just 1 year old and I've had it back to the dealer 5 or 6 times to get things fixed. I've yet to have my axels catch on fire and it burn to the ground.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:24 AM   #18

Motorhomes ,boats,planes whatever they are all a luxury money pitt if you don't have the means don't play the game. If you don't like it who's fault is it, you should have done your homework.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
I have not had a manufacturer buy back an RV, but in my estimation in my case he would have been ahead to do so. He had to completely replace my coach body down to the frame. It cost him $36000.00 on a 5 year old coach. I ended up with nearly a brand new coach. It was a major manufacturer, possibly the largest and one of the oldest in the business. I am reasonably sure he got help from suppliers of the main coach body, but still he put a lot of money into a 5 year old coach which had depreciated by 50-60 %.

Izzyblueye, Some specifics such as coach manufacturer and specific problems encountered would go a long way in making your post helpful rather than just an unsubstantiated statement, of limited use to the forum!

Manufacturer?
Problems encountered?
What roadblocks did the Dealer throw out?
What did you have to do to get resolution?
Did you buy new? Used?
Name of Dealer?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #20

I purposely wrote it the way I did simply because when ever I have included specifics I have received dozens of inquiries about how I accomplished getting the manufacture to correct a bad situation. This happened in 2005 but it took 5 years of negotiating to get it accomplished and lots of pictures. The dealer never offered a bit of help. Yes it was a new coach purchased in 2001. No one ever lost their temper or became combative during the entire 5 years. No law suits were ever threatened, although as a last resort I would have. The manufacturer is not important to any one, as it was not really his fault, there were many involved. As for being "substantiated", my word has always been my bond. I do not get on these forums just to babble. I have corresponded with a number of buyers with the same problem, not one of them ever responded with what happened in their situation.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #21

Quote:
I purposely wrote it the way I did simply because when ever I have included specifics I have received dozens of inquiries about how I accomplished getting the manufacture to correct a bad situation. This happened in 2005 but it took 5 years of negotiating to get it accomplished and lots of pictures. The dealer never offered a bit of help. Yes it was a new coach purchased in 2001. No one ever lost their temper or became combative during the entire 5 years. No law suits were ever threatened, although as a last resort I would have. The manufacturer is not important to any one, as it was not really his fault, there were many involved. As for being "substantiated", my word has always been my bond. I do not get on these forums just to babble. I have corresponded with a number of buyers with the same problem, not one of them ever responded with what happened in their situation.
Issyblueye, I apologize if this was taken as a personal attack of some kind. I also understand your saying that your word is your bond. I am the same way, but you really have no way of knowing on the internet that I am sincere. That's why I asked for specifics. It's just that as written, with no specifics, I felt that your post is of limited use to me and others in avoiding a similar potential pitfall.

Hopefully others were able to glean more information from your post, but in any case, thanks for being a part of this forum for so long and for providing your experiences in the world of RV'ing! Take care, and safe travels.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #22

Scott thank you for your clarification, you are right the internet is a blank wall.
I will tell you and those interested my problem was called the "Pops" little blisters about the size of a pencil eraser started popping out all over my coach sides. The Manufacturer was Winnebago. They tried to fix the problem through a body shop. It did not work, more and more "Pops" continued to happen every where except the slide out and front door. It got so bad the coach had no value, even though it was meticulously maintained and kept indoors.
I started a dialogue with the Corporate Hq personnel after the first appearance. They thought it might have been water in the spray paint system. I pointed out that they were just as many where no paint was ever applied. I sent reams of pictures every time a new batch would show up. We talked and talked, me being reminded that I was out of warranty. I reminded them about merchant ability aspects and the fact that through no fault of mine the coach was now nearly useless for resale or trade. More pictures, more talk. The dealer who sold it to me was by now bankrupt and out of business and not once did he offer the slightest bit of help. They asked that I bring the coach to the plant 700 miles in the middle of winter. I did, I was willing to go as far as I could with this. They looked it over, they had told me to have the coach prepared to leave it before I took it to them. That meant towing a car in case they decided to keep it. They decided among themselves that I had what is known as the "pops" and it would continue. The company that makes the sidewalls for Winnebago decided they must have had a bad run. It was moisture trapped inside the "Firan" I think they called it, or composite side walls. When the hot sun hit the coach it caused tiny explosions to occur inside the board. This would never stop. So they agreed to put a new body on my frame, the gel caps were not involved at all. It took about 6-8 weeks to accomplish the re-do. I must give credit where credit is due they did a fabulous job, it looked better than the day I bought it new. The special edition I had was not the general inside decor, they were even able to duplicate that perfectly. Because there was a color match difference over 5 years usage, they also replaced the slide out and door. They replaced one front window that was fogged between the pains of glass.
Due to their willingness to go the extra mile I have bought Winnebago since and probably will continue. I might mention that other manufacturers also used the same composite material from the same supplier and as far as I know no one was ever successful in getting any kind of relief for the same kind of problem, from other manufacturers. That is it in a nutshell. I am blessed.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Scott thank you for your clarification, you are right the internet is a blank wall.
I will tell you and those interested my problem was called the "Pops" little blisters about the size of a pencil eraser started popping out all over my coach sides. The Manufacturer was Winnebago. They tried to fix the problem through a body shop. It did not work, more and more "Pops" continued to happen every where except the slide out and front door. It got so bad the coach had no value, even though it was meticulously maintained and kept indoors.
I started a dialogue with the Corporate Hq personnel after the first appearance. They thought it might have been water in the spray paint system. I pointed out that they were just as many where no paint was ever applied. I sent reams of pictures every time a new batch would show up. We talked and talked, me being reminded that I was out of warranty. I reminded them about merchant ability aspects and the fact that through no fault of mine the coach was now nearly useless for resale or trade. More pictures, more talk. The dealer who sold it to me was by now bankrupt and out of business and not once did he offer the slightest bit of help. They asked that I bring the coach to the plant 700 miles in the middle of winter. I did, I was willing to go as far as I could with this. They looked it over, they had told me to have the coach prepared to leave it before I took it to them. That meant towing a car in case they decided to keep it. They decided among themselves that I had what is known as the "pops" and it would continue. The company that makes the sidewalls for Winnebago decided they must have had a bad run. It was moisture trapped inside the "Firan" I think they called it, or composite side walls. When the hot sun hit the coach it caused tiny explosions to occur inside the board. This would never stop. So they agreed to put a new body on my frame, the gel caps were not involved at all. It took about 6-8 weeks to accomplish the re-do. I must give credit where credit is due they did a fabulous job, it looked better than the day I bought it new. The special edition I had was not the general inside decor, they were even able to duplicate that perfectly. Because there was a color match difference over 5 years usage, they also replaced the slide out and door. They replaced one front window that was fogged between the pains of glass.
Due to their willingness to go the extra mile I have bought Winnebago since and probably will continue. I might mention that other manufacturers also used the same composite material from the same supplier and as far as I know no one was ever successful in getting any kind of relief for the same kind of problem, from other manufacturers. That is it in a nutshell. I am blessed.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like although technically, it wasn't Winnebago's fault, it CERTAINLY wasn't YOURS! They (finally) took ownership of the problem, like you said, probably more than other companies might have done. Glad that you have such a good attitude about it, but it's unfortunate that you had to go through what you did to get satisfaction. Many would have given up in disgust much earlier!

Safe travels, and see you down the road!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:28 PM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I might mention that other manufacturers also used the same composite material from the same supplier and as far as I know no one was ever successful in getting any kind of relief for the same kind of problem, from other manufacturers. That is it in a nutshell. I am blessed.
Actually some Newmar owners did also.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:40 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
Been Rving all my life. From tents to trailers and now a motorhome. I feel very fortunate to have had and have this lifestyle. I have been told the two worse purchases are a motorhome and a time share. The motorhome and camping is what we do so I disagree. And, yes, we spent under $100,000 and are very happy and comfortable. Enjoy the adventure.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
Somebody could post the same complaint about getting married. I've known many people who have lost their shirts in marriage yet many of us have been happily married for years.

A one sided story is a........one sided story.

My wife and I met camping when we were 12 years old.........we've been married almost 38 years and we're still camping in RVs. They aren't perfect but neither is life. Explore, have fun and live. It all comes to and end too fast!
You nailed it Dave&Ginny!
Old 01-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #27

I find it funny how some people say omg don't buy an rv, and go on to list all the costs involved. But really..... Not much different than owning a house where you have yard up keep, house needs. New roof, house needs new furnace or the ac unit needs replacing, need new dish washer , toilet Needs replacing, need new Windows etc etc,then there is your property taxes. My point is no matter what you do it's gonna cost money. Just some food for thought.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #28

Don't buy an RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider99 View Post
Been Rving all my life. From tents to trailers and now a motorhome. I feel very fortunate to have had and have this lifestyle. I have been told the two worse purchases are a motorhome and a time share. The motorhome and camping is what we do so I disagree. And, yes, we spent under $100,000 and are very happy and comfortable. Enjoy the adventure.

I think timeshares are a joke. I work in a CPA office and you know how CPA's think about RV's......investing into a depreciating asset to loose your ass. I bought our first RV (2015 Winnebago Vista 35F) last year and he thought I was crazy until I reminded him of few things:
1. It's not an investment.
2. We use it for fun adventure.
3. The RV has our "our funk " in it....no one else's such as you may find in a hotel or timeshare.
4. People who go on a hotel/ resort vacation do so to have fun and spend money for a memory. People who have an RV spend money for the RV to have fun, a great memory and meet other RVer's to build camaraderie........ the RV family!